Favorite Coffee

That is the nastiest crap ever.

There is a worse one. Yuban Gold. It was probably a $1/cheaper, so work bought a case of it. Took forever to get rid of that shit.

Going back to Folgers was a step up, but I've spent considerable effort into trying to make it better than it is. Only so much you can do though. The alternatives is bringing in my own K-cups, and that is a whole other rant.

The "pour over" is the same thing a Mr Coffee is doing, or maybe Cuisinart as the #4 filters are cone shaped. A friend of mine has an automatic machine that has some control over the water temp. After that, play around with how much coffee you put in/how it's ground.

After messing with the whole grinding scene for a while, and I know a few people REALLY into it...$600+ dollar grinders; I decided it didn't make a real difference for me. Maybe some people have golden taste buds, or it's in their heads. I'm not going to judge. I buy my coffee ground now.

As with many things, there are compromises. Most days, I'm using a Cuisinart machine from Costco, and I dump a pot of it in a carafe for the day. I got tired of cleaning the French press all the time, cleaning the Moka Pot, waiting for for it to brew or water to heat up. At this point, I get a 90% cup of coffee anytime of the day I want it.

The "pour over" is the same thing a Mr Coffee is doing, or maybe Cuisinart as the #4 filters are cone shaped. A friend of mine has an automatic machine that has some control over the water temp. After that, play around with how much coffee you put in/how it's ground.
You sure about that? The big thing with manual pour overs is waiting for the coffee to off gas and then bloom. So you wet the coffee, have it bubble, then you pour a constant, but larger, amount of water in and wait for it all to bloom and filter through, then do a little more. It's a real patient game to do a pour over. Most drip machines just dump the hot water on to the beans and don't do off-gassing, which is supposed to reduce the bitterness.

There is a worse one. Yuban Gold. It was probably a $1/cheaper, so work bought a case of it. Took forever to get rid of that shit.

Going back to Folgers was a step up, but I've spent considerable effort into trying to make it better than it is. Only so much you can do though. The alternatives is bringing in my own K-cups, and that is a whole other rant.
The last company I worked for bought Folgers by the pallet and shipped it to the deployed forward sites along with parts and POL, so we got the leftovers. Slightly better than the Bunn coffee service gold bag shite, which tasted like wet brown paper towels.

I actually think Yuban is incrementally better than Folger's, and that's after saying that Yuban's primary value is the can, not the coffee in it.

You sure about that? The big thing with manual pour overs is waiting for the coffee to off gas and then bloom. So you wet the coffee, have it bubble, then you pour a constant, but larger, amount of water in and wait for it all to bloom and filter through, then do a little more. It's a real patient game to do a pour over. Most drip machines just dump the hot water on to the beans and don't do off-gassing, which is supposed to reduce the bitterness.
Here's Evan Hafer demonstrating pour over in 2017 (with his stuff of course):

For those of you who do not know, Evan is a former Green Beret and CIA... erm... employee, and the founder of BRCC.

Here's Evan Hafer demonstrating pour over in 2017 (with his stuff of course):

For those of you who do not know, Evan is a former Green Beret and CIA... erm... employee, and the founder of BRCC.

I like his choice in beer. :D

Here's the nutty pour over technique I know from my days at a fancy pants SF-based company you probably all know who's CEO's name rhymes with Black Horsey where coffee was a big part of the corporate culture:

Thanks for saving me the time of having to explain the differences. :) Some may think they
are nonsensical and of no matter, but those small details make a massive difference, in
my experience.

“The heating elements in the majority of cheaper automatic home brewers don’t really get hot enough to brew and extract all of the delicious flavors that balance out the more acidic, sour compounds that are extracted first." He recommends using hot water just off the boil when brewing, especially with lighter roasts.

https://www.delish.com/kitchen-tools/a36213435/best-tips-making-coffee-at-home/

240 pages on how to make a cup of coffee. No kidding!! :)

41YjZhakpNL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Isn't coffee that's 'processed' by a civet cat the absolute pinnacle of coffee goodness? There are those that would have you believe that....o_O

After years of trying every brand at home and many coffee shops and chains. Finally settled on my favorite. Not a big fan of stbux or other places that make it strong for strong’s sake or where the beans taste burned. I’ve also tried a lot of local shops including Blue Bottle out in San Francisco and a few other spots. I don’t go for tasting fruit notes in my coffee. I like a plain cup of neutral black coffee like the best version of a cup from an all-night diner. I found it and I brew it at home. Pictures below. Disclaimer: I have a very good burr grinder for the beans and a good coffee maker (Moccmaster by a company called Technivorm). Btw, I’m in Texas and honorable mention goes to another Austin company called Cuvée.
View attachment 86939

Wanted to give a shout out to #DallasGlenn2005 here. I just got my first batch of Ruta Maya and am enjoying my first cup as I type this. Great coffee. Thanks for the tip!

I tried the pour over but unfortunately we don't have the correct kettle at home, our "tea" kettle has a short and wide spout that's just not right for that process. But I like the concept and its a great idea for when you just want to brew one cup.
If you get a longneck kettle, the process of pouring over is super meditative.

Last edited:
If you get a longneck kettle, the process of pouring over is super meditative.

By "super meditative" do you mean "finicky?" ;)

My first experience with pour over was while camping in my 20s. I had
to try and fathom why the coffee was so damn good when camping, and
for a long while I chalked it up to it being "because we were camping!" :)

It was just whatever kettle we had, some pre-ground coffee, and a cheap
paper filter. But damn. Yum! Never not good coffee when backpacking and
hiking, or canoe camping on a 4 day trip down a River.

Once I matured a little I realized it had a lot to do with the method. So I upped
my beans, my grind game, got a kettle and a pot and started to do pour over
exclusively at home everyday. Never looked back. It helps that I don't like to rush
into mornings (my day never goes good if I have to) and like the patient start that
it requires.

I also feel it is one of the more economical of all the methods, if not the most economical.
Very seldom need to replace any worn out equipment, and the start up costs are less than $100.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom