Help with this delay setup

Billbill

Power User
Hey guys. I'm trying to tweak this patch in my AxeFx it's a delay from the intro to Youth Of The Nation by POD. I got it about 95% there all except for this weirdish, very slight and quick overdrive/buzzing bee sorta sound that happens on the low E string it. Listen close you can hear it, its something else going on other than delay in the isolated sound sample link below. Maybe it's not OD and a lightly mixed ring mod sound? Tell me what you hear/think.

sounds like degradation/overdrive on the repeats. are you using a vintage or tape delay?
Currently experimenting with them all. I tried to up the amp drive that just slopped the delay. Then tried a drive block before amp and that worked a little better but still slopped it. Then after them two failures i tried two amps parallel one slightly dirtier and that was a lot better! It got me that light drive sound but still missing that popping buzz-like attack at the initial strike of the note. Oh those subtle details are a cure for us folks that can frikkin hear everything:/

I hear distortion on the low-string notes. The delay is in front of the distortion (notice how the distortion decays as the repeats decay). And there are two guitars playing; otherwise, intermodulation distortion would make it impossible to get that sound.

I hear distortion on the low-string notes. The delay is in front of the distortion (notice how the distortion decays as the repeats decay). And there are two guitars playing; otherwise, intermodulation distortion would make it impossible to get that sound.
Not sure I understand that completely. I'm not saying I disagree w/you but I guess my ears can't dice the audio as good as yours; I'm not hearing two guitars. Are u saying the low notes are from a completely separate guitar that's distorted?

I hear distortion on both low and the higher notes just different attack. I don't believe it's two guitars either. However, I do believe there's some major studio trickery happening

I hear distortion on both low and the higher notes just different attack. I don't believe it's two guitars either. However, I do believe there's some major studio trickery happening
It’s two guitars. If you tried do do that with distortion on just one guitar, you’d get a different kind of distortion whenever two or more strings are ringing out at the same time. We call that kind “intermodulation distortion.” Intermodulation would prevent you from being able to make it sound like the recording. Intermodulation is not present in that clip.

It’s two guitars. If you tried do do that with distortion on just one guitar, you’d get a different kind of distortion whenever two or more strings are ringing out at the same time. We call that kind “intermodulation distortion.” Intermodulation would prevent you from being able to make it sound like the recording. Intermodulation is not present in that clip.
Thanks @Rex i appreciate the breakdown. I think I'm getting u now after looking up some YouTube vids on "IMD". One guy showed an example on distorted guitar but he stated it's was "when using heavy distortion". I wouldn't think we'd be able to hear it with that subtle of a distortion tone, and the initial hit of the distorted low note being repeated, would IMD be present in the repeats of low note as the higher note is played? Is that kinda what you're saying?

Thanks @Rex i appreciate the breakdown. I think I'm getting u now after looking up some YouTube vids on "IMD". One guy showed an example on distorted guitar but he stated it's was "when using heavy distortion". I wouldn't think we'd be able to hear it with that subtle of a distortion tone, and the initial hit of the distorted low note being repeated, would IMD be present in the repeats of low note as the higher note is played? Is that kinda what you're saying?
That's pretty much it. Any time you mix two frequencies together, and then pass that mix through distortion, you'll get intermodulation distortion. In the clip you posted, the low notes are ringing out at the same time as the high notes. If all those notes were coming from the same guitar, they'd pass through the amp's distortion and produce intermod. But there is no audible intermod. Therefore, there must be two guitars.

Want to hear intermodulation distortion for yourself? Just dial in a tone that's at least moderately distorted. Play just one note, and let it ring out. Then play another note, and let it ring out. Now play both of those notes at the same time, and let them ring out. Hear that raunchy, heavy-attitude stuff? That's intermod.

Want to hear intermodulation distortion for yourself? Just dial in a tone that's at least moderately distorted. Play just one note, and let it ring out. Then play another note, and let it ring out. Now play both of those notes at the same time, and let them ring out. Hear that raunchy, heavy-attitude stuff? That's intermod.
Here: this'll make it really stand out.

Play a B note on the 12th fret of the B string. Now play a D note on the 10th fret of the high E string. Now play both of those notes together. The difference will be immediately noticeable, even with light distortion.

Here: this'll make it really stand out.

Play a B note on the 12th fret of the B string. Now play a D note on the 10th fret of the high E string. Now play both of those notes together. The difference will be immediately noticeable, even with light distortion.
Ahhh I see what you mean. Yeah now that I listen to that track again these just way too much clean separation between notes for one guitar!

Reactions: Rex
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't hear anything unusual here. It's just one guitar with a 1/4 analog delay with the feedback turned up and a little ping pong.

Back
Top Bottom