Reamp with SPDIF - Focusrite 8pre

CyanideX

Hi,

I watched the video from Jeremiah McGowan on the FX2 how to reamp with SPDIF, but obviously the options are different in the AXE FX 3. I just can't seem to get it to work. I get a DI signal and can record that just not able to change to reamp. Is this actually possible using this method in the AXE FX 3?

I have changed digital input source to SPDIF, and SPDIF/AES out source to input 1.

other than that I'm lost. I don't see any info on doing this apart from with the AXE FX 2.

This ↑. Set SPDIF/AES Out Source to Input 1 and Input 1 Source to Analog to capture the DI track, and then change SPDIF/AES Out Source to Output 1 and Input 1 Source to Digital to capture the processed signal when reamping.

This ↑. Set SPDIF/AES Out Source to Input 1 and Input 1 Source to Analog to capture the DI track, and then change SPDIF/AES Out Source to Output 1 and Input 1 Source to Digital to capture the processed signal when reamping.
I'd add that you have to point your clock source to SPDIF too, instead of internal. Otherwise it won't be able to sync the clock. However, you could also set the Focusrite 8pre's clock source to SPDIF, and then it would sync to the AXE FX III's clock on the SPDIF output.

Do I need to physically connect the 8pre clock to the AXE? Also thanks loads guys, I will try this config later when I can!

Not having much luck with this,

Maybe I'm just stupid! Confused for sure :)

I have a DI track that i can listen to in the DaW no issues,

I set the clock source in the Focusrite 8Pre to S/PDIF, I left the AXE to internal,

INPUT - 1 Source Digital,

All I get is the DI track sound still through playback in my Mixcraft DaW.

Hoping someone can help me :) It must be how im configuring the outputs in Focusrite?

I can't get the Reamp side to work, I would prefer to use the focusrite as I've found quality issues with the USB side of the Reamp through the Fractal, I basically can get the DI track recorded but can't get the DaW to play the AXE amps to arm and record.

Quality issues with USB? It's pristine digital and reamping will be identical to plugging in your guitar. Usually spdif is only used instead of usb when you have configuration requirements in your studio that don't permit usb.

Anyway, it's still not clear to me what you're doing or what your problem is. Can you describe what you are trying to do, how you are doing it, and what is not working right?

I can't get the Reamp side to work, I would prefer to use the focusrite as I've found quality issues with the USB side of the Reamp through the Fractal, I basically can get the DI track recorded but can't get the DaW to play the AXE amps to arm and record.
In your DAW, you have to set the DI track's output to the channel(s) associated with your interface's SPDIF. For example, in my Focusrite, SPDIF is associated with channels 11 and 12. If you don't do this, your DAW won't send the audio from the DI track to the Axe-Fx. Then, you need to create another track that will receive the reamped audio from the Axe-Fx in your DAW, and be sure to enable monitoring on the track so you can hear the reamped audio.

Last edited:
Change the SPDIF/AES source from Input 1 to Output 1 when you are reamping. Otherwise you'll just record another dry DI track instead of the processed output from the Axe III.

Do I need to physically connect the 8pre clock to the AXE? Also thanks loads guys, I will try this config later when I can!
having both spdif in and out connected from focusrite to Axe is sufficient to pass the clock. Focusrite should be set to use external clock with source=spdif (in focusrite control applet)

having both spdif in and out connected from focusrite to Axe is sufficient to pass the clock. Focusrite should be set to use external clock with source=spdif (in focusrite control applet)

If the Axe is your primary interface, yes... If not, I suggest having the Focusrite set as Master Clock (Internal) otherwise you'll have to power the Axe whenever you want to use the Focusrite or switch to internal via Focusrite Control. Having the Focusrite set to Internal and the Axe to external I can just power the Axe whenever I need it and don't switch anything. The Focusrite is always on.

Using SPDIF to AES/EBU with a converter from my FM9 into an Apollo X16 keeping UA Apollo x's as my interfaces (have Apollo X4 too). You guys are awesome on this forum. This post finally got me to where I wanted to be using spdif to DI a guitar track to reamping through spdif. I have two questions though.

1) should I DI in stereo or mono to reamp into a stereo guitar track
2) I just recorded the DI track using input 1 as source so my monitoring was only the dry guitar, Can I use Output 1 analogs to hear the FM9 non-recorded modeled signal? Thanks

Using SPDIF to AES/EBU with a converter from my FM9 into an Apollo X16 keeping UA Apollo x's as my interfaces (have Apollo X4 too). You guys are awesome on this forum. This post finally got me to where I wanted to be using spdif to DI a guitar track to reamping through spdif. I have two questions though.

1) should I DI in stereo or mono to reamp into a stereo guitar track
You can do it either way, but to begin with, I'd recommend stereo. That makes it easier to get the same sound from the Axe-FX as you get when plugging in a guitar.

2) I just recorded the DI track using input 1 as source so my monitoring was only the dry guitar, Can I use Output 1 analogs to hear the FM9 non-recorded modeled signal? Thanks
As long as you're using configuration #4 or #5 in the recording guide, you can monitor the wet sound. You definitely want to hear that when you're recording, not the DI.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Back
Top Bottom