Help with Pitch Follower.

biggness

Power User
-I'm building a new sound with a Sawtooth and Square wave synth.
-I have the source set to off.
-A mixer block later on in the chain with an envelope attached to the level to have dynamics and an "off" for the synth.
-I have the pitch follower attached to the frequency in the synth voices, with the min frequency set to 65.xx hz to match my lowest open string pitch, which is a C.

It works wonderfully on the lower strings, but once you start ascending the fretboard, it starts to creep into dissonance a bit.

Is there something I can do in the modifier menu to fine tune it?

I think the Axe III pitch follower range still corresponds to E2 -50 cents (~80.1 Hz) to F#6 +50 cents (~1523 Hz). You'd want to set min/max as close as possible to those frequencies, fine-tuning with very slight scale and/or offset adjustments. You wouldn't be able to play notes below standard guitar low E with this approach.

I'm pretty sure the synth blocks use global input pitch detection, so another method would be to use pitch + env. tracking, and send another synth block's voice (constant level, tracking off) into that synth block. Then you could play below E, and the pitch response should be somewhat faster. If you don't need any L/R separation of the two voices you could even do this with one synth block plus a send/return pair and proper routing/panning.

Occasionally I've wished for a "pitch only" synth tracking option, maybe with a built-in gate for convenience, but otherwise not affecting the voice's level. Currently you'll need to do something resembling the above approaches. A looper recording or delay hold of a synth tone could also work for the level source in the second method, leaving both synth blocks free.

I think the Axe III pitch follower range still corresponds to E2 -50 cents (~80.1 Hz) to F#6 +50 cents (~1523 Hz). You'd want to set min/max as close as possible to those frequencies, fine-tuning with very slight scale and/or offset adjustments. You wouldn't be able to play notes below standard guitar low E with this approach.

I'm pretty sure the synth blocks use global input pitch detection, so another method would be to use pitch + env. tracking, and send another synth block's voice (constant level, tracking off) into that synth block. Then you could play below E, and the pitch response should be somewhat faster. If you don't need any L/R separation of the two voices you could even do this with one synth block plus a send/return pair and proper routing/panning.

Occasionally I've wished for a "pitch only" synth tracking option, maybe with a built-in gate for convenience, but otherwise not affecting the voice's level. Currently you'll need to do something resembling the above approaches. A looper recording or delay hold of a synth tone could also work for the level source in the second method, leaving both synth blocks free.
Much appreciated! I'll let you know the fruits of my labor lol

Back
Top Bottom