effects have all gone mono or lop-sided...

Thanks, paranoid. I tried a system reset - Utility - Reset - Enter to reset or cancel - i selected Enter to execute reset.
Is that all there is to it for a system reset? Including global parameters? Three clicks and done?

BTW - the reason i ask is that nothing much happened and i still get the same results..

Last edited:
Are you sure Output 1 mode is set to stereo?

Nothing else in the system parameters should cause this.

If you play a short note with ping-pong delay, can you see levels of the repeats alternating between the L & R Out 1 meters at the Utility: Status page?

Try selecting a mono delay type. What happens to the delay sound with the "echo pan" parameter set to each extreme?

Thank you Ba
Are you sure Output 1 mode is set to stereo?

Nothing else in the system parameters should cause this.

If you play a short note with ping-pong delay, can you see levels of the repeats alternating between the L & R Out 1 meters at the Utility: Status page?

Try selecting a mono delay type. What happens to the delay sound with the "echo pan" parameter set to each extreme?
Thanks for your help, Bakerman.
output 1 mode is stereo.
Yes! I do see the ping ponging on the meters, left then right, but do not hear it on right side.
When i use a mono delay i DO hear it in left only and then right only when i sweep the echo pan.

Last edited:
If you have the XL/XL+ you could try the backup firmware, if not you could pull the CMOS battery for a few seconds, that'll reset it all.

If you have the XL/XL+ you could try the backup firmware, if not you could pull the CMOS battery for a few seconds, that'll reset it all.
Thanks, Repartee41. Pull the CMOS battery for a few seconds. Cool. I had not heard of that before. Does this allow anything that may have been done to the unit - including global changes, to be forgotten, so that the unit resorts to defaults for everything? Does this retain the presets and set them to default? - would be nice.

OK. I'm getting some stereo action now. Looks like the 'system reset' actually worked. As soon as i changed the 'ratio' i also got stereo from 'stereo delay' again.
With the 'ping-pong' delay the 'pong' is at a lower level than the 'ping' though, so i didn't hear the pong at first. I imagine the lower pong is normal - and can compensate with balance control set to right of center. I'll look for any other weirdness but for now thanks to all for the many suggestions and helpful questions.

Last edited:
Maybe just for the heck of it, replace that battery before you get all your settings back to where you want them (assuming they didn't save.)

Thanks, Repartee41. Pull the CMOS battery for a few seconds. Cool. I had not heard of that before. Does this allow anything that may have been done to the unit - including global changes, to be forgotten, so that the unit resorts to defaults for everything? Does this retain the presets and set them to default? - would be nice.
Every single possible thing is reset when the battery is pulled, it's as if fresh from the factory, but on wherever firmware you installed. No presets, no global settings, nothing.

OK. I'm getting some stereo action now. Looks like the 'system reset' actually worked.
The 'pong' is at a lower level that the 'ping' though, but i imagine this is normal - and can compensate with balance control set to right of center. I'll look for any other weirdness but for now thanks to all for the many suggestions and helpful questions.
That's normal. Glad to hear resetting the parameters worked, hope you can find which one to prevent future accidents.

Incidentally, what is the best way to replace the battery without loosing presets? Replace the battery with the unit turned on?

Incidentally, what is the best way to replace the battery without loosing presets? Replace the battery with the unit turned on?
I've heard of that before but haven't ever tried it or looked deep enough to confirm its legit. Best practice would be to back everything up, swap batteries, and restore the unit.

i don't think this had anything to do with system settings or the battery.

if you actually have 2 cables coming out of Left and Right physical outputs, and if you manually panned things and got signal in each side independently, then it was setup in stereo the entire time.

a Stereo delay with no difference between the Left and Right delay will produce a mono delay since nothing is different between Left and Right. Ping Pong delays can be quiet if Feedback is low, meaning that the 2nd repeat is already very quiet.

i don't think this had anything to do with system settings or the battery.

if you actually have 2 cables coming out of Left and Right physical outputs, and if you manually panned things and got signal in each side independently, then it was setup in stereo the entire time.

a Stereo delay with no difference between the Left and Right delay will produce a mono delay since nothing is different between Left and Right. Ping Pong delays can be quiet if Feedback is low, meaning that the 2nd repeat is already very quiet.
It's possible that it was a comedy of errors on my part, but i did notice stereo started working on reverbs right after resetting.

Back
Top Bottom