effects have all gone mono or lop-sided...

BillyZeppa

Power User
Hi Guys. Oh no. So all of a sudden all the effects blocks in my II are mono or otherwise messed up. I assume it's not hardware related - panning of output channels works as expected. I may have changed something in the unit inadvertently. Is there a global stereo-spread control that i somehow messed up? If not, then i am assuming i need to return the unit to default configuration . What software/firmware procedure do people recommend to restore the unit to working order after a glitch like this? I have nothing i need to preserve preset-wise so if i need to re-install Ares that's OK. Thanks for you help, all. Ares 2.0

Last edited:
most of the effects are mono. do you mean they are only coming out left or right? possibly Take a look at the i/o menu settings, see if the output settings are stereo, or copy left right, or mono.

Thanks for the help, paranoid. Output 1 mode = stereo. For example, with the stereo delay block, the stereo delays come down the center instead of panned left and right.

Last edited:
upload a preset that should have stereo effects so someone can verify before you reset things without knowing the cause.

Thanks for the help, Chris. Here is one of the presets. They all seem to have the same problem - reverb block is also mono and diminished level.. The preset has stereo delay and reverb blocks. Does this preset have normal stereo imaging for you guys?

Attachments

• EVH 5150 III RED world_20210731_140522.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
with 2 500ms delays panned from each other the separation is hard to hear unless the you bypass one of the delays.

getting panned delays with your preset on my unit
Thanks for checking, paranoid. Does this indicate that it might be a global setting on my unit?
Is there a global 'spread' setting i should check? If not i guess i should try to install Ares 2.0 again? Thanks. I don't think it could be hardware or connections - i am using headphones out right now, and can pan output channels hard right or left no problem.

Last edited:
Your preset isn't doing anything to make the delay sound like it's stereo, since you're sending a mono signal to equal L & R delays. Try turning the delay's "ratio" parameter down a bit, or just select ping-pong type for testing.

Thanks for checking, paranoid. Does this indicate that it might be a global setting on my unit?
Is there a global 'spread' setting i should check? If not i guess i should try to install Ares 2.0 again? Thanks. I don't think it could be hardware or connections - i am using headphones out right now, and can pan output channels hard right or left no problem.
Try changing the ratio in delay 1. As you have it the delays are the same in both sides so you can not hear the stereo field.

OK, when i load 'ping pong' delay into the block I am getting a ping (on left side), but no 'pong' (on right side). Balance is centered and 'spread' is set to 100%.

Back
Top Bottom