from Friedman BE100 Deluxe to Axe FX III?

I have both the real BE 100 deluxe and the AXE 3. I can get the AXE 3 close enough that nobody would know the difference quite honestly but I use real 412 cabinets and can still get a great tone at whisper volumes. Lately I have been running my BE 100 Deluxe with the AXE 3 in 4CM and the results are beyond amazing. The BE Deluxe has an amazing master volume that you can get down to whisper volumes and still sound like EVH as a tone example but now with the AXE 3 in 4CM I let the AXE 3 control the overall volume and get go from whisper to blistering loud hence why my Boss Waza TAE is in the classified section now. Overall the real amp sounds rounder and beefier in the lower mid section whereas no matter how much I dial in the AXE 3 I cannot replicate it to a "T". Close enough but still slightly off.
Either way both are amazing pieces of gear.

I'd like to hear clips of any axe3 BE100 with frfr. BE100 owner, not getting there with out a cab and pa. Axe3 is amazing and is not a comparison to any one amp, it isn't reality to say a effects processor is an alternative to any amp head. The ax3 goes far beyond any single amplifier head. I believe that's a huge part of the magic. It sounds fantastic. It's not a BE100 tho. How could it be, it doesn't have the same type of power and or properties. Axe3 for an apartment or quiet environment is another no brainer. To many options to mention. I just do not agree it's a comparison by any means. Maybe a compromise IMO

Last edited:
Interesting!
What monitors do you use the fractal with?
I use a Friedman ASM-12 FRFR or headphones. Another thing to remember - with the Axe you’re getting tones through a microphone. It’s a different vibe than a straight head to cab in a room. For me personally, that was the sound I was always chasing, so it’s a win; if you want the ‘amp in the room’ vibe you can get that too, but it’s a whole separate way of setting the Axe up.

What was the frfr rig?
ASM12, but to be fair I did not have the correct cab for the BE. I was playing it thru a Genz Benz 2x12 G flex cab.

Clips are not going to do anyone any good because you need to hear it in the room.

Yes the axe is more of a studio sound, micd up etc, but with the ASM.. it has a lot of cab knock similar to a real cab (so hyped lows likely but it sounds good) and if you crank it up to the point it’s moving air like you would playing with real drummer, then you are getting room reflections like you would with a real cab. It sounds just like a real cab to me but with a wider dispersion. Anyway that’s my opinion and probly many will disagree. You’ll have to hear it for yourself ideally.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear clips of any axe3 BE100 with frfr. BE100 owner, not getting there with out a cab and pa. Axe3 is amazing and is not a comparison to any one amp, it isn't reality to say a effects processor is an alternative to any amp head. The ax3 goes far beyond any single amplifier head. I believe that's a huge part of the magic. It sounds fantastic. It's not a BE100 tho. How could it be, it doesn't have the same type of power and or properties. Axe3 for an apartment or quiet environment is another no brainer. To many options to mention. I just do not agree it's a comparison by any means. Maybe a compromise IMO
that’s difficult, you have to hear that in person because the FRFR speaker sounds already like a miced cab and you won’t get good results if you mic them again and compare them to a 4x12.
All I can say is, I compared a few amps, a Friedman BE 100 Deluxe, a SLO 100, a JCM 800, a JTM 45 and a Vox AC30 from the sixties.
And I do not regret selling them! (The AC30 is not mine)
I don’t muss anything when I compare them with my FRFR Setup (Red Sound MF10 or Elis 8 but there are a lot of good speakers out there and some will prefer other speakers)
Cheers
Sash

that’s difficult, you have to hear that in person because the FRFR speaker sounds already like a miced cab and you won’t get good results if you mic them again and compare them to a 4x12.
All I can say is, I compared a few amps, a Friedman BE 100 Deluxe, a SLO 100, a JCM 800, a JTM 45 and a Vox AC30 from the sixties.
And I do not regret selling them! (The AC30 is not mine)
I don’t muss anything when I compare them with my FRFR Setup (Red Sound MF10 or Elis 8 but there are a lot of good speakers out there and some will prefer other speakers)
Cheers
Sash
Understood and I like the axe3. However, use an overhead mic then, simple , to say its hard to mic an frfr is the ongoing conclusion of , its sounds like a cab after its micd* Any amplifier I've owned , including a Be100 and Friedman moded jmp/kitchen sink I've never considered I am listening to a micd cab with said microphone going to a board or whatever to enjoy the sounds of it or any tube amp. I can use a cell phone and record phenomenal results. Should be simple enough to do the same with frfr, I guarantee it wont sound the same as a Be100 and cab, so there's that. Frfr is cool and fun and sounds great. To say that is a good comparison to a be100 and a 4x12 isn't reality. To end the ridiculous comparison, when you go audition an amp to purchase do you make your decision on how it sounds after it's micd and mixed into a pa or said monitor? I guarantee YOU or 95% of anyone who demos one live isn't buying it because of what it sounds like after its micd up. A 4x12 without a mic kicks ass period, does not need any " well that's what it sounds like after its micd. I purchase a tube amp on how it feels and sounds thru a traditional cab. Not a micd one. Feel, tone, quality. Ymmv

In line with the OP question. How does a axe3 compare to BE100.. not how does it compare after its micd up. Regardless, at bedroom volume a BE100 shouldn't even be a discussion IMO. A half stack isnt something that's been pioneered from a bedroom, I would never understand anyone purchasing an amp with headroom that do not need or will never use. To me it's simple, there is nothing like the real thing, ever. Is the difference so negligible most want know the difference, probably so. However I am not most, I am defined by what inspires me. The axe3 truly inspires 10fold. Sold most of my tube amps, not because of the axe or Mary Poppins, because I had them and enjoyed them for many years. I still own a couple and still gig with them. I am not touring the world so I do not have a fly rig. Peace:)

Last edited:
Understood and I like the axe3. However, use an overhead mic then, simple , to say its hard to mic an frfr is the ongoing conclusion of , its sounds like a cab after its micd* Any amplifier I've owned , including a Be100 and Friedman moded jmp/kitchen sink I've never considered I am listening to a micd cab with said microphone going to a board or whatever to enjoy the sounds of it or any tube amp. I can use a cell phone and record phenomenal results. Should be simple enough to do the same with frfr, I guarantee it wont sound the same as a Be100 and cab, so there's that. Frfr is cool and fun and sounds great. To say that is a good comparison to a be100 and a 4x12 isn't reality. To end the ridiculous comparison, when you go audition an amp to purchase do you make your decision on how it sounds after it's micd and mixed into a pa or said monitor? I guarantee YOU or 95% of anyone who demos one live isn't buying it because of what it sounds like after its micd up. A 4x12 without a mic kicks ass period, does not need any " well that's what it sounds like after its micd. I purchase a tube amp on how it feels and sounds thru a traditional cab. Not a micd one. Feel, tone, quality. Ymmv

In line with the OP question. How does a axe3 compare to BE100.. not how does it compare after its micd up. Regardless, at bedroom volume a BE100 shouldn't even be a discussion IMO. A half stack isnt something that's been pioneered from a bedroom, I would never understand anyone purchasing an amp with headroom that do not need or will never use. To me it's simple, there is nothing like the real thing, ever. Is the difference so negligible most want know the difference, probably so. However I am not most, I am defined by what inspires me. The axe3 truly inspires 10fold. Sold most of my tube amps, not because of the axe or Mary Poppins, because I had them and enjoyed them for many years. I still own a couple and still gig with them. I am not touring the world so I do not have a fly rig. Peace:)
I completely disagree with the first part but maybe you didn’t get my point.

The OP never owned a friedman, so i dont see how an axe fx will be any sort of compromise or disappointment.

I completely disagree with the first part but maybe you didn’t get my point.
Maybe you wouldn't agree period, regardless I own both and they ain't the same. Maybe your Friedman had something mine doesn't. Good for you sir. Thanks

For anyone that plays only at home, getting the AXE III is a no brainer. I think it is the absolute best possible tool for this job bar none. There are a lot of working musicians on this forum that play live (or used to pre-pandemic), but I bet there are even more bedroom players here. You get the best tone and effects at any volume including headphones. No brainer :)

If I couldn't afford an AXE III (or an FM3) I would still buy a different modeller or VST plugins before buying an amp. I just can't get away with the volume of a real amp at home without my family or neighbors killing me. It is a great time to be alive as a guitar player, and modellers fit home players like a glove.

Last edited:
I picked my Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead over the Friedman BE50 Deluxe when I tried them head to head at a store. Bogner had a way better clean channel and the voicing of the overdrive channel was more to my liking with more flexibility in how to use it. Better master volume tapers too but the BE50 did sound pretty good at low volume.

I would suggest that instead of the Axe-Fx 3, go for a FM3. The Axe-Fx 3 is way overkill for most users. Most aren't going to need its massive processing power, stereo amps and whatnot.

If you want another great option, try the BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition. There's probably no Marshall-based tone you can't dial out of that thing and it's affordable and tiny without having any of the complications of digital modelers. I can't recommend this little box enough.

I have both and use both. BE100D->OX gives me great sounds. Also Axe-FX III. There is a clear 'family resemblance' in the sounds, but they are still different enough. To me, the amp->OX is (still) more touch-sensitive. HTH

If you want another great option, try the BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition. There's probably no Marshall-based tone you can't dial out of that thing and it's affordable and tiny without having any of the complications of digital modelers. I can't recommend this little box enough.
How is the BluGuitar on low volume?

I have both the BE deluxe and Axe FX3, and nothing is better than Axe Fx 3 in an apartment situation, even those smaller wattage amps (of which I owned many and sold because of loudness). I do not think that with Axe FX there is a compromise in sound for recording situations. And for apartment level playing, Axe FX even has an advantage over the real amp. I think the main difference is the feel. BE Deluxe have an amazing feel under the fingers , which makes it an easier and really enjoyable amp to play. Btw, I mostly use the BE with a torpedo load box, going into AXE FX to load an ir. So even with same irs, the real amp has some magic in the feel.

Last edited:
Yes me. I had the Friedman BE100 Deluxe with a matching cab and I switched to the Axe FX III and Red Sound Speakers.
I can say that I didn't regret anything. I did love the Friedman but the Axe III is more versataile and I can easily nail the BE 100 Deluxe Sound and the JJ 100 and and and...!

Cheers
Sash
How do like that combination for home, low volume playing or are these Red Sound speakers better for gig situations?
Thanks!

How do like that combination for home, low volume playing or are these Red Sound speakers better for gig situations?
Thanks!
The Red Sound Speakers sound great at low volume but they really shine and bloom up at higher volume. I use them for both, home and gigs/rehearsals.
Cheers
Sash

Back
Top Bottom