Perfect Leslie/Rotary - 60 Second Sounds #8

Rotary is one of my favorite sounds. I don't remember the first time I heard it, probably on a George Harrison or Eric Clapton song, well before I heard Frampton use it. Anyway it's almost always in my presets, and, like you said, it's a replacement for the Chorus block, especially when running into a stereo rig. Having it in the modeler instead of a big, very heavy, cabinet is wonderful.

It seems like Leslie's cabinets ran at varying speeds, and definitely other manufacturers used different speeds, but, based on Wikipedia's article on Leslie speakers, I went with 50 RPM for the slow ("choral") speed and 400 RPM for fast ("tremolo"), or .833 and 6.66 respectively in the Rotary block's A and B channels. I also use 0 for the rate to give me a brake/stop setting on channel C. (50/60=.833 and 400/60=6.66)

Then, on my enable switch on my foot controller I set the hold function to increment from A to B to C then wrap back to A, letting me use one switch to turn it on/off and to switch between the speeds or brake. It works well, but takes a little getting used to when wanting to switch from fast to slow because I have to step through the brake first. It works because of the way the speed ramps down, so two hold presses sounds like I've gone from fast to slow without fully stopping. The custom label for hold is showing what the next press will do, so starting on A, the next press is Fast, then Brake, then Slow.
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 1.11.40 PM.png

I like your other settings more than what I was using, so here's a blend of my RPM settings with yours.

PS - I added my most recent versions of a clean and dirty rotary tweaked with @Joe Bfstplk's setting suggestions, which seem to enhance the ramp/up down sounds.

Attachments

• CC Rotary_20210726_130322.blk
    330 bytes · Views: 51
  • Clean Rotary_20210812_162422.blk
    333 bytes · Views: 13
  • Dirty Rotary_20210812_162336.blk
    333 bytes · Views: 12
Last edited:
Rotary is one of my favorite sounds. I don't remember the first time I heard it, probably on a George Harrison or Eric Clapton song, well before I heard Frampton use it. Anyway it's almost always in my presets, and, like you said, it's a replacement for the Chorus block, especially when running into a stereo rig. Having it in the modeler instead of a big, very heavy, cabinet is wonderful.

It seems like Leslie's cabinets ran at varying speeds, and definitely other manufacturers used different speeds, but, based on Wikipedia's article on Leslie speakers, I went with 50 RPM for the slow ("choral") speed and 400 RPM for fast ("tremolo"), or .833 and 6.66 respectively in the Rotary block's A and B channels. I also use 0 for the rate to give me a brake/stop setting on channel C. (50/60=.833 and 400/60=6.66)

Then, on my enable switch on my foot controller I set the hold function to increment from A to B to C then wrap back to A, letting me use one switch to turn it on/off and to switch between the speeds or brake. It works well, but takes a little getting used to when wanting to switch from fast to slow because I have to step through the brake first. It works because of the way the speed ramps down, so two hold presses sounds like I've gone from fast to slow without fully stopping. The custom label for hold is showing what the next press will do, so starting on A, the next press is Fast, then Brake, then Slow.
View attachment 86478I like your other settings more than what I was using, so here's a blend of my RPM settings with yours.
Based on research I did a while back, I use 408rpm and 48rpm, or 6.8 Hz and 0.8 Hz. 0.833 multiplier for low rotor. Getting the accel/decel rate right on the rotors is key to getting the classic Leslie warbly top/bottom interaction....

Cooper’s settings for the ramp speed of the drum caught my ear several times as I was playing with his settings. “Warble” is a good word for the interaction between the horn and drum.

Looking forward to trying this! Will need to go back and check this series of 60 second sounds, you’ve got me hooked as rotary is one of my favourites as well. Hopefully this will replace my vent. Have a feeling that will be going straight up on reverb after I try this 😂

Harrison used such a great sound, heck, everyone in that era did, and when there was a growling rotary I'd be sucked in.

I had to cut out my intro to fit into 60 seconds, but I talked about how the first time I remembering hearing this sound was on Abbey Road and I wondered what Harrison was playing through! Then I heard Badge and was told it was the guitar going through a rotary organ speaker and my mind was blown! Been one of my favorite sounds ever since!

I had to cut out my intro to fit into 60 seconds, but I talked about how the first time I remembering hearing this sound was on Abbey Road and I wondered what Harrison was playing through! Then I heard Badge and was told it was the guitar going through a rotary organ speaker and my mind was blown! Been one of my favorite sounds ever since!
If you listen to Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds, in the chorus, there's a fast Leslie'd guitar in there....

Something may have gotten lost in translation when importing Cooper's preset into my FM3. What cabs should I expect to see? I show Cab 1 as Legacy #31 (2x15 Doubleshow) and Cab 2 as 1x4 Pig 57, but the Pig is muted. Apart from having IRs of the upper and lower drivers from a real Leslie 122/147 cabinet what cab(s) would you recommend?

It's not clear what you're asking.

You need the IN 1, AMP, CAB1, ROTARY and OUT1 blocks at a minimum. In the CAB block use whatever cabs sound good to you; Since his amp is a Band Commander, perhaps something Fenderish would be good. There is no IR for the Leslie drivers. Watch his video and note the blocks in use.

Something may have gotten lost in translation when importing Cooper's preset into my FM3. What cabs should I expect to see? I show Cab 1 as Legacy #31 (2x15 Doubleshow) and Cab 2 as 1x4 Pig 57, but the Pig is muted. Apart from having IRs of the upper and lower drivers from a real Leslie 122/147 cabinet what cab(s) would you recommend?
I've seen some guys use custom IRs made from actual Leslie. I don't think it's necessary to get a great sound.
Some also like dialing in a Leslie sound just using an amp in a rotary block with no cab. There are a lot of ways to get to a great sound in this unit. That's what's so great about it.

What you're seeing when you pull up the preset is what I chose for this preset: the Doubleshow cab. The pig is in slot 2 muted, because it's the default cab, as it's the first one in the unit.

For what it's worth, the pig cab is actually a great go-to to mix in with your existing sound if you find you're not cutting the way you want or don't have as much bite as you were hoping for when you get into a live scenario.

NOOB question on using the Rotary block... is there any way of switching rotary block speeds without using scenes? Like attaching the speed parameter directly to a footswitch? (I'm coming from Helix land and it seems using scenes for this kind of function kind of limiting).

NOOB question on using the Rotary block... is there any way of switching rotary block speeds without using scenes? Like attaching the speed parameter directly to a footswitch? (I'm coming from Helix land and it seems using scenes for this kind of function kind of limiting).
Yes. I use a control switch and set the speed to switch between 0.8Hz and 6.8Hz when it is switched.

You could use any modifier for it, including a pedal or footswitch, as these guys mention. There are usually many, many avenues to accomplishing just about anything on these units.

I use an LFO Modifier set to square wave to automatically switch between low and high speed. It works really well and you can focus on playing rather then manually switching.

Back
Top Bottom