AFIII Some Aerosmith tunes using Axe-Fx III from my band AErosRocks

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
So tonight we made four quick Aerosmith demos to shop around to booking agents here in Austin for my project band, called AErosRocks.

I used the Axe-Fx III on firmware 15 for all my parts on the material, with a Strat and an SG. Going through a 2x12 Mission Gemini Studio II. Yes, it's PLENTY loud. :cool:

These tunes were all just "cut live, in a room" through Zoom stereo mic recorder with a little post-processing in Logic, near the vocalists monitor, and there are no performance edits - it's raw.

Axe- III stuff on here I did:

Mama Kin (SG) - the intro lead, second rhythm guitar (not main riff with vocals)

Walk this Way (Strat) - verses rhythm figure, both the short leads in the song (not the end)

Lick and a Promise (SG in single coil tap) - rhythm, "Lick and Promise" riff and the short lead, rhythm on outro

Sweet Emotion (SG) - intro "talk box" atmosphere sound, verses riff, main riff between verses with harmony effect added at times, rhythm at end for Kevin's solo.

Credits: Austin's very own Jason McMaster on vocals and percussion, Kevin McKinney on guitar leads, background vocals, Scott Nelson on bass, Rock Glascock on drums and backgrounds, and yours truly on guitar, some leads, rhythm, and some unmic'd background vocals.

Hope you enjoy it!

One thing is bugging - and maybe someone with SoundCloud experience can help me answer. I posted to this .mp3 to Sound Cloud, but when i play it there it's only about 1/3 as loud as it is for the same ,mp3 file on my system? A mystery. I download my upload, to see if that was different -- and it's still the same loudness here. I don't see a volume level on Soundcloud that I am probably missing to adjust it... hopefully this plays loud enough on your end!

Last edited:
FW15....you haven't been able to get the mids dialed in to your liking with Cygnus?
Hi Nathan, I have two AXE-FX IIIs. It's one way I can really "A-B compare" to update my TonePack presets, to make sure I get them where I want them.

I really do like some amps better from FW15 (especially there Tweed Deluxe, which I use here for Walk this Way), but I like others on Cygnus which overall is better and more realistic under my fingers, especially for Marshalls styles.

But, it really depends on the amp model. Firmware 15, for some of the amps I am using, does have a mids edge to it (so does FM3 version for fw 3.0) that works well for live use. But if I switch to Cygnus (which I will eventually) I can boost mids some in the amps and also a little in the PEQ curve I use before the FRFR if needed. This is really personal preference stuff.

Sounds great, especially for a room mic 👏 👏
There is a little EQ on this, some to boost bass drum, some to dip the bass (Scott plays LOUD), and some around 1.2kHz to bring the vocals out a little, plus an SSL stereo buss "glue" compressor. But I agree, it feel like what you might hear being in the back of a room in a club, which was the idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom