Van Halen 1 Cygnus?

OH 412 MRBW Raw D57-V-00
OH 412 MRBW Raw D57-V-FRED ( -7.0 dB )
OH 412 MRBW Raw R-121-00 ( -10.0 dB ) - only if you don't get enough low end ....
I pulled those into Cab-Lab and made a mix to send to my FM3. The mix sounds great on both modelers; I can't hear any difference between the mix or the three separate cabs.

...To blunt that ..., I also put an IR Player right before the AMP and load up James Santiago's IR of a EP-3 Preamp ....

Side Note: @Admin M@ - I've wish listed it a long time ago ..., but I SO wish we could get the EP-3 Pre-amp in the Drive Block ( the Chase Tone® Secret Preamp™ ) would be perfect ! The options we have now, just aren't the same !!!!
Let's get it added in the Amp block as a boost too then.

(There is this: FET Boost Drive Block Settings for the EP Booster.)

With my PRS 509 or Studio guitars I really don't notice much difference with the IR engaged or bypassed but other people's mileage might vary.

Hi, can I try this block in my Axe III?

Here you have a preset integrating all the tips from Burgs and from R.D.

Channel C of the CAB uses the custom Ownhammers as in the picture below. If you don't have them, change the CAB block to channel A,B or D
2021-07-23 14_45_40-Axe-Edit III.png

BTW, my cabs are panned 65R, while Mr. Burgs have them panned 65L. I did that so I could hear my guitar against his guitar while following his great YouTube tutorial

Attachments

• EVH Plexi 50W 6CA7.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I pulled those into Cab-Lab and made a mix to send to my FM3. The mix sounds great on both modelers; I can't hear any difference between the mix or the three separate cabs.

Let's get it added in the Amp block as a boost too then.

(There is this: FET Boost Drive Block Settings for the EP Booster.)

With my PRS 509 or Studio guitars I really don't notice much difference with the IR engaged or bypassed

Here you have a preset integrating all the tips from Burgs and from R.D.

Channel C of the CAB uses the custom Ownhammers as in the picture below. If you don't have them, change the CAB block to channel A,B or D
View attachment 86358

BTW, my cabs are panned 65R, while Mr. Burgs have them panned 65L. I did that so I could hear my guitar against his guitar while following his great YouTube tutorial

Curious: How are you guys monitoring yourselves? What's your speaker setup?

I downloaded the preset you posted @Piing The 50 watt 6CA7 gets some 'zing' with the CAB selections in the preset. I have a 'go to' preset combo I use for almost everything that I tried with this preset and surprisingly (to me) it did not sound good. I may have the OH cabs and will look for them.

Here's MY preset that I've been dinking around with for the last week since my Frankie arrived. Exchanged presets typically don't sound as advertised in my experience, so I don't expect it to sound good to any of y'all. But who knows....You might find some useful items in there. I need to clean it up and I need to do some PEQ-ing to address a few boomy frequencies. But this one sounds good through a single Xitone monitor and also through my DXR-10s. I'd be interested in hearing if it sounds good for anyone else but me. I just realized that the video had a Charvel with JB's .... I'm going to give that a try with the preset that was posted above. The EVH pickups sound great with this preset ....on my rig. Cheers.

Attachments

• EVH Frankie v2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 70
Curious: How are you guys monitoring yourselves? What's your speaker setup?

While tweaking the preset with the video I was monitoring with Audeze LCD-2 headphones. I also have Genelec 8020 and Mackie HR824. Direct to the Axe-FX III as the only audio interface.

With a Suhr Modern Satin it sounds practically identical to Burgs video

You guys are helping me, too! I'm very grateful.

Early EVH is one of the top five tones I wanted to deep dive on when I got my FM3 last week. It's also really cool to come here to hang out and get to see posts by the folks from YouTube who helped me commit to joining the Fractal Audio movement (finally) and also helping me get to work right away. There is so much about this layout that isn't intuitive to me yet. I'd tag them all but don't want to be rude. If you suspect you're among them and you're on YouTube, you're probably right. :yum:

I'll keep following your lead while i try to personalize the tone for me.

As a noob I am currently just trying to nail down great "naked" amp sounds on my own. Not for performance, but for building a small stable of go-to amps that respond well to my hands (performance later, learning-curve first).
The element I'm focusing now is figuring out how to pair and dial in IRs that draw me closer. I use Leon's method of auditioning cabs, and once I find a pair that I like (they need to complement each other, imho, say one that's a little bassy and one that's sharper) I pan them L/R (75-100%) and use the room/air controls to put just a tight room ambience on them to give them presence in space. I have also had good results adding in a little Air at the default (?) 5kHz. It sizzles so nicely! Panning the guitar sound hard left and putting a reverb on the right (as it sounds on the album) is the sort of stuff I would do in my DAW so unless I was jamming with backing tracks I wouldn't use a preset that way. I also need to play with the mic-pre, since I grew up micing cabs and still tend to think that way. Also, the reverbs really do sound a lot better at Normal and above but the CPU hit suggests to me that I should save reverb blocks for playing live and doing the rest in the DAW with plugins when recording.

Since I am so very new here I'll round out that top five tones in no particular order (get to know meee!):
SRV
EVH
Robben Ford
Ty Tabor (Dogman era)
Jake E. Lee (Badlands era)

I'd swap out Jake for Nuno's tone on Punchline, it's one of the best tones put to tape despite the difficulties birthing that album, which are legendary. I can happily wait and will be fine if we don't get a '63 Vibro-verb, since I already have more awesome amps, most of which I only know by reputation, to keep me busy for the forsee-able right here in this magic box.

Still having a hard time believing that part, but every time I turn it on and plug it in... it's still real. Someone pinch me.

Thank you for the video and preset!!

This time you grabbed the solid whammy bar, not the "air whammy" :D

You guys are helping me, too! I'm very grateful.

Early EVH is one of the top five tones I wanted to deep dive on when I got my FM3 last week. It's also really cool to come here to hang out and get to see posts by the folks from YouTube who helped me commit to joining the Fractal Audio movement (finally) and also helping me get to work right away. There is so much about this layout that isn't intuitive to me yet. I'd tag them all but don't want to be rude. If you suspect you're among them and you're on YouTube, you're probably right. :yum:

I'll keep following your lead while i try to personalize the tone for me.

As a noob I am currently just trying to nail down great "naked" amp sounds on my own. Not for performance, but for building a small stable of go-to amps that respond well to my hands (performance later, learning-curve first).
The element I'm focusing now is figuring out how to pair and dial in IRs that draw me closer. I use Leon's method of auditioning cabs, and once I find a pair that I like (they need to complement each other, imho, say one that's a little bassy and one that's sharper) I pan them L/R (75-100%) and use the room/air controls to put just a tight room ambience on them to give them presence in space. I have also had good results adding in a little Air at the default (?) 5kHz. It sizzles so nicely! Panning the guitar sound hard left and putting a reverb on the right (as it sounds on the album) is the sort of stuff I would do in my DAW so unless I was jamming with backing tracks I wouldn't use a preset that way. I also need to play with the mic-pre, since I grew up micing cabs and still tend to think that way. Also, the reverbs really do sound a lot better at Normal and above but the CPU hit suggests to me that I should save reverb blocks for playing live and doing the rest in the DAW with plugins when recording.

Since I am so very new here I'll round out that top five tones in no particular order (get to know meee!):
SRV
EVH
Robben Ford
Ty Tabor (Dogman era)
Jake E. Lee (Badlands era)

I'd swap out Jake for Nuno's tone on Punchline, it's one of the best tones put to tape despite the difficulties birthing that album, which are legendary. I can happily wait and will be fine if we don't get a '63 Vibro-verb, since I already have more awesome amps, most of which I only know by reputation, to keep me busy for the forsee-able right here in this magic box.

Still having a hard time believing that part, but every time I turn it on and plug it in... it's still real. Someone pinch me.
Those 5 are excellent tones. I've chased SRV, EVH and Tabor's (It's Love). Jake E Lee's seems to be a JCM 800 or just a dry Marshall to my ears. More in his fingers. I do believe I read he preferred 75watt Celestions because he preferred the distortion come from the amp, not the speakers. But now he's using a 5153 and presumably the 5153 speakers (guessing). There's an old thread on SRV's tone thread for the AxeII about a preset by Tyler Grund. He has a YT video and goes step by step in how to create. That guy NAILS it. For EVH, this is a great thread. There's so many ways to get to your tones. It's a great journey and you learn so much about amps, EQ, effect chains etc... Try running through the video posted in this thread to get you an EVH going. The early stuff has some sizzle and the panned, plate verb going. I wouldn't get too caught up in IR chasing. It's a rabbit hole for sure. There's plenty of Factory IR's and combos of IR's that will get you there. I have ONE combination that I use for almost everything except cleans. Everyone's set up is different so YMMV.

I'm following this thread with great interest and picking up valuable 'tweaks' and tips. This new video by @Burgs sounds GREAT!!!

Thank you for your input, R.D and Burgs.

I've modified a MF Recty (Thanks to Marco Fanton) and the used these settings/principles

Even though I'm not trying to emulate the EVH sound, I've been able to create a huge and inspiring crunch/lead tone (with Eastman SB59/V).

I get no output with this patch, what am I doing wrong?
Maybe switch Cab channels or it could be the IR Player. In this thread there’s an attachment of an Echoplex preamp that was created as an IR. You could remove the IR player from the signal chain.

Back
Top Bottom