Stupid question re: Axe-Fx III via USB into iPad and laptop simultaneously

Hi gang,

AxeFx-II owner looking at what the III is capable of as I’m designing a new live setup.

Toying with the possibility of running AxeFx-III via USB into an iPad and a MacBook Pro at the same time for audio and MIDI processing at both destinations.

So, a cable with USB-B one end going to 2x USB-A other end, with one of the USB-A’s plugging into Apple’s camera kit for the iPad connection?

Anyone know if it’s doable (err, without damaging the unit 😄)?

Not a deal-breaker, more a really dumb curiosity.

Cheers!

Maybe do the iPad over bluetooth midi. I have a laptop connected via USB with AxeEdit running and an iPhone connected over bluetooth midi with BandHelper for my song changes. Don't know what apps your wanting to run on what and what said apps do?

Good call, and thanks for the quick responses.

I need to process some AxeFx audio in MaxMSP on my laptop, along with sending/receiving MIDI commands.
But I want to keep audio processing to a minimum on the laptop so was hoping to offload some of that work to the iPad with plugins in AUM or Audio Bus. (I know I can do it with an external interface but I'm trying to keep hardware to an absolute minimum; definitely not a dealbreaker on the III.)

Max can do just about anything... my 2012 MacBook Pro on the other hand... :smile:

Sounds like you will need an interface for one of the two devices. Many interfaces do also have MIDI ports, so that could allow you to have audio and MIDI with both devices doing it that way

Good call, and thanks for the quick responses.

I need to process some AxeFx audio in MaxMSP on my laptop, along with sending/receiving MIDI commands.
But I want to keep audio processing to a minimum on the laptop so was hoping to offload some of that work to the iPad with plugins in AUM or Audio Bus. (I know I can do it with an external interface but I'm trying to keep hardware to an absolute minimum; definitely not a dealbreaker on the III.)

Max can do just about anything... my 2012 MacBook Pro on the other hand... :smile:
You'd have to do it serially instead of parallel like others have mentioned. In other words, forward the audio from the laptop to the ipad instead of splitting the usb signal. Or, of course, convert it to analog audio, then split it.

Realistically though, even on a 2012 MBP, you can do quite a bit of audio processing. Also, AUM and audio bus are handy, but the user interface for dealing with audio plugins will be a lot better on your MBP.

Hey 2012 MPB is/was a great machine. Decent i/o ports upgradable to an extent and powerful enough. Bought one new in 2012 CD drive model and used it as a desktop with a thunderbolt display for 3 years till I decided to buy an iMac and sold it. Bought a 21" iMac for music only then got tired of schlepping that to gigs so I sold that and bought another 2012 MBP. LOL Still using it today and it looks cool. Granted looking at that screen sucks after being spoiled by retina displays.

IMG_4204.jpg

Thanks again, guys.

I've already got Touch OSC on the iPad which Max communicates with from the laptop, meaning MIDI control of the iPad is already sorted if I'm happy to set and forget. Therefor maybe an iRig or Rode SC6 to get AxeFx or MBP sound into the iPad if I really insist on taking this route; at least they're small and simple.

If anyone's used either, would be keen for opinions, but it's no biggie. It'll all just a curiosity for now. Regardless, I appreciate the input, it's helped to spin some ideas around!

Bought a 21" iMac for music only then got tired of schlepping that to gigs so I sold that and bought another 2012 MBP. LOL Still using it today and it looks cool. Granted looking at that screen sucks after being spoiled by retina displays.

View attachment 84602
hahaha this is the best. Mine's starting to show its age but I'm still so stoked on the 2012 MBP ♥️

Hi all,

In case it's useful to anyone: this has turned out to be doable through MusicIO and StudioMux apps. Their VSTs will pick up sound from a laptop DAW and route it to an iPad app via a USB cable; the iPad app will then return the processed audio to the DAW via the same cable. No extra dongles or interfaces required. Think of the iPad now as a glorified FX loop.

All iPad MIDI processing is handled by creating a MIDI Network in Audio MIDI Setup via which the iPad and laptop communicate. Super easy to do. So as long as you can get MIDI commands into the laptop you're sweet (the AxeFx will do this).

I'm using the AxeFx-II as my interface (in and out) for all of this but I understand it's kinda off topic for this forum; just figured it might be helpful to some mad scientist out there to know that it is possible to feed the AxeFx signal (wet or dry) into both laptop and iPad plugins simultaneously all via only two USB cables (the lack of extra dongles etc is a big plus IMO).

With the routing opportunities the AxeFx-III affords this could be taken to an even more ridiculous level; parallel USB-based FX loops or loops within loops. Mind bending :) If anyone out there makes use of this info, good luck with whatever crazy live rigs you're dreaming up – I reckon you're awesome! x Dawes

Back
Top Bottom