Terry Kath

Stratman68

Axe-Master
A while back I posted a link to the short intro about Terry Kath's daughter writing\producing a documentary about her father. She was in the process of creating it at the time.
I never saw\heard the final product until today.
Jimi Hendrix knew (and stated) just how good a guitar player Terry Kath was. Documentary is about an hour and 19 minutes.
Well worth the time for me.

Kath is really under appreciated, IMO, compared to his contemporaries. The brass-focus garnered so much attention with Chicago (with good reason) but overshadowed a pretty monster player in those days.

Wow, THANKS for that. I remember her mentioning that, but never followed up on it. Glad she did it. I know what I'm doing for the next hour or so! I always loved Chicago as a kid, especially 25 Or 6 To 4, but never really looked into Terry Kath until much later. Smokin talent!

Terry Kath: great singer, great writer, great guitar player... the first 8 Chicago records are so amazing on so many levels.

So Granma had the guitar all this time! Wonder if Fender will come out wanting to make a relic'd version. I don't get the desire for relic'd guitars, but I doubt there'd be a large enough market, which is a shame, since he was such a monster talent. Just underrated.

Not sure if this will be old news but in July they are releasing all the recordings that were made for the full stint at Carnegie Hall from which the Live From Carnegie album was made way back around the time Chicago III came out.

8 full shows.

Have a feeling it's going to be overkill (and about $180 for CD version), but there will be a lot of live Kath improvisations that have probably not been heard much before on it.

Chicago has never been the same, since we lost it's heart and sole, Terry Kath! I played in a great Horn Band at the time and covered a lot of their tunes, including our own release of their hit "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?". I had to cover other songs by them on guitar, including "25 or 6 to 4", "Lowdown", "I'm a Man" and many more...Terry was truly an inspiration for me and my guitar adventures...

I agree Terry Kath was NOT rated where he should have been with the masses. But, in my experience, he has always been rated with the best by guitar players and other musicians......................

A while back I posted a link to the short intro about Terry Kath's daughter writing\producing a documentary about her father. She was in the process of creating it at the time.
I never saw\heard the final product until today.
Jimi Hendrix knew (and stated) just how good a guitar player Terry Kath was. Documentary is about an hour and 19 minutes.
Well worth the time for me.

Thanks for posting this.

Watched it liked night and enjoyed it. Reminded me of a similar movie about the Wrecking Crew. A group of LA studio musicians who played on an astounding amount of hit records in the 60's and 70's. It was also made also by the child, a son, of one of the members. They played the instruments even on records by groups you thought they played on themselves. Like the Byrds, Beach Boys, Association, etc., and of course The Monkees, but that's no surprise. These guys and girl worked almost 24/7 for a decade. BTW, the mom married Terry Kath and then Jack Bauer? Must have been a hell of a woman.

Just finished watching this. Excellent even for someone not so familiar with Terry.

I knew the name and I'm familiar with Chicago, but more of the later pop period.

What a fucking tragedy and yet another example of drugs wasting a huge potential.

As I was watching the section where they were visiting the ranch with his wife, daughter and grandson I got a video call from my own daughter and my 2 1/2 year old grandson.

I was holding back tears the whole time I was talking because it just hit me so hard that his family had missed out on having the husband/father/grandfather around... :(

Thanks for posting.

I remember being about four or five when I discovered my oldest brother's CTA album. 25 or 6 to 4 made such an impression. Such a big sound they had. It was heavy, but in a different way than Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, Sabbath, or even Beethoven. The descending riff with beautiful horns just riding the waves of groove was amazing to my young ears, I still see the yellows and orange hues in the music when I listen to it now.

One of the first songs that I jammed with friends was that song on bass. Totally underrated stuff.

The movie was great.

Back
Top Bottom