Bolt on vs set-necks

Which do you like best?

• Total voters

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
This year I've been going through various guitar purchases and have realized without a doubt what my personal preference is after all these years. Curious as to what is the trend here. What do you like better and why?

Bolt on. Better access and replaceable. You didn't list your preference.
ah right. yes bolt on for me. I just find them bouncier/snappier. I feel like when I play a set neck my fingers land and are sucked down by the gravity of a black hole.

If you'd add, "I'll take either one if I bond with the guitar", I'd vote;)
Same for me. I don't really think about bolt vs set; it's more about feel of the guitar and the neck, does it resonate when it's not plugged in, pickup config / switching, etc.

Same for me. I don't really think about bolt vs set; it's more about feel of the guitar and the neck, does it resonate when it's not plugged in, pickup config / switching, etc.
I guess that's what I'm curious about. I have yet to bond with any guitar that is a set neck. Not once. So is there something inherent about the construction that accounts for that or is it just down to a ford vs chev /fender vs gibson style kind of conversation. Obviously all very subjective and perhaps I'll come across that set neck that I'll just fall in love with. I hope i do.

Bolt on... replaceable plus I prefer oiled finished... most set neck or neck thru are painted... I own a set neck with oil finish but those aren't the norm... oiled necks seem to be more rare on new guitars today no mater the construction.

Can't say I have a preference but do have more bolt-on neck guitars than set neck or neck through. I suppose my preference would vary based upon brand. I prefer the PRS CE-24 bolt on neck I have over the set neck McCarty I had and a couple of Custom 24s I played. I prefer the set neck Reverend models over their bolt-on guitars.

I will admit that I do like the flexibility bolt on necks provide, simply swap out a neck for a completely different feeling and playing guitar. Easier to do fret work with the neck off as well.

Bolt-on is my preference due to ease of repairs. Access-wise I prefer neck-thru over anything. Tonally I've found that the construction makes less difference than the individual pieces of wood and how they interact. The most recent guitar I bought has a set neck which is giving me some of the benefits of both.

Bolt-on is still the overall favorite though.

This...
Chris-Larkin_Bedemir_007.jpg

And this...
88-geertstratback.jpg

And definitely a set neck for a semi...
Chris-Larkin_ASASD-Semi-160802_002.jpg

Eh, no real preference. Way more concerned about neck profile.

Though I did pass up on a 70's MIJ el degas LPC yesterday after realizing it was a bolt-on.

My favorite guitars are bolt-on, only because they have custom made necks to my specs. But, I think I would like them better if they were set necks. The odds of finding a set neck guitar with every spec to my personal perference is I think zero.

Back
Top Bottom