The numbers

Jan Geerts

Experienced
My main rig in the axe will probably be a Dc30 and a plexi through Bogner cabs with Scumback m75 and h75.

What's that in real amps? €4000 + god knows for a 1969 Plexi + €2000 for the cabs. My previous pedalboard consisted of 3 H9 and a bunch of boutique drives, plus board, power, cables... let's say €2200. Let's round that up to €13000. Plus fees for chiropractors for my poor back.

Not counting the many other amps in the axe, I'm not the faithful long-term type.

And with Cygnus and the Elis 8 set I have zero reservations about tone or feel. I can't imagine it getting better. And my back is happy too.

Basically, the Axe is a steal, and then you get free updates on top.

I often hear the story about how expensive the Axe is. Then I tell people, how much money I made by selling off the pedals on my pedal board + my amp and getting an AX8. Since then, I upgraded AX8 to AxeFX III, but I am still way in the green.

I would amend that those who sell off their old rig to fund their new one will be without a backup. And usually regret it.
The handwriting is already on the wall that I’ll be selling my amps eventually because I am paring down my gear. One’s already been sold, another is approaching that point, leaving me with one I’ll keep a while as a backup. Selling the first one and my little pedalboard paid for my FM3 and FX3. Selling the second one will more than pay off my ELIS.8 speakers. Selling my Strats will more than pay off my PRS 509 and fund a Fiore. :) I think it’s better to have less that does more.

Reactions: Ole
When I see people in forums saying about the Axe3 expense they are usually GAS affected types who talk about buying/selling/trading/trying just about every new product that hits the shelves in some eternal search for something that they don't actually seem to ever find or even know what it is they are after, and the expense accrued would probably pay for a fractal rig many times over. I'm not an impulsive spender but I do not like to buy cheap/buy twice and always do my research, although I'm not saying something needs to be expensive to be good, especially in 'current year' (how lucky are we) and of course there is such a thing as diminishing returns. I just want to find what works for me so I can get on playing and enjoying it and being inspired by it and not thinking about FOMO and spending more and more time scouring the web for news, reviews, deals and hassle. Also shipping hassle, where am I gonna be? Shall I get delivery to work or home?
I mostly play on the extreme end and just want a few nice distortion tones that suit my style and an ambient clean tone for lighter passages however I just started playing through the updated presets last night and am up to 062 Nuclear Tone. I did not spend much time going through the old ones as I only jumped on the ride a month or so before Cygnus but BL**DY H*LL ('scuse my French) these new ones are amazing. If I want to jam some old Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Skynyrd, Black Crowes or G. Van Fleet ( joking :laughing: ) there are so many tones that will kill it no tweaks necessary. Instant gratification, straight into the action. I don't know what more I could want, need or have time for!
Numbers be damned...

I sold-off gear to replenish the money spent on my first Axe-FX in June of 2007. Since then, I've sold-off Fractal gear to cover the cost of upgrading to the latest. I've found that the Fractal gear holds its value well when selling second hand. Never a problem to sell for a good price and very quickly.

Archon for clean and distortion, Two Rock for overdrive, DC30 EF86 for edge of breakup, EVH 5153 cab. 7000$.
Thanks Fractal.

Back
Top Bottom