Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.01 "Cygnus"

Improved output transformer / speaker impedance interaction modeling. This yields more accurate low frequency response. Note that the Transformer LF parameter effectively adjusts the transformer’s inductance. Increase this value to simulate a smaller transformer, decrease to simulate a larger transformer.
Does this mean speaker impedance and xformer match and drive in power amp section will behave differently as well apart from the speaker page.

I had some doubts about FW 16, to be honest, did not manage to get the same satisfaction than with 15.01, but 16.01 has made my faith to come back, this morning I spent maybe too much time with Euro Blue, mostly, and it was really inspiring, really touch sensitive, it destroys any plugin I own (and are a few).
Oh yeah I love that Euro Blue so much, it’s a real Beast if you boost it.
I can highly recommend the York Audio Bogner Cab, sounds absolut amazing!

LOVE the new reverb and delay EQ options. Having an adjustable Q for the delay high/low filters is icing on the cake, especially with the Axe-Edit update.

Is the Opera House type modeled on any particular real world space?

Asking for a friend.

portrayal-of-opera-house-and-koala-sydney-australia_u-l-p3wrat0.jpg

Would you say it a high "koala-ty" reverb?

DAD JOKE!!!!!!!!!!,🥸

Last edited:
I had some doubts about FW 16, to be honest, did not manage to get the same satisfaction than with 15.01, but 16.01 has made my faith to come back, this morning I spent maybe too much time with Euro Blue, mostly, and it was really inspiring, really touch sensitive, it destroys any plugin I own (and are a few).
Yeah, the Euro Blue and Euro Blue Modern models really shines in the 16.01 update😊

But, I’m struggling with the The Euro Red Modern. Since 16.00, I find it’s lacking punch and clarity (even with depth set to the “tight” position). The gain has also increased. With the bright switch in the “B2” position, anything over 2 on the gain knob is just insane…

I've never been a recto guy, like ever. But a few days ago, on FW 16.0, I made a Recto 1 Orange preset that I really was having fun with. Went back to it a couple times, still fun. To be clear though, I'm not a metal or djen't guy, and not usually super high gain either.

Upgraded to 16.01, without doing any resets etc, and either my taste has gone back to its normal recto-averse state, or the new firmware does something I don't care for in this context.

Do I understand correctly that 16.01 replaces all existing settings for Power Tube Grid Bias and Negative Feedback with the new default values? That's what the OP in this thread appears to say.

If so, does that mean that to peek at how I had those set in this preset, I need to roll back to 16.0, and reload it from my backup?

If I do that, write down those settings, reload 16.01, and re-enter the values I wrote down, will these same numbers have the same effect as they did in 16.0? I know other things may have changed about the modeling, I'm just talking about reverting those two parameters to their 16.0 state.

EDIT: Reading back through this thread, it looks like @AtomicBlaze suggests exactly this for Power Tube Grid Bias, but recording those values before upgrading. Since I already upgraded, my steps would then be correct, yes?

Last edited:
I'm still having the same issues switching between CCV and Archean (amps in parallel) getting garbled clipping, as mentioned in the beta thread.

Starting on scene 4 CCV (drive 1 off), strum away and then toggle Scene 3 (Archean w/ Drive 1 on).

Then, try going back to Scene 4, but turn drive 1 on. After strumming away, switch to Scene 3, no rough clipping.

Attachments

• Modern copy.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Oh yeah I love that Euro Blue so much, it’s a real Beast if you boost it.
I can highly recommend the York Audio Bogner Cab, sounds absolut amazing!

Can confirm. Been using the Uberschall (Euro Uber) as my main high gain amp for about a year now.
Bought the YA Bogner pack. Sounds incredible.

Discovered I really like the Euro Blue (not modern) for slightly less gain tones... Am using the Shiver Clean for my clean tones..... I guess I'm a Bogner guy now. 10/10 would recommend.

The Speaker Impedance Curve of the amp models below is different per model. By design?

1987X: one of the models has a different curve

CAE: idem

Euro Red: idem (and why not 4x12 Euro for all Euro Blue/Red/Bogner models)

Fox ODS / Deep: idem

Legend I / II: idem

Mr Z MZ-8 / MZ-35: idem

Yeah, the Euro Blue and Euro Blue Modern models really shines in the 16.01 update😊

But, I’m struggling with the The Euro Red Modern. Since 16.00, I find it’s lacking punch and clarity (even with depth set to the “tight” position). The gain has also increased. With the bright switch in the “B2” position, anything over 2 on the gain knob is just insane…
I don’t know how close the Ecstacy 3534 is to the amp that Cliff modeled, but the gain on the red channel of my 3534 is crazy. At anything above 9 o’clock it’s already super saturated and compressed. It’s great for singing, sustained leads, but that’s about it.

I've never been a recto guy, like ever. But a few days ago, on FW 16.0, I made a Recto 1 Orange preset that I really was having fun with. Went back to it a couple times, still fun. To be clear though, I'm not a metal or djen't guy, and not usually super high gain either.

Upgraded to 16.01, without doing any resets etc, and either my taste has gone back to its normal recto-averse state, or the new firmware does something I don't care for in this context.

Do I understand correctly that 16.01 replaces all existing settings for Power Tube Grid Bias and Negative Feedback with the new default values? That's what the OP in this thread appears to say.

If so, does that mean that to peek at how I had those set in this preset, I need to roll back to 16.0, and reload it from my backup?

If I do that, write down those settings, reload 16.01, and re-enter the values I wrote down, will these same numbers have the same effect as they did in 16.0? I know other things may have changed about the modeling, I'm just talking about reverting those two parameters to their 16.0 state.

EDIT: Reading back through this thread, it looks like @AtomicBlaze suggests exactly this for Power Tube Grid Bias, but recording those values before upgrading. Since I already upgraded, my steps would then be correct, yes?

Yes, I actually recorded both of those values before upgrading since I suspected that those were the cause of me not liking the new firmware beta 16.01. After reverting back the Grid Bias and Negative Feedback settings to the values in release version 16.0 my patches sounded good again and possibly even better than before. I suspect that the Grid Bias and Negative Feedback changes are going to make a lot of people unhappy with the new firmware.

I have always preferred the Red over the Red Modern. For years. Also on the real amp.

Are these updates sonically far off far 16? Just started tracking a project with 16 and wondering if I should hold off on this version or if it won't make a huge difference.

This is probably a dumb question, but I assume no changes to the Tube Pre amp model as a result of Cygnus since it's generic and not based on a specific model?

Back
Top Bottom