Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.01 Beta 1 Public Beta

Le plus drôle c'est qu'au lycée j'étais le dernier de ma classe en anglais. Mon anglais s'est énormément amélioré par la suite grâce à la guitare : dans les années 1990, j'achetais régulièrement des magazines de guitare en anglais, puis quand internet s'est démocratisé, j'ai passé énormément de temps sur les forums de musiciens, entre autres. Je ne peux toujours pas voir un film en anglais sans sous-titres car j'ai du mal avec la prononciation, mais comparé à 35 ans de cela mes progrès sont très conséquents, ça n'a plus rien à voir. Au point où j'ai pu aller en vacances dans des pays anglophones sans problème. Je me suis aperçu de mes progrès le jour où j'ai pu lire "Anges et démons" de Dan Brown en VO !

Funny thing, in high school I was the worst student of my class in English. My English vastly improved afterwards thanks to guitar : first by buying guitar magazines in the nineties, then avidly reading forums when internet became a thing, etc etc. I still can't watch an English movie without subtitles (I only catch 50 % of the words) but compared to 35+ years ago it improved a lot. I was able to go to English speaking countries without issues (although I often need to tell people "can you say that again, slowly?", lol)

[/thread derail]
I would not guess that from hanging out with you!

For guys comparing Cygnus to their real amps and can’t quite get the feel right, here’s something you might want to try.

I just compared a couple amps with Cygnus (Soldano and 5150 block) and to me, the tone of Cygnus is completely there. The one thing I’m having to do to get the FEEL to match the real amps is raising the Input Trim to get the model to have a similar “give” and “squish” with palm mutes the way the real amps do. It’s more about feel than gain. A quick way to hear what it does is raising input trim from 1.00 to 1.50. You’ll need to reduce Input Drive a bit to keep the distortion level the same, but you’ll notice a little more “compression” in the chunky stuff. You’ll have to play with different values of input trim to match your amp, but the results are pretty impressive.

I think I set the 5150 somewhere around 1.25-1.4, and the Soldano around 1.8, but had to drop input drive down quite a bit to get the gain to match my head. I’ll tweak a little more, but I’ve got them sounding and feeling REALLY close after trying this.

For guys comparing Cygnus to their real amps and can’t quite get the feel right, here’s something you might want to try.

I just compared a couple amps with Cygnus (Soldano and 5150 block) and to me, the tone of Cygnus is completely there. The one thing I’m having to do to get the FEEL to match the real amps is raising the Input Trim to get the model to have a similar “give” and “squish” with palm mutes the way the real amps do. It’s more about feel than gain. A quick way to hear what it does is raising input trim from 1.00 to 1.50. You’ll need to reduce Input Drive a bit to keep the distortion level the same, but you’ll notice a little more “compression” in the chunky stuff. You’ll have to play with different values of input trim to match your amp, but the results are pretty impressive.

I think I set the 5150 somewhere around 1.25-1.4, and the Soldano around 1.8, but had to drop input drive down quite a bit to get the gain to match my head. I’ll tweak a little more, but I’ve got them sounding and feeling REALLY close after trying this.
Comparison clip? :)

It seems there is a bug with global tied peq blocks. They come up empty. Loading a system backup and rebooting fills they values in again, but by factor 1.666 too high.

Comparison clip? :)
I’ve already shut down for the day, but might be able to post one tomorrow. In the meantime, try this:
6160 Block. All EQ knobs at 6, presence at zero-1.5 and depth at 6-7. Master Volume around 1.5, and gain where you like it (I normally have mine between 3.5-4).

Play some low chunky palm mutes with input trim at 1.00, and then take it up to 1.3-1.4 and take the gain down like .2 or wherever the gain level sounds the same before you raised input trim.

Thanks, Cliff!

Just a little question: I see that the drive taper of the Jr. Blues model was fixed, which leaves me wondering whether or not the Orange Rockerverb 50 input drive taper is correct?

Does somebody else think that the Rockerverb input drive behaves a bit strangely from 0 up until 7 or so?

Thanks, Cliff!

Just a little question: I see that the drive taper of the Jr. Blues model was fixed, which leaves me wondering whether or not the Orange Rockerverb 50 input drive taper is correct?

Does somebody else think that the Rockerverb input drive behaves a bit strangely from 0 up until 7 or so?
It's correct. It's a ganged pot so it behaves strangely.

I dunno...I kinda like the hum. Let's ya know something "cool" is about to happen. Like the hiss of a lit fuse on a stick of dynamite. ;)
Funny. The first time I plugged into a Fractal modeller (AxeFX II) with the volume already up and plugged into a 4x12 set loud, the way the end of the guitar lead reacted to my hand touching the jack plug and pushing it into the guitar socket was a full on "HOLY MOLY!!" moment. Tech21 and Line 6 products had never quite done the thing of making me feel I was plugging into one of my Marshall 1/2 stacks. And that was pre-Ares!

Liam

Our of interest what are you using with it?
Near field monitors or a CLR or an amp and cab, etc?

I’ve already shut down for the day, but might be able to post one tomorrow. In the meantime, try this:
6160 Block. All EQ knobs at 6, presence at zero-1.5 and depth at 6-7. Master Volume around 1.5, and gain where you like it (I normally have mine between 3.5-4).

Play some low chunky palm mutes with input trim at 1.00, and then take it up to 1.3-1.4 and take the gain down like .2 or wherever the gain level sounds the same before you raised input trim.

This is what that sounds like, albeit boosted with an 808, double tracked and in a mix. The only post-processing is in the mixbus which is a multi-comp sucking out some lower mids of everything.

Last edited:
I had an interesting issue on switching scenes and get not a pop, but a harsh clipping. I really should upload my preset and a recording, but I’m having internet issues (only have mobile until next week).

I have my amps set up in parallel (muted when not in use). when I switch from a CCV 2A on amp 2 to Archean Bright on Amp 1 with a scene switch, a horrible clipping ensues when mid chord. No other amp combination does this and only CCV to Archean Bright, not other way around.

Furthermore, if I have a drive turned on in front of the CCV (I think it is an SD-1) and switch to Archean, no harsh clipping..... strange.

Don’t get me started on my internet situation, this would be so much easier to explain if I could just upload the preset
Sorry for delay, realized I hadn't reset amp block (did just in case) and had some user cabs that needed to get swapped out for sharing.

Start on CCV Scene 4 and then switch to Scene 3 and get the roughness.

Repeat by going back to Scene 4, switch on Drive 1, then switch back Scene 3, no roughness.

Attachments

• Modern copy.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Hello!

I want to produce the guitar sound on the right.
Could you help me?
This sound is the tip of my heart.
A working preset that says so.

Keith Richard's Voodoo Lounge: love is strong

Thanks for all the help!

You might want to post this in the preset exchange thread. It may get lost here.
Hello!

I want to produce the guitar sound on the right.
Could you help me?
This sound is the tip of my heart.
A working preset that says so.

Keith Richard's Voodoo Lounge: love is strong

Thanks for all the help!

You might want to move to the preset exchange area. It may get lost here.

You might want to post this in the preset exchange thread. It may get lost here.

You might want to move to the preset exchange area. It may get lost here.
Thanks for the suggestion!
But I don't know how to find it?
Can I ask for a link where I can find an answer to my question?
Thanks again for the help and good advice!

There seems to be something wrong with the Dizzy V4 silver. CH 2 has too much gain and is too tight, on the other hand CH 3 is too flubby and not enough gain.
it has been this way since fw 16.00.
It’s not a new thing in fw 16.01.
I mentioned this a few times, but without any luck getting an answer.
for now, I am using dizzy silver v4 ch. 2 and raise the depth to 50% to kinda simulate vh4 ch3 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom