Just how loud are open back headphones anyway?

skolacki

Fractal Fanatic
Hey all, I'm looking into headphones to use with my FM3. I have read through a lot of threads on the net and this forum regarding headphones for monitoring amp modelers. Having a tough time deciding. I usually get in my groove late at night when the house is sleeping since I work nights. And my FRFR time is limited for dialing in presets, so I need headphones that will translate to FRFR with only minor eq tweaks.

So my question is this...how loud are open backs compared to the the strings on a solid body electric?

I don't crank headphones up very loud, just to a satisfying level. Unlike in my youth when I listened to everything full blast. It seems that open backs are more highly regarded as far as a quality flat sound and comfort. I have never used open backs. I have looked at this on the net too, but without actually hearing for myself, it's tough to figure out how loud they actually are. I can get away with string noise level no problem at night. Otherwise I will have to go closed back.

I’ve been using the Audio Technica ATH-M50X with all the modelers I’ve had (Helix, Kemper and now Fractal). I never felt the need to search for something different.

That one is a maybe. The price is right. I have the M30 but it sucks for the FM3. Anyway, loudness of open backs compared to the acoustic volume of solid body strings?

I have the Senn HD600s: I'm pretty cafeful not to blast my headphones, too. In my experience the string noise from the guitar is louder than the open-back headphones, I'd even say by a significant margin.

But, this seems tough for you to know in advance. I'd try open back headphones with a good return policy in case you discover otherwise.

Well then. Most likely will try out some open backs. Looking at the AKG702s and some others. Jury’s still out though and may end up with closed back. Maybe the ATH M50s. Have seen some negative reviews on those but many seem to be content with them. As long as I can get my presets close I’ll be happy. I know the tones I like but not really an audiophile. Thanks guys.

Hi @skolacki
If you have a wife you want to keep, get the closed back! There’s nothin enjoyable about trying to sleep while someone in the room next door is listening to open backed headphone.
Thanks
Pauly

QUOTE="skolacki, post: 2088598, member: 79117"]
Hey all, I'm looking into headphones to use with my FM3. I have read through a lot of threads on the net and this forum regarding headphones for monitoring amp modelers. Having a tough time deciding. I usually get in my groove late at night when the house is sleeping since I work nights. And my FRFR time is limited for dialing in presets, so I need headphones that will translate to FRFR with only minor eq tweaks.

So my question is this...how loud are open backs compared to the the strings on a solid body electric?

I don't crank headphones up very loud, just to a satisfying level. Unlike in my youth when I listened to everything full blast. It seems that open backs are more highly regarded as far as a quality flat sound and comfort. I have never used open backs. I have looked at this on the net too, but without actually hearing for myself, it's tough to figure out how loud they actually are. I can get away with string noise level no problem at night. Otherwise I will have to go closed back.
[/QUOTE]

Hi @skolacki
If you have a wife you want to keep, get the closed back! There’s nothin enjoyable about trying to sleep while someone in the room next door is listening to open backed headphone.
Thanks
Pauly

QUOTE="skolacki, post: 2088598, member: 79117"]

[/QUOTE]

Probably the answer I needed to see. Wife’s already annoyed at times just from string noise. I have a Boss Waza Air I use. Love that thing. I tried using it through the FM3 and it does work and it sounds good. But most likely not good for dialing in presets. Plus the shape of the threaded jacks on the FM3 are tapered and the switch on the wireless dongle cuts out. I would file it flat but it’s under warranty.

I bought a pair of open back Gradios about 6 years ago. Much more comfortable than closed backs. If you crank it, the sound is about twice that of an unamplified strat. If you play at a normal volume, it's about the same as the strat.

Eq'ing your FRFR with headphones is another matter. I think you have to do that at gig volume. What you set at lower volume will get wetter, bassier and treblier as you turn up.

I bought a pair of open back Gradios about 6 years ago. Much more comfortable than closed backs. If you crank it, the sound is about twice that of an unamplified strat. If you play at a normal volume, it's about the same as the strat.

Eq'ing your FRFR with headphones is another matter. I think you have to do that at gig volume. What you set at lower volume will get wetter, bassier and treblier as you turn up.

Pauley's post steered me to the closed backs. I plan on buying the ATH-M50X for now because they're inexpensive, and sounds like it will work for me. And get some open backs later if I think I need them. For now I need the middle of the night phones. Think the wife would agree.

Hi again,
Also, have a look at shure se846 in ears., I use them sometimes and it’s easy to forget I’m wearing them (the sound is so real). Asides from that I have a bunch of closed senheisser headphone which also work pretty well.
Thanks
Pauly

Probably the answer I needed to see. Wife’s already annoyed at times just from string noise. I have a Boss Waza Air I use. Love that thing. I tried using it through the FM3 and it does work and it sounds good. But most likely not good for dialing in presets. Plus the shape of the threaded jacks on the FM3 are tapered and the switch on the wireless dongle cuts out. I would file it flat but it’s under warranty.
[/QUOTE]

Probably the answer I needed to see. Wife’s already annoyed at times just from string noise.

Then open back vs closed back likely won't make much difference. If you are going to play late in the evening or at night then it's easy for any uncommon sound to be heard much more clearly than in the daytime when there's a lot of ambient noise and you are not trying to fall asleep. Just the noise of an electric guitar's acoustic strings will be enough to bother.

If you have multiple rooms, go to whatever place is furthest from your bedroom and play there with doors closed to try to minimize any sound coming through.

Then open back vs closed back likely won't make much difference. If you are going to play late in the evening or at night then it's easy for any uncommon sound to be heard much more clearly than in the daytime when there's a lot of ambient noise and you are not trying to fall asleep. Just the noise of an electric guitar's acoustic strings will be enough to bother.

If you have multiple rooms, go to whatever place is furthest from your bedroom and play there with doors closed to try to minimize any sound coming through.

I can move to a quiet spot but decided to get the close backs.
I have HD650's and ATH-M50X, and No comparison with my FM3. Seinheisers all the way and the strings are way louder than the Openbacks

Outside volume must depend on the model of headphone then. The HD650’s are out of my budget. Looking at the HD58X from Drop. Those are $170. Researching on recommended phones for modelers didn’t turn up much on the 580. If the strings are louder than the open backs on a particular headphone then I would prefer open backs. No way of knowing how loud that one is or if it’s close to the HD600 and the 650. I can’t do this yet anyhow. Need to unload some stuff I don’t want to keep on Reverb or local CL.

I can move to a quiet spot but decided to get the close backs.

Outside volume must depend on the model of headphone then. The HD650’s are out of my budget. Looking at the HD58X from Drop. Those are $170. Researching on recommended phones for modelers didn’t turn up much on the 580. If the strings are louder than the open backs on a particular headphone then I would prefer open backs. No way of knowing how loud that one is or if it’s close to the HD600 and the 650. I can’t do this yet anyhow. Need to unload some stuff I don’t want to keep on Reverb or local CL.
170's good for those Headphones, you should be happy with those, what cha gonna unload, always in the market:D?

I have the HD600 which are open back. If I put the headphones on my leg the acoustic sound of my strings drowns out the headphones.

Back
Top Bottom