Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Did the power amp tubes change on the «Euro» models? I remember them being 6L6 in earlier firmware, but now they are EL34.

It's only possible to level them for one particular output level. As soon as you change guitars to one with higher (or lower) output pickups, the clean stuff will be louder (or quieter) than the distorted stuff.

Expecting presets made by others to work out of the gate with no adjustments to suit your own guitar(s) is a recipe for disappointment....
What they're talking about is leveling the presets to the other presets, not leveling them for a specific guitar.

What they're talking about is leveling the presets to the other presets, not leveling them for a specific guitar.
Both are really different aspects of the same task, really. For preset A and preset B to be at the same or similar levels, you're necessarily leveling them to a standard set by one guitar (or two verrrrrrry similar guitars)....

Yes but the levels are also dependent on the guitar used. The less distortion the more the final volume of a preset will depend on the guitar.
It would be great to get info on which guitars were used to make the presets, if that's at all possible.

I'll often try a preset and move on pretty quickly, but maybe I just have the wrong style of guitar in my hands.

I expect the presets are what you and the team think are exceptional examples worth sharing, and I'd love to get as close as possible to hearing what you hear.

Understood, but I assume you see my point too.

I did the update, want to reset the amps so I can hear the Cygnus changes. A tool is provided and documented as being for that purpose. Having it change bypass mode in some cases is just an added pain and source of confusion.

Really the only way to make everything clear, and at the same time, make everybody happy, is to provide explicit options for what to keep and reset.

If you require a partial reset, specifying which parameters you want to keep, you can use FracTool. It works like a charm. I use it to maintain the EQ settings at the advanced parameters (e.g.: Mesa 5-Band equalizer), and also the bypass, because I also use dual amps in parallel

Last edited:
Finally took this for a serious spin.

I love it. Since I spent the last 4 hours going through my presets, resetting amp blocks, mild tweaks...I'm past happy. I have not yet picked up the Strat to do cleans...all HB work this time.

One glitch: The tuner did not work when activated on the FC12. It didn't respond on either the FC, or the front of the AX3. I have not worked with it yet to troubleshoot. Maybe a known fix.

Understood, but I assume you see my point too.

Certainly.

Really the only way to make everything clear, and at the same time, make everybody happy, is to provide explicit options for what to keep and reset.

Here we disagree. As the past conversations have shown, there's no single way to tackle this. Making everything optional / configurable will confuse the hell out of users with insufficient knowledge. And if they do have the knowledge, well, why make everything configurable in the first place ...

IMO of course, a perfect Amp Reset tool should leave both ideal and authentic pages alone, given those are where the "physical" controls on an amp should be. Also the Output EQ (especially for Mark series amps).

Now, I think there are constant values like the fat/cut/bright/boost switches, boost type, speaker impedance curve, tube type, etc... those algorithms seems to be updated internally and changes could be reflected without the need to reset them to the default option. OTOH the variables like Sag, Negative Feedback, Bias, etc... Have values that change to new defaults every now and then there's an eCliffany, so that's the type of data "I" am most interested to reset while leaving my "core" settings as is.

Last edited:
IMO of course, a perfect Amp Reset tool should leave both ideal and authentic pages alone, given those are where the "physical" controls on an amp should be. Also the Output EQ (especially for Mark series amps).

Now, I think there are constant values like the fat/cut/bright/boost switches, boost type, speaker impedance curve, tube type, etc... those algorithms seems to be updated internally and changes could be reflected without the need to reset them to the default option. OTOH the variables like Sag, Negative Feedback, Bias, etc... Have values that change to new defaults every now and then there's an eCliffany, so that's the type of data "I" am most interested to reset while leaving my "core" settings as is.
You can choose which parameters you wanna keep in FracTool, just saying ;)

The simplest method is to pick an IR you really like that is clear of comby peaky stuff, maybe it's from a pack or factory library and stick with it. I wish I'd told myself that thousands of dollars ago heh :D
Do you have any experience with the GGD zilla cabs? I used to use them a lot but since I saw a post from you talking about York I've switched to those. I'm a big fan of the Bogner cab pack. To my ears the York stuff is brighter and more clear than any other type of IR I've used. The GGD zilla isn't very clear to me, but it could be my old ears

It would be great to get info on which guitars were used to make the presets, if that's at all possible.

I'll often try a preset and move on pretty quickly, but maybe I just have the wrong style of guitar in my hands.

I expect the presets are what you and the team think are exceptional examples worth sharing, and I'd love to get as close as possible to hearing what you hear.
I don't think they're all sounds deemed to be exceptional to a level where they have to be given to more people. I the primary goal with presets is just to show off some of the range and variety of sounds and approaches available in a product, to help give ideas for people making their own. Sounding good and actually being usable for the end user (instead of all being over the top) is a nice extra level fractal strives for as well. And some people end up largely using the presets instead of making patches (based on the number of people saying "I can't find the new amp in the preset list").

But I don't think it's fair to say they're a collection of ~300 holy grail sounds crafted to a level you could never make yourself. And by the nature of peoples guitars being different, and they playing style being different, even if it was a holy grail tone for the people who made it might not ever work quite the same for a user.

I have a question concerning the speaker impedance knob in the power amp section of the amp block. Is there a list somewhere of the default impedance of the modelled amps?
Reading the owners manual it says "For example, to simulate connecting a 16-ohm speaker to an 8-ohm output set Speaker Impedance to 2.0." This makes sense to me when it comes to the Bogner pack from @York Audio It is a 16 ohm cabinet according to Justin so when I select the Euro impedance curve to match this cabinet I have to turn the speaker impedance knob up to 2 to get the same volume output. When I leave it at stock setting of 1 I get a more mid scooped sound with a drop in volume. I'm assuming the drop in volume level is from having a 16 ohm load being fed from an 8 ohm source. I'm not sure but I'm guessing the mid scoop sound is a result of that as well. I'm an electrician and I teach AC theory so I have a pretty good understanding of Impedance, resistance, Inductive reactance, capacitive reactance, etc etc. Any light being shed would be appreciated.
@FractalAudio

All that matters is that you like how your patches sound.

If you dial in your patches, then update to a firmware that changes parameters, and you don't like your tones, then you should consider resetting in order to simplify the process of hunting down your tones again.

(I used this analogy elsewhere) :

Imagine you dial in a tone on a firmware in which bass is non-existent at 5. Then, on the next firmware, the bass at 5 is actually about 50% of what's available. Your tone would be drastically different. Now imagine instead of bass its some random deep parameter that you changed months ago and don't even remember changing. It's easier to start fresh than trying to track that down.
OIC. I’m so new to the AxeFX 3 that I’ve really only made a handful of patches, so no big deal. It came at the same time as my new PC was ready, and there were some issues there to deal with so I’ve had less time to mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom