FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

I’ve got a gig tomorrow night and I’ll be using my FM3/FC6 with 3.03 beta 1. I haven’t experienced any of the issues some have reported, but I have only been using 1 preset with 6 scenes for my gigs, so maybe that has something to do with things running “smoothly.” (As I jinx myself :rolleyes:)

Has anyone else been gigging 3.03 beta 1 without issue? (I’m using out1 to FOH and out2 to my Headrush FRFR112)
That was my concern; getting in over my head when I have gig=s the next two weekends. But with all the positive results I've seen here, pushed me over the edge and I dove in. So far, it's been flawless, thankfully. I'll be testing "flawless" Saturday and Sunday. LOL

Why? Because I am new to Fractal and this device. I don't know what I don't know. You make it sound like it's obvious that I should just know this and I guess everything.
Fractal has a manual for the FM3, start there, and begin to learn what you don’t know.

Inside the manual are links to the secondary manuals that cover blocks, using the foot controllers, etc., so read those too.

The wiki, and the technical notes at the top of these forums, are excellent sources of additional details useful to us such as the physics of sound, recording and amplification, electronics and the design of the real amps and devices inside the blocks... it’s really useful information to know because, in general, modelers are not simple standalone devices, and Fractal’s modelers expose more of the inner workings than any other of their competitors. To use one efficiently and effectively we have to know a lot of different things.

Reread them all several times. The manuals are really well written and the others are there to fill in the gaps. I periodically sit down with a cup of tea and pick one and look for something I haven’t learned, simply because there is a lot to know.

The forum is the last place to come after you have exhausted yourself researching in the above mentioned sources of information. Tell us in detail what you things you tried, and provide a block or preset to demonstrate what you did and so we’re all working from the same starting point as you are and to reduce any guessing or suggestions to try previously attempted solutions.

Output 2 volume seems to be non-working with 3.03 beta 1 for me. It worked before but now does absulutely nothing. With output 2 not in the grid and using the "copy output 1 to output 2" feature I get audio out from it but have no volume control.

If I swap OUT1 for OUT2 in the grid, OUT2 has much much lower volume even though I haven't set a pad for it. The output just never goes very high but the volume control has some effect. OUT1 in grid and copy to OUT2 is louder.

Also if I try to swap OUT1 for OUT2, the system says there is not enough CPU to add the block. If I remove OUT1 first and add OUT2 then it works.

I tried resetting settings but that did nothing. I also managed to get the left footswitch LCD to not show anything after adjusting the brightness of footswitching. Restarting fixed this.

Last edited:
The backup is recommended since something may go wrong during the update
Regular backups are good, not just after an update. At the end of the day I back up after I finish editing presets because something might go wrong with my thinking and I’ll accidentally mangle something. I compress the files for a particular backup because the files are very compressible and periodically I’ll clear out older archives to remove clutter, keeping the ones that are significant, such as those done immediately before and after a firmware upgrade. Make sure that directory is backed up by your system backup in case the drive fails —it’s just smart computer maintenance really.

It’s important to figure out whatever strategy works for our own organizational style, and stick with it. Having the backup when you need it is peace of mind.

When? I thought that this was an ‘if’ scenario.
Technically I'd still call it an 'if', but a while back someone had posted that Fractal on TGP said that they'd managed to port the pitch detection algorithm (which they said was the hard part), so that was encouraging news.

Granted, I didn't see anything additional after that. So who knows.

I'd definitely take it if they manage it.

Technically I'd still call it an 'if', but a while back someone had posted that Fractal on TGP said that they'd managed to port the pitch detection algorithm (which they said was the hard part), so that was encouraging news.

Granted, I didn't see anything additional after that. So who knows.

I'd definitely take it if they manage it.
I definitely think it’s a possibility, and I’d be over the moon if it happened, but I’d love to see who this someone on TGP is.

To my knowledge, the updated drives were a surprise too, was it not?

I definitely think it’s a possibility, and I’d be over the moon if it happened, but I’d love to see who this someone on TGP is.

It was posted at TGP from the Fractal Audio account there, so fairly sure that was Cliff.

Oh i too remember the pitch detection port and pretty sure my memory serves me well enough to know for sure A fractal employee said it’s Ported and being worked in. But there’s still 2 possibilities, one that solidifies this current 3.03 then a later 3.04 or a 3.03 with a new pitch algorithm as well. I believe it’s possible since they did something to stabilize GUI when using pitch detection in the beta I think

Great news! That’s one of my only wishes for the FM3 right now, as I use it mostly as a glorified pedal board with amps.

I wouldn’t mind being able to tone match without the III and some more routing options, specifically with USB audio.

Back
Top Bottom