Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Leon Todd's 45 minute video about creating presets from scratch with Cygnus he made 2 or 3 days ago really cleared some things up. He sets up a Fender, Mesa, and I think a Matchless.

It was the steps to the tweaks that really help and the small explanations why. Alot of these tweaks equate well to other amps, some not so much, but it gets you thinking in the right direction. I've watched it, iunno 4 or 5 times, and it's done me good. First time I matched his settings, second time because I forgot to hit the save button 🤣. The 3rd and 4th I exaggerated/lessened tweaks to my liking and it really started to kick in where the freq's that I wanted were and how not to lose the punch while clearing some areas that I perceived as mud or woof.

Word of caution on the new Amp reset tool:

It leaves all your settings in the Authentic/Ideal page but if you (for example) use a MESA Mark series amp and its graphic EQ, IT WILL reset the sliders back to zero. Same about the impedance curve. To me, those two values along with maybe the Input EQ should be left untouched too IMO.

So... Ill second AJ Vargas comments and also add:

I tried an Amp Reset on the new AXE-EDITIII using the Recto2 Orange modern and the following changes occurred:

Recto2 Orange modern
Amp Page:
Ideal:
High Treble - resets to 0.00 dB
Depth - resets to 0.00 dB
PreAmp:
Boost level Defaults to 12.00 dB
Pwr Supply:
Supply Sag - Defaults to 2.70
Speaker Drive:
Speaker Compression - Defaults to 1.00
Output EQ:
All bands default to Zero

So the Ideal page, PreAmp, PwrSupply, Speaker Drive and Output EQ pages ARE affected. This Is inline with the documented changes that state the Authentic page is maintained only, but does not detail the changes to the other pages.
This is not a conclusive test and may have different results with different Amps?
It would be nice to have a document that tells you all parameters that ARE effected.. for the record

Last edited:
I am happy that I have redo all my presets at each beta's, cause with this release 95% of the job was done . I have 100 presets perfectly cygnutized now .
I have played the whole sepultura's arise album with my metal presets and every amps soung GREAT
This is a very good update seriously . As you maybe know , I am picky sometimes but I want to share you some love @FractalAudio
please dont release an update soon, let us breathe now hahahahaha

I am happy that I have redo all my presets at each beta's, cause with this release 95% of the job was done . I have 100 presets perfectly cygnutized now .
I have played the whole sepultura's arise album with my metal presets and every amps soung GREAT
This is a very good update seriously . As you maybe know , I am picky sometimes but I want to share you some love @FractalAudio
please dont release an update soon, let us breathe now hahahahaha
Without any evidence, I'm 100% positive anything you dialed in sounds better than the guitars on the Arise album and I would be my truck on it.

Same here, I cannot believe how good this and the other Savage 1 sounds now. I dumped my old preset and started from scratch. A few minutes later is was perfect.
maybe too much highs in the savage, the fryette deliverance is pretty strange too . the powerball is really much better now . without any doubt . it was down on the list . now that is the bogner fish that is down on the list :)

@johnnypig you dont like this album ? when I play these type of things that's a sort of "reference" to me as these are part of my 100 favorite records . I like to play the thrash/death classic like that
No, I love that album and it was the first real metal album I ever bought in 1991 in 7th grade junior high. That doesn't mean the guitars sound good by any standard :D

So the Ideal page, PreAmp, PwrSupply, Speaker Drive and Output EQ pages ARE affected.
Resetting completely this advanced parameters is the intended purpose of the new feature. It's just for me that the Input EQ, Output EQ and the Impedance Curve you selected (and not the other parameters in the page) should be left as is. Just the Mark Series EQ alone is a must if you want THE Mesa Mark sound (Metallica, Petrucci, etc..) so just like the Ideal page's B/M/T controls it's better to fine tune your saved settings instead of starting from scratch.

First High-Gain Test (complete Amp Reset): Engl Savage still my fave and sounds great. As 2nd Amp in my stereo setup I had the HBE 2018 C45, but
somehow I don't like it anymore. It's kinda "flubby" for me now and reminds me on the last version that I did not like in the early stages of Ares.
I have seen, that some other guys seem to have a similar problem, will take the time to read here for workarounds......

As there are no gigs to play and my setup only consists of a preset with 3 scenes, I will just take to time for rebuilding my preset. Or I will just take the time and watch Leon Todd's video. ;-)

Anyway, Thank you, dear Fractal team, for consistently working on improvements and keeping things interesting.

Dear Fas Team, thanks for your nice Cygnus present.
Following all the beta's and updating from the beginning
Tele, Lp or any other axe i use, it just sounds warm, full, useable, unstoppable joy and fun
Happy man here, thank you

Back
Top Bottom