Amp Suggestion: Great Drive Tone For Tele

Cam Heiliger

Inspired
Greetings,

I am a long-time AX8 user who finally upgraded to FM3. I play rhythm guitar in a cover band that does mostly 90s rock and alternative tunes: Better Than Ezra, Tonic, STP, Gin Blossoms, etc. I have good clean and crunch tones from the Matchless DC-30 and Deluxe Reverb Vibrato models (the edge-of-breakup tones in the FM3 are awesome - these models sound killer pushed), but I am struggling to find a go-to amp for my rhythm drive tones. I am on the 3.03 Beta so I have the updated drive blocks, but I'm just not super familiar with them and I generally much preferred the amp distortion in the AX8, but I'm open to the drives if someone has a good suggestion. In the past I have used the Corncob model which I like, but I want something that a little smoother and less aggressive in the high end with my tele that still has a strong midrange punch. I'm not looking to mimic any specific tone, rather I need a good "do-it-all" sound that can cover the genre. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Try the graphic EQ in a Drive block to give your Tele's pickups a little more muscle for rhythm and leads.
Input EQ in the Amp block is also a great tool to help you define your voice.
Al of the above named amps -- and many many more-- can work great for you.

The two amps you name have been in my main presets for the last 5 years at least. I don’t play in a 90s cover band but I do love to jam out to Gin Blossoms type stuff, and when I write new music it sometimes has a 90s flavor to it.

I don’t usually feel the need to go heavier than a drive block goosing a DC30. But, give the DC30 EF86 model a try - it wasn’t available on the AX8 and it’s got more drive on tap than the 12AX7 channel.

Recently I’ve been swapping the Deluxe Reverb Vibrato with Keith Urban’s 5F8 Tweed. Tonally in the same ballpark, but less sparkle, and it sounds warmer and smoother when driven using a Tele bridge.

For drive blocks, don’t overlook the venerable TS808 with Drive at 0. Also take a look at the Boost in the Amp block, which has some drive models in it. I love goosing any of the aforementioned amps by 6 dB with the Boost, and then stacking a Drive block into that.

I've been on the Div/13 FT37 with @York Audio 2x12 Zilla mix this week with a Tele, Strat and LP. I dig it.
For my Tele and tastes so far I've found the Micro Boost and Hoodoo work well to goose a EOB amp tone a bit but not be so harsh. Ts808 and Ts9 are in similar ballpark or at least can be. Also a comp block with light compression and the level boosted is something to try. Of course the Input Boost, Fat switch and Saturation switch in the amp are available for some tonal boost as well.

Last edited:
Recently I’ve been swapping the Deluxe Reverb Vibrato with Keith Urban’s 5F8 Tweed. Tonally in the same ballpark, but less sparkle, and it sounds warmer and smoother when driven using a Tele bridge.
I stay way from blackface-style amps with the Tele. They sound too scooped, and the Tele pickups are just so bright. The tweed and AC-style models have the mids a Tele needs.

I stay way from blackface-style amps with the Tele. They sound too scooped, and the Tele pickups are just so bright. The tweed and AC-style models have the mids a Tele needs.
Yeah typically the Deluxe Reverb Vibrato is used when I feel like switching over to my LP Special, unless I’m doing some classic country western. But man oh man, the Tweeds and Tele are a match made in heaven.

My fix for the blackface-style scoop is hitting it with the right drive block, especially the tubescreamer variants and the BB Pre.

You have the clean to pushed sound covered, so I would look at the mid to higher gain amps.

I really like the Plexi 50W Jump amp for anywhere from clean to mid gain. More treble drive for bite or more normal drive for fullness. It sounds great too if you reduce the input trim for cleans or with a boost out front.

For a warmer tone, check out the Dirty Shirley amp. That's another mid gain amp. You may want to raise the presence and/or treble to taste as it can be dark at stock settings.

You may even find that, especially with the Plexi, you may just be content working the volume control on the guitar to go from clean to crunch.

It amazes me that this many decades into playing guitar, I can still discover guitarists from the classic years that I’ve never heard of. Thanks for the heads up, I’m going to get lost in a Roy Buchanan YouTube deep dive now.

Sorry for the thread tangent. Back to the 90s drive tones, yeah!

oh yeah he’s a great player. Danny Gatton is the modern day Roy, but without the screechy Tele tones. The Stones tried to get Roy in their band

Really appreciate all of the feedback here. I forgot how responsive and helpful many on these forums can be. I am definitely on board with the EF86 AC20 and DC30 models - they sound awesome pushed, but I already have that pushed to low gain territory pretty well covered with the drive block in front of my cleaner amps. I run them on the edge as is, so I need a bit more saturation. I think the Jumped 50w Plexi, Dirty Shirley, and Hot Kitty will be next on my list to try for the mid to higher gain stuff.

I helped my buddy set up a patch this morning with the Boogie IIC++ for his rig on my old AX8 and was pretty impressed with the tones I got on his Jazzmaster with an 808 in front, so I'm going to check that out as well.

Phillip, I will definitely check out the Urban Twin for clean sound as well. I tend to favor the smaller 6v6 Fender blackface amps as they break up more like the AC-style amps and have a bit more midrange, but I have not given that amp it's due.

Thanks again for all of the great suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom