Popping over spdif

Ben.Last

Experienced
To continue the current trend of some of us attempting to get spdif up and running and having issues:

I just got one of the little coax to optical converters and am trying to get things going, but, as the title indicates, I'm getting pops/crackles every 10-15 seconds or so.
I'm running into an Audient id22 in only one direction (no output back to the AFX), and I've got both that and the Axe FX set to internal clock with the sample rate and buffer size the same. When I set the Audient to the AFX's clock I was getting the same issue, but I was also having some sort of pop up window on my computer for a split second in addition to that (plus, it being less convenient to have to switch to the AFX's clock every time I use it anyway). I think it was the Audient popping it up, but it goes so fast I can't be sure.

What should be my next troubleshooting step?

Two - or more - digital devices each running at its internal clock are not synchronized - even if both clocks are set to the same rate.

Devices not in sync produce noise, crackles, etc.

In a digital environment, there is always one - precisely ONE - clock master which all other devices have to sync to.

Except in the case you use interface(s) which do(es) clock rate conversion on its inputs - thus separating different clocks from each other and creating 2 or more separate clock domains.

Last edited:
Two - or more - digital devices each running at its internal clock are not synchronized - even if both clocks are set to the same rate.

Devices not in sync produce noise, crackles, etc.

In a digital environment, there is always one - precisely ONE - clock master which all other devices have to sync to.

Except the case you use interface(s) which do(es) clock rate conversion on its inputs - thus separating different clocks from each other and creating 2 or more separate clock domains.
Why was I still getting pops and worse when I set my interface to the AFX's clock though?

Ben

I had a similar issue when I had my Kemper and for me it turned out to be a bad solder joint on the cable bridging the wiring making it pop and the connectivity intermittent.

May be worth a check.

Why was I still getting pops and worse when I set my interface to the AFX's clock though?
You have obviously more than one problem in your setup.
Not in sync is issue No. 1. Settled.
Now look for issue No. 2.

Preset too hot ?

I suppose the popup you experience tells the story or some part of the story.

USB connection functional ? Cable bad or too long ? Etc.

Cannot be checked out from the distance. Try to catch the popup.
And post your preset, please.

The community is always helpful.

You have obviously more than one problem in your setup.
Not in sync is issue No. 1. Settled.
Now look for issue No. 2.

Preset too hot ?

I suppose the popup you experience tells the story or some part of the story.

USB connection functional ? Cable bad or too long ? Etc.

Cannot be checked out from the distance. Try to catch the popup.
And post your preset, please.

The community is always helpful.
The pop-up doesn't stay long enough to be seen.

My preset isn't clipping. I can post it later today.

My USB connection works as it should as far as I can tell.

It could be the cable. I'm using an optical cable that I had and the coax that came with the adaptor. I mainly want to confirm that I'm not missing anything else before ordering new things.

Maybe the short popup indicates Buffer Overflow(s) in the Audient Interface ? I'm not familiar with Audient Interfaces.

Did you try different Buffer Sizes ?
Start with a really large Buffer Size at first. Does ist solve the Issue ?

Does the S/PDIF electrical/optical converter introduce problems ? Not likely, but certainly not impossible.

There are several points in the signal chain and in your PC where the issue can be introduced.

Again, try to catch the popup somehow. It's very likely telling you the solution.

Here's my most used preset (the user cab is ML Mega djent 57b). As a note, there's no popping over xlr, and the spdif popping happens regardless of preset. I've leveled the preset to just below 0dB with my highest output guitar.

I'll see if I can get some sort of screen capture app going to catch that popup.

Attachments

• 000_RECTO1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Here's a grab of the popup. This is all it shows; the window is always transparent.

View attachment 82031
The popup shows and names exactly the issue you experience:
The interface either has an invalid clock input or does not see any valid clock, respectively. This latter status might be permanent or for more or less short moments. But however ....

Therefore, the Audient interface is clearly not synchronized to AXE-FX III.

Consequently you experience crackles, pops, noise. That's the normal behavior of two unsynchronized digital devices.

Last edited:
The popup shows and names exactly the issue you experience:
The interface either has an invalid clock input or does not see any valid clock, respectively. This latter status might be permanent or for more or less short moments. But however ....

Therefore, the Audient interface is clearly not synchronized to AXE-FX III.

Consequently you experience crackles, pops, noise. That's the normal behavior of two unsynchronized digital devices.
How do I synchronize them beyond setting the interface to use the AFX's clock, because this is the error that pops up when I set it to???

How do I synchronize them beyond setting the interface to use the AFX's clock, because this is the error that pops up when I set it to???
You cannot „force“ a synchronization.

The AXE must be set to use it‘s internal clock. Thus it acts as the clock master.

All other devices must be set to „listen“ to the master. On the appropriate digital port (!) if there is more than one. Read the manual of the Interface and its driver, how it‘s done.

Make sure you downloaded and installed the latest firmware and driver of the interface.

In your case I have some doubts concerning the electrical/optical S/PDIF converter. If it introduces trouble into the signal chain perhaps you won‘t get rid of.

I have some doubts about quality and length of the USB cable, too. Very often the source of problems.

Make sure both units are set to 48Khz sample rate. Set the iD22 to external clock and select spdif as the source, also make sure the axefx is set to output spdif. If clocked correctly the status light should be green? I think on the iD22. No guarantees though when using an unknown box converting from optical/adat to spdif connection.

You cannot „force“ a synchronization.

The AXE must be set to use it‘s internal clock. Thus it acts as the clock master.

All other devices must be set to „listen“ to the master. On the appropriate digital port (!) if there is more than one. Read the manual of the Interface and its driver, how it‘s done.

Make sure you downloaded and installed the latest firmware and driver of the interface.

In your case I have some doubts concerning the electrical/optical S/PDIF converter. If it introduces trouble into the signal chain perhaps you won‘t get rid of.

I have some doubts about quality and length of the USB cable, too. Very often the source of problems.
That is how I have it set up when I'm getting the pops and pop-up window. Newest drivers are installed.

Did you mean to refer to the USB cable, or do you mean the coax and optical cable that I'm using with the converter for spdif?

Make sure both units are set to 48Khz sample rate. Set the iD22 to external clock and select spdif as the source, also make sure the axefx is set to output spdif. If clocked correctly the status light should be green? I think on the iD22. No guarantees though when using an unknown box converting from optical/adat to spdif connection.
Both are set to 48Khz. Id22 is set to external clock and spdif as source. Axe FX is set to output spdif. The status light is green and remains so.

Back
Top Bottom