Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
To add some more context, and since I know you're a fan of the 5150 among others: The 5150 especially was fixed bias from the factory and could only be adjusted if you modded it in, so it does make sense that your real 5150 would be biased colder than the "how a tech would set it" bias Cliff chose. Mesa amps are the same.
good point regarding the Mesa amps. I found I like a bias of 0.45 for the JP II C+, this might very well be the reason

The 5150 is used in early machine head record and most of the metal hardcore scene of the 90´s . This guy got the sound I have in mind too , but when I try it in the axe 😑. Don’t know .

The 5150 is used in early machine head record and most of the metal hardcore scene of the 90´s . This guy got the sound I have in mind too , but when I try it in the axe 😑. Don’t know .

Have you tried Tone Matching it? That would be one of the first things I'd do.

I only tried the tone matching back in the day with axe 2. Never with the 3 yet ... I m a noob with this function.
I have spent 2 afternoon trying to do irs with Ir capture and got bad results, that’s strange because with the axe 2 I had good irs with this fonction . Maybe I do something wrong . I have tried with a di and with mic only and my irs sound like Crap .
yes the 5150 got normally a amazing ton of gain a lot of bees 🐝 like a vh4 in a way and cannot have it with the block letter included .
i owned a 3120 myself some years ago and was similar to that sound , interesting amp . with a real clean used by cavalera some years , even if he is a 6505 guy globally

Last edited:
Actually I think Arnold's sound it's quite easy to achieve with the PVH... OTOH, something like Trivium's Shogun/In Waves/Vengeance Falls era or Pre-5150 III Gojira seems harder to achieve.
Arnold sound with the 5150 block ? Hmmmm
I will spend more time with this amp tomorrow
The 5150 III in yellow it’s better than the red channel if I remember for more tight peavey things

When you talk about the 5150 is it the 3 or the block letter ? i still don’t have a sound I like with the block letter I don’t know why . This amp is a hardcore classic and sound weird in the axe.
Using PVH Block. Try setting the Master Volume around 1.5-2, all tone knobs at 6, Depth 6-8, and Presence at zero-2 (the real amp’s presence doesn’t do anything until you take it up to around 6 which is the same as the Axe presence at zero). Use that as a starting point and then tweak the tone controls to taste. To match my amp, go to the power amp page and back off the Grid bias a bit.

@York Audio Ok so it don’t represent your work . What about removing the old ones and put your present work ? (Just talking, I imagine it’s not so easy)
I use a lot of different cabs and all are stock ones , it can be very cool if fractal does brand new ones, you, ownhammer .... the irs seems to be something more than important in the sound of modellers, as it’s all about miced amp

I think the axe don’t make them Justice . They are very trebly. I will try my pack tomorrow .
i have done tons of combinations with the stock ones, but many of them are boxy . It can be another step to have a big upgrade with cabs in the next firmware as we know that changing 10 high gain heads in the same cab sound pretty close, but changing 10 cabs with the same head sounds drastically different

I'm not sure replacing IRs on the Axe Fx III would make sense. I guess with the amp models deleting a model and replacing it with a newer version would be similar, but if someone has IRs ad IR combinations they've set up then changing them out from under them could be frustrating. And the factory IR slots are all full so none can be added without removing existing ones.

Hey mate, my metal chops are pretty much vanished and I don't have a detuned guitar to match the sound but I think the 5150 fuzzy character you're after is pretty much achievable with the Axe Fx.
I don't like this sound to be honest but it seems to fit (I think we're also both Italian)

@IronSean Downloadable pack we put in user ones ?
a way to erase the stock ones and replace it ?
You know cygnus change all the preamps ... so why not change all the cabs now? 😅.

now that cliff has big muscles after having lifted all these heads it is time to switch to 4x12 to continue sculpting his body ! (joking)

Hey mate, my metal chops are pretty much vanished and I don't have a detuned guitar to match the sound but I think the 5150 fuzzy character you're after is pretty much achievable with the Axe Fx.
I don't like this sound to be honest but it seems to fit (I think we're also both Italian)

I probably use the wrong cab. I use the 5153 ones if I remember . Your sound it’s ok here . 5150 block ? Don’t have this sound here . I will try tomorrow . 🇮🇹

I believe that Machine Head sound was the 5150 crunch channel boosted with an SD-1. I kinda remember reading that the cab was a Marshall 1960 with T75s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom