IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Just want to say well done York Audio. Picked up the FDMN 412 cab pack yesterday, eager to pair with the BE C45 amp. Never made it past the Mix folder and had something that made me happy in minutes. Couldn't put the guitar down and now I sadly log in for work very very tired but happy!

Hey Justin
hope all is well , how is the York custom 212 coming along do you think we may see a release this month
now that FM3 had the Ultrares option i am stoked for the M65s
My cabinet builder is making four more prototypes as we speak. I had an idea for a new grill panel design I’ve never seen on a cab before, and our testing showed how huge of a difference that panel can make in your overall tone. As soon as we get THE cabinet, I’m gonna go crazy with that thing and have lots of ideas for it. It’s gotta be exceptional, so it’ll be worth the wait.

Just want to say well done York Audio. Picked up the FDMN 412 cab pack yesterday, eager to pair with the BE C45 amp. Never made it past the Mix folder and had something that made me happy in minutes. Couldn't put the guitar down and now I sadly log in for work very very tired but happy!
I’m so glad you’re liking it, and thanks for sharing your experience on here. I’m sorry that you’re tired, but stoked that you’re digging your new tones!

My cabinet builder is making four more prototypes as we speak. I had an idea for a new grill panel design I’ve never seen on a cab before, and our testing showed how huge of a difference that panel can make in your overall tone. As soon as we get THE cabinet, I’m gonna go crazy with that thing and have lots of ideas for it. It’s gotta be exceptional, so it’ll be worth the wait.

I’m so glad you’re liking it, and thanks for sharing your experience on here. I’m sorry that you’re tired, but stoked that you’re digging your new tones!
Thanks for the update Justin
so still a little ways off
question as you have so many speaker types ready have you decided how this one will be packaged will it be perhaps a bunch of lite style packs for each of the different speakers or will you do more a bundle

Thanks for the update Justin
so still a little ways off
question as you have so many speaker types ready have you decided how this one will be packaged will it be perhaps a bunch of lite style packs for each of the different speakers or will you do more a bundle
I view this cab like any other cabinet I have... just better made with the goal to have a cabinet that every speaker sounds great that I throw in it. I’ll use it for Lite packs, full packs, dual speaker packs, and maybe even packs with several speakers.

The badge on a cabinet can make the player assume it’s going to sound a certain way or is designed for certain styles. At this point, I think when players see York Audio, they equate it to quality and accuracy rather than a tone or genre. These packs will honor the speakers and let the player determine what kinds of tones they want to get with them. I really can’t wait to get this new batch of prototypes! The amount of time we’ve put into testing different materials, construction methods, and dimensions has been truly eye-opening for a cab nut like myself. It has to sound great with different speakers, different amps, and different guitars. It’s gonna be awesome!

Your custom 212 cab might be in line with what I was hoping you'd do/what I've daydreamed about doing if I were an IR maker.

What I do like about Celestion IRs: The emphasis is on the speakers themselves, rather than the cabs. The cabs they use are a "neutral" basis for directly comparing different speaker IRs and how those speaker IRs in and of themselves are (dis)similar. What this also allows for is better/more natural mixing of 2+ different speaker IRs.

What I really like about OwnHammer IRs: I have found, and this might mainly be my neurosis, that when mixing IRs from different cabs, there is just something "off" or "unnatural" about it. I always prefer mixing IRs taken from the same cab. OwnHammer offers several multi-speaker packs which are great for these blends. The "space", "depth", "dimension", "insert adjectives here" just always feels more authentic. 75% of the time, I like using CabLab to blend 2+ speakers together, or just use two different speakers in the cab block. 2+ speakers sounds more "interesting" to me. I'll gladly take a G12H-30+G12M-25 over a G12M-25 any (well, most) days.

If I were a super rad and talented IR maker, here is what I would do:
1) Cab Series:
-Classic speakers paired up with classic cabs (aka what York is currently doing).
-This puts the emphasis on the cabs over the speakers. Or more correctly, the interplay of specific cabs and specific speakers.
-The Cab Series is for the purist/traditionalist.

2) Speaker Series:
-Get 3x custom built cabinets:
--1x 1x12" & 1x 2x12":
---1) with convertible back panel for open/closed configurations,
---2) with 2-4x removable grill cloths to a) pair right style grill cloth for right speakers (Jen P12 with Fender black/silver, or EVM-12L with Mesa cane weave), and b) to demonstrate the minor but noticeable affect that grill cloth material has on tone (see OwnHammer 412 ZLCS V30 MMMC)
---3) rear loaded and front loaded speaker mounts
--1x 4x12" with 2) & 3) from above.
-The Speaker Series is for the experimentalist (but traditionalist are welcome too!)

With the Speaker Series, you could sell separate packs for say a low gain speaker like Jen P12 in a 1x12+2x12 pack (open or closed, various grill cloths or no grill cloth options,) or a higher gain speaker like a V30 as a 2x12+4x12 pack. Or sell them as individual 1x12, 2x12, or 4x12 packs, or all 3 cabinets combined (see Celestion). The main attraction of this capturing methodology & sales structure, for me, is the ability to mix different speaker IRs, that are from the same cabinet, and not experience any off the "off" or "unnatural" funkiness I described above.

Please feel free to steal or expand upon or disregard my ideas. If utilized, Ill gladly take payment in future IRs. That's like Bitcoin for guitards, right?!

Your custom 212 cab might be in line with what I was hoping you'd do/what I've daydreamed about doing if I were an IR maker.

What I do like about Celestion IRs: The emphasis is on the speakers themselves, rather than the cabs. The cabs they use are a "neutral" basis for directly comparing different speaker IRs and how those speaker IRs in and of themselves are (dis)similar. What this also allows for is better/more natural mixing of 2+ different speaker IRs.

What I really like about OwnHammer IRs: I have found, and this might mainly be my neurosis, that when mixing IRs from different cabs, there is just something "off" or "unnatural" about it. I always prefer mixing IRs taken from the same cab. OwnHammer offers several multi-speaker packs which are great for these blends. The "space", "depth", "dimension", "insert adjectives here" just always feels more authentic. 75% of the time, I like using CabLab to blend 2+ speakers together, or just use two different speakers in the cab block. 2+ speakers sounds more "interesting" to me. I'll gladly take a G12H-30+G12M-25 over a G12M-25 any (well, most) days.

If I were a super rad and talented IR maker, here is what I would do:
1) Cab Series:
-Classic speakers paired up with classic cabs (aka what York is currently doing).
-This puts the emphasis on the cabs over the speakers. Or more correctly, the interplay of specific cabs and specific speakers.
-The Cab Series is for the purist/traditionalist.

2) Speaker Series:
-Get 3x custom built cabinets:
--1x 1x12" & 1x 2x12":
---1) with convertible back panel for open/closed configurations,
---2) with 2-4x removable grill cloths to a) pair right style grill cloth for right speakers (Jen P12 with Fender black/silver, or EVM-12L with Mesa cane weave), and b) to demonstrate the minor but noticeable affect that grill cloth material has on tone (see OwnHammer 412 ZLCS V30 MMMC)
---3) rear loaded and front loaded speaker mounts
--1x 4x12" with 2) & 3) from above.
-The Speaker Series is for the experimentalist (but traditionalist are welcome too!)

With the Speaker Series, you could sell separate packs for say a low gain speaker like Jen P12 in a 1x12+2x12 pack (open or closed, various grill cloths or no grill cloth options,) or a higher gain speaker like a V30 as a 2x12+4x12 pack. Or sell them as individual 1x12, 2x12, or 4x12 packs, or all 3 cabinets combined (see Celestion). The main attraction of this capturing methodology & sales structure, for me, is the ability to mix different speaker IRs, that are from the same cabinet, and not experience any off the "off" or "unnatural" funkiness I described above.

Please feel free to steal or expand upon or disregard my ideas. If utilized, Ill gladly take payment in future IRs. That's like Bitcoin for guitards, right?!
Your Speaker Series is pretty much in line with what I’m working ok. I’ll have several cabinets with different grill panels, back panels, and construction tweaks that cater to different types of speakers. For instance, I’ve got several pairs and quads of speakers that aren’t “stock” in any cabs. With these York Audio cabs, I can put the speakers in all of the cabs and choose the one that best fits that speaker rather than just throwing them in a Mesa or something.

The tricky part is offering options without option overload. There are a hundred ways to approach it, but I want to find a way that makes these exciting and useful to you guys.

@York Audio Just curious, but what studio monitors do you use?
I use ATC SCM25a Pro monitors. They are VERY revealing, but I think they sound exceptional.

@My name is mud I hope you like the little demo pack for the Mesa 2x12. All of the clips on my site use the Axe-Fx III and one of the Mixes from my packs without any extra processing. Try the Mixes folder first and see which one of those you like the best. You’ll need to adjust your amp settings for the new IR, but I promise you you’ll have the most authentic tones that way rather than inserting these into presets built around different IRs. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help.

Enjoy!

@My name is mud I can’t stress how important it is to tweak your amp settings for the IR you’re using rather than inserting a new IR into a preset you made using a different cab/speaker/IR maker.

If you think a Mix has too much top end, adjust your treble and presence like you would if you had the real amp and cab sitting in front of you. If your patches are dialed in with someone else’s 4x12, it’ll sound very different than using my 2x12.

You also may be used to IRs that have had their top end cut off or have boosted low end. Hearing an accurate IR can be like dialing in a tone for a semi-hollowbody and then thinking it’s too bright when you plug in a Tele. The patch needs to be tweaked for the Tele in order for it to sound right.

Don’t be afraid to turn some knobs. ;) You mentioned liking the clips on my site. All of the high gain clips are just an amp and a cab block and only using basic tone controls on the amp. The Limited pack also has way fewer mics, mixes, and positions than the full pack offers. And if you’re used to playing through 4x12 IRs, you’ll probably like a 4x12 pack better.

Yes most of 2x12 sounds different than 4x12. I still don’t understand why a sm57 in a single cone of a 4x12 , a 2x12 or even a 1x12 sound different and not the same . How can this mic considering the cab himself when you have a ton of volume on it ?

Yes most of 2x12 sounds different than 4x12. I still don’t understand why a sm57 in a single cone of a 4x12 , a 2x12 or even a 1x12 sound different and not the same . How can this mic considering the cab himself when you have a ton of volume on it ?
Speakers, mics, and cabinet boxes are like snowflakes... they’re all different. I have four 57’s that all sound different. All four speakers in a 4x12 will sound different from each other. The same speakers put in different 4x12 boxes will sound different.

The microphone captures more than just one speaker, it also hears the resonance of the box (which changes depending on construction, speaker configuration, etc.) and hears the interplay of the other speakers in the cabinet. So if I take a V30 and mic it in a 1x12, and then put the same speaker in a 4x12 and mic it in the same spot, it will have a different tone due to the cabinet it’s in.

A lot of other factors come to play too like the room it’s captured in, the capturing technique, and the outboard gear you’re using. Also, 2x12 cabinets normally have 16 ohm speakers, which have more top end than 8 ohm versions of the same model. So if you’re used to hearing a Mesa 4x12 with 8 ohm V30s, a Mesa 2x12 with 16 ohm V30s will be a very different sounding experience.

@York Audio Wouldn't be cool to give a "suggested" Speaker Impedance Curve in the cab pack description?
Some are kinda self explanatory but others might not be (for example the MES 412 TRAD a Recto Slant or a Recto Small?).

I think this is one of the best settings for get an authentic relationship between Amp and IRs and for changing the response and the overall tone.

@York Audio Wouldn't be cool to give a "suggested" Speaker Impedance Curve in the cab pack description?
Some are kinda self explanatory but others might not be (for example the MES 412 TRAD a Recto Slant or a Recto Small?).

I think this is one of the best settings for get an authentic relationship between Amp and IRs and for changing the response and the overall tone.
Some of my cabs were used for the impedance curves in the Axe. I gave a list of some of my cabs to Cliff in case he ever wants the impedance curve data.

I always use the Recto Large for the Mesa OS. For the Mesa Trad, I think I use the Recto Small or the Recto Straight for that one. I haven’t measured it yet, so I don’t know which current curve is the closest.

Never tought of buying IRs as so much are included on the fm3 and the tones are great. However I can’t help being tempted with all the compliments YA cabs get... and I could also really benefit from having just a couple go to cabs I can use across my tones.

I mainly use fenders, jtm45, soldano 100, trainwreck, dumble, Jcm 800 and ac20...

mainly cleans, edge of breakup and Marshall type rock tones...

which pack (or packs) could be a good choice for me?

The cabs themselves have resonances that affect the sound picked up by the mic, which relate to the shape, size, and construction of the cab.

Never tought of buying IRs as so much are included on the fm3 and the tones are great. However I can’t help being tempted with all the compliments YA cabs get... and I could also really benefit from having just a couple go to cabs I can use across my tones.

I mainly use fenders, jtm45, soldano 100, trainwreck, dumble, Jcm 800 and ac20...

Thanks for your interest! For traditional Fender stuff, the Deluxe Reverb is very popular. The Bassman and Princeton have different and really cool character to them, but most people start with the Deluxe and branch out from there.

For the Classic Marshally thing, I’d suggest the Marshall M25 (for classic Greenback), Marshall Blackjack (Blackbacks with more mids and warmer top end), or the 5153 (20w Greenbacks with woodier low mids... and one of my personal favorites).

For the AC20, do you normally like it on the Voxy side or the Matchless-y side?

Thanks for your interest! For traditional Fender stuff, the Deluxe Reverb is very popular. The Bassman and Princeton have different and really cool character to them, but most people start with the Deluxe and branch out from there.

For the Classic Marshally thing, I’d suggest the Marshall M25 (for classic Greenback), Marshall Blackjack (Blackbacks with more mids and warmer top end), or the 5153 (20w Greenbacks with woodier low mids... and one of my personal favorites).

For the AC20, do you normally like it on the Voxy side or the Matchless-y side?

thanks a lot. Would the 5153 be a good choice for the “slash” / ac/dc hard rock type of sound?

The ac20 is really my vox tone... i just prefer that model on the fractal

thanks a lot. Would the 5153 be a good choice for the “slash” / ac/dc hard rock type of sound?

The ac20 is really my vox tone... i just prefer that model on the fractal
Slash was mainly a V30 guy, and I got some great Slash tones with the Bogner pack. I’ve got a 1960BV here I need to shoot that nails the Slash thing with my Slash head, so that’s gonna be a fun one to capture one of these days.

I think the 5153 would be a great cab to start with for a wide variety of tones. I’ve got guys who swear by “this cab” or “that cab,” but I find the 5153 can cover a lot of ground and sounds great with edge of breakup tones as well as full SLO 100 saturation.

If you want to stay with the Voxy vibe for your AC20, the VX30 has that boxy midrange and warm chime. The VX15 has a deeper low end and a crisper top end with more focus.

They’re all my babies, so I like them all. Hopefully some of this helps.

I would try the Mesa 212 for the $1
but for what you describe Deluve
Matchless , marshall M25 would be good choices
but also the vx115 and 5153

Slash was mainly a V30 guy, and I got some great Slash tones with the Bogner pack. I’ve got a 1960BV here I need to shoot that nails the Slash thing with my Slash head, so that’s gonna be a fun one to capture one of these days.

I think the 5153 would be a great cab to start with for a wide variety of tones. I’ve got guys who swear by “this cab” or “that cab,” but I find the 5153 can cover a lot of ground and sounds great with edge of breakup tones as well as full SLO 100 saturation.

If you want to stay with the Voxy vibe for your AC20, the VX30 has that boxy midrange and warm chime. The VX15 has a deeper low end and a crisper top end with more focus.

They’re all my babies, so I like them all. Hopefully some of this helps.

thanks a lot. I’m between the m25 and now that I hear the samples I’m also considering the Friedman to cover that tone spectrum... any advice there?

Back
Top Bottom