My "OMC9" setup

hole

Inspired
Some people have asked me about my setup using the FM3 and MC6 in an 'OMG9 like way' in another thread.

I have made a video showing how it works, and I will add an explanation on how it is set up later. Thought it would be best to make a seperate thread, so people might benefit.

In the video I make some mistakes, talking about 'presets' when I mean either scenes or effects, but you will get what I mean anyway, I hope.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that! I didn't know you could get it that close to the OMG9 setup. I think the FC6 is pretty sweet, but it being the same size as the FM3 for 6 switches is pretty huge.

Thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to your setup video. I have a Bridge6 pre-ordered and assume the setup will be very similar if not the same.

Thanks @hole. Are you actually set up with a pseudo 2 way communication between the FM3 and the MC6? I see cables plugged into both the MIDI Out and MIDI In port on the MC6. If you're set up is utilizing some semblance of 2-way communication - could you elaborate on how you set up this type of communication? That's the piece of the this set up that I find most intriguing and also the most confusing, Any more details here would be very helpful.

FM3 is sending midi to the MC6, and the MC6 is sending midi to the FM3. Basically, I'm using the FM3 to change banks on the MC6 and using the MC6 to change presets/scenes/effects on the FM3. Additionally, there is some "internal switching" on the MC6, where pressing a footswitch will toggle some function on the MC6 (along with changing something on the FM3.

Setting this up really isn't that difficult. I have FM3 on midi channel 1, and the MC6 on midi channel 2 just to make sure. It's just using one Layout on the FM3 , where I assign 3 Control Switches to the three footswitches and one Control Switch for a long press (for Looper) and some basic presets (PC and CC) on the MC6. I'm only using a few MC6 specific commands (for example for toggling the Capitalisation on the presets, going directly to scenes page when you change presets )

I will try to do a write-up of it in more detail this weekend. Meanwhile, feel free to ask any specific questions you might have.

Last edited:
FM3 is sending midi to the MC6, and the MC6 is sending midi to the FM3. Basically, I'm using the FM3 to change banks on the MC6 and using the MC6 to change presets/scenes/effects on the FM3. Additionally, there is some "internal switching" on the MC6, where pressing a footswitch will toggle some function on the MC6 (along with changing something on the FM3.

Setting this up really isn't that difficult. I have FM3 on midi channel 1, and the MC6 on midi channel 2 just to make sure. It's just using one Layout on the FM3 , where I assign 3 Control Switches to the three footswitches and one Control Switch for a long press (for Looper) and some basic presets (PC and CC) on the MC6. I'm only using a few MC6 specific commands (for example for toggling the Capitalisation on the presets, going directly to scenes page when you change presets )

I will try to do a write-up of it in more detail this weekend. Meanwhile, feel free to ask any specific questions you might have.
How do you configure the send and receive channels on the MC6 and FM3? I know it's probably easy, but for the sake of documentation / future reference, and speed, it would be awesome if you could share that. What are the specific steps to do this? I only recall seeing one 'MIDI Channel' option in the FM3, and it wasn't specific to sending or receiving MIDI. I could be mistaken.

Your writeup will be hugely useful by the way - there's bits and pieces of information on how to configure the MC6/8 all over this forum and TGP, but none all in 1 spot for the FM3/AXE!

Can you share the configuration files for the mc6 and fm3 ? Is this possible something we could just load.

My setup:

I have the FM1 receiving midi on channel 1 and the MC6 on channel 2. You may choose other channels, but be sure that they are two seperate channels, to prevent problems.

The Control Changes # I am using are arbitrary too, you can choose other ones. Set these up on the FM3 under Setup, MIDI/Remote:
Bypass effects: Bypass tab
Looper: Looper tab
Scenes and presets: Other tab
Expression pedal (external control): External tab

FM3 setup

Set the FM3 to the correct midi-channel:
On the unit, go Setup, MIDI/Remote. Set midi channel to 1

Set up control switches on the FM3
To switch banks on the MC6, we will need to send out Program Changes.

In FM3-Edit, press 'FC Controllers' (near the top right), then CS-Midi.

Set up the switches like this:
1618558761103.png

Click on "CS1" for a drowdown menu. Set up CS2 through CS4 as above (Enable: yes, Type: PC, Channel: 2) but use these values:
CS2 on value 1
CS3 on value 2
CS4 on value 3

(you can set this up via the FM3 too, Setup, FC Controllers/Onboard Switches, Scroll page right untill CS MIDI tab)

Set up a layout on the FM3
on the "FC Controller" page, select the layout you want to use (I use 8)
Set up as below:
1618558991987.png

Footswitch 1 and 2 (Scenes and Effects) are set up the same as this one (TAP), but use CS1 and CS2 respectively

In FM3 edit, click Devices. set up Start up layout:
1618562550117.png

(or on the FM3: SEtup, FC Controllers/Onboard Switches, Devices Tab)

That is it for the FM3 side of things

MC6 setup

Go to the online editor: https://editor-mkii.morningstar.io/ and connect to your device.

Controller setup, General settings:
1618559606264.png

"Save Preset Toggle" and 'Midi Channel are the most important ones. The other ones are just preference.

MC6 Bank setup.
I use the following banks:

1. Scenes
2. Effects
3. Presets
4. Looper

On the top of the screen, select the bank with the dropdown menu, then in "Edit Bank" change the name of the bank (if you want to, not necessary, but better to keep things organised). Don't forget to save.

Select presets:
Select appropriate bank (top of screen) and presetnumber. (Dropdown menus)

For preset 1 on the FM3, send Program Change 0 etc (For preset 2, send PC 1 ....) etc
1618560932997.png

Add Msg 2 if you want to go directly to the scenes page when you select a preset

Change Scenes:
1618560013108.png

Other switches set up exactly the same. For scene X use CC value X-1 (example: for Scene 4, use value 3). If you want 'mutually exclusive active scenes', make sure you toggle disengage for the other presets in the Scenes bank)

Scrolling through scenes: (+1 / - 1)
1618560246350.png
Incremental scroll is setup the same, just use different CC number

Activate/Bypass effect:
1618560458554.png
Other ones are setup the same, but use different CC's

Looper:
1618560726645.png

Other ones are the same, just different CC's

Attachments

• Morningstar_MC6_MKII_Backup_File.syx
    164.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
See 0:35 in the video. Active scene is capitalized. When you select other scene, it will be capitalized, and the former active scene is returned to lower case.

Suggestion - copy and paste your writeup into Post #1. This is sticky material, IMO - simple and easy tutorial on how to set up MIDI. Could do a lot more than this simple setup, but this is a good example to get your feet wet

Back
Top Bottom