Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems installing this update has deleted all of my saved blocks. Doesn't really make sense, so perhaps I am mistaken.

Anyone else having a similar issue? I had hundreds of blocks saved.

Suggestion for those who are unsatisfied with some aspect of the tone at the new firmware:

1) Use a reamped track to create clips with the old and the new firmware version, for a proper A/B comparison
2) Post both clips and the preset, so you can receive advice from FAS or from other users of the forum

Here you go. Beta 11 followed by beta 12. I'm not unsatisfied. I'm just trying to dial in a tone that I liked in beta 11. Obviously there is a difference in low end, but it's more than that. I've been experimenting with depth and depth frequency and negative feedback. But I'm shooting in the dark. I thought it might be more productive if Cliff could share what he changed.

Attachments

• FriedmanTest.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 2
Here you go. Beta 11 followed by beta 12. I'm not unsatisfied. I'm just trying to dial in a tone that I liked in beta 11. Obviously there is a difference in low end, but it's more than that. I've been experimenting with depth and depth frequency and negative feedback. But I'm shooting in the dark. I thought it might be more productive if Cliff could share what he changed.

Beta 11 was based on a 2020 BE Deluxe. There are a couple resistors that are larger values which lowers the cutoff frequency of the coupling capacitors.

People were complaining about the models so I went back to the 2018 version of the amp. There is nothing you can do as a user aside from using Beta 11.

Not everyone here records though.
I guess I'm not sure what the rebuttal is. Everyone here (assuming they have an Axe) can record, if they so choose. They certainly have the ability. The will and the skill, that's up to each individual, but it doesn't take much of either to record a couple tracks into a DAW.

Beta 11 was based on a 2020 BE Deluxe. There are a couple resistors that are larger values which lowers the cutoff frequency of the coupling capacitors.

People were complaining about the models so I went back to the 2018 version of the amp. There is nothing you can do as a user aside from using Beta 11.
At the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, is it possible to have both the 2018 and 2020 Friedman models in the Axe? I think shooting for something like 20 variations of the Friedman in the Axe is a worthy cause. We're about half way there at this point. It's a popular enough model to justify it ;)

Comparisons made by memory are very unreliable. They are affected by a large number of psychical and physical variables. Even with the same sound source, moving the head just an inch can create a different perception of the frequency spectrum, room reflections, etc.

This video is long, but worth to watch:

Poppy Crum!!!

Is it worth having both versions available as separate models?

EDIT: Which @Brian Angiel already posted while I wrote...

I prefer the 2020 model. Why not have both? I mean, if they’re both already Cygnu-fied.

Last edited:
The Legend 100 doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Cali Leggy to me. Crank the depth control, and there is my favorite tone! The depth control on the Legend 100 just sounds weird. It muddies the tone rather than beefs it up. Any chance of adding the Cali Leggy back?

The Legend 100 doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Cali Leggy to me. Crank the depth control, and there is my favorite tone! The depth control on the Legend 100 just sounds weird. It muddies the tone rather than beefs it up. Any chance of adding the Cali Leggy back?
I don't design the amps, I just model them. Take it up with Carvin.

I didn't not like it that much, being honest. I can see why some people complained but it was very fat and goopy.
There seems to be two very extreme schools of guitarists here.

Just thinking about all the variations of the Friedman BE, not even considering the other products in their lineup, is giving me a migraine. I believe Fractal has modeled four of 'em so far.

I've only played one real BE. I believe it was the 2018 variety, and I liked it a lot. I also gigged with the Mark Day V1 BE Model for years, first on the AX8 and then on the FM3 as my Marshall flavor of choice. I think I stuck with it over the 2018 model out of habit more than anything else.

The clips of the 2020 BE Deluxe model didn't impress me. Leon got it to sound good, but only by adding an aggressive EQ....which shouldn't be necessary. I'm glad we're back to the 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom