MIDI Question - two CC's sending a PC?

JRod4928

Power User
I'm using a Morningstar MC6 to control my FM3. I was testing and found a weird bug on one particular preset of mine....

If I hit the Scene 4 or Scene 6 buttons on my MC6 two times in quick succession (Sending CC 100, Value 3 and 5) it acts as though I'm sending PC1 to my FM3. In my case, that is the same as CS1, which changes the bank on my MC.

This doesn't happen in any other preset except this one preset in particular. I got this preset online, didn't make it myself.

Why would this happen? Can I find a MIDI command log or a map or something for this preset to track down what's happening?

Can presets be set up to send PC MIDI commands if two quick CCs are sent? (There is no MIDI block in this preset)

How is a PC like a CS? Those are 2 very different things...

The presets can be set to send various midi commands (if you had a scene midi block) but that is SENDING midi... The midi isn't received by the FM3.

Perhaps contact support?

You could also try using a Midi monitor like MidiOX on your computer (assuming your MC6 can send midi to your computer over USB or via a USB to midi adapter).

That will allow you to confirm exactly what MC6 is sending.

are you sure you are not hitting 2 switches at the same time? Per default, hitting d+e or e+f together will call a preset on the second page of the bank you are in on the MC6

Also, do you have midi through enabled and are both devices on same midi channel? if so, that could cause unwanted behaviour. Best to have them on seperate midi channels

ETA : As you state that you didn't write the preset yourself, there's probably something in there that is causing this behaviour. I would be happy to try and help you out. it would be helpful if you perhaps could share your MC6 preset, or perhaps a screenshot of the editor showing the preset.

Last edited:
The MC editor has a log, it was only sending the CC's I programmed it to send.

This doesn't happen in any other FM3 preset except this specific one. In all the factory FM3 presets it works beautifully. I'm a noob at MIDI, but not sure why it would behave this way - the only variable is the FM3 preset in question.

I'm not hitting 2 buttons at once. And the MC isn't configured to send Double Tap, or Hold messages. Only Press.

I'm not in front of my devices to test. But in a bit I can share my FM3 preset.

I thought I had to have FM3 and MC on same MIDI channel for them to communicate? Because I currently have the FM3 and MC sending and receiving to each other?

If they're on 2 different channels, will they communicate properly?

If you setup the devices correctly, they can each receive midi info on seperate channels without problems. This is exactly why you have 16 midi channels available. To be able to 'talk to' different devices if you need to.

To be clear:
Setup the FM3 to RECEIVE midi on channel 1 and SEND out midi to the MC6 on channel 2
Setup the MC6 to RECEIVE midi on channel 2 and SEND out midi to the FM3 on channel 1

(channel numbers are arbitrary, use any one you like, just make sure they are not the same )

Also, please share your MC6 preset...not the FM3 preset. The problem is most likely in the MC6

If you setup the devices correctly, they can each receive midi info on seperate channels without problems. This is exactly why you have 16 midi channels available. To be able to 'talk to' different devices if you need to.

To be clear:
Setup the FM3 to RECEIVE midi on channel 1 and SEND out midi to the MC6 on channel 2
Setup the MC6 to RECEIVE midi on channel 2 and SEND out midi to the FM3 on channel 1

(channel numbers are arbitrary, use any one you like, just make sure they are not the same )

Also, please share your MC6 preset...not the FM3 preset. The problem is most likely in the MC6
I was just about to ask you this question. Thanks, I'll give it a shot in the next couple days. Unfortunately won't have time tonight.

Adding to this incase anyone experiences the same..

in axe edit go to controllers, and CS per Scene... turns out the preset I was using (downloaded from someone else) was set up to activate a Control Switch when you enter Scene 4 or 6.... My MC6 is set up to change banks when certain Control Switches are engaged, so every time I changed to Scenes 4 or 6, it would automatically send another message to my MC6 to change banks... very confusing until I stumbled upon this.

Back
Top Bottom