Axe 3 security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to stop someone from walking up to my Axe 3, inserting a USB cable that goes to their laptop, and copying all my files? I'd like there to be a way to make sure my patches are shared because I agree to share them-- and not because someone has access to my equipment and simply takes them. Is there some way to password protect the Fractal Bot interface? Password protecting the Axe 3 unit itself?
Sorry to disagree with the replies above, but yes. This is simple. Any USB B port locker will prevent unauthorized access. For example:

https://smartkeeper.us/product/smart-keeper-usb-b-port-locks-with-key/

How fire are your patches that people are out here stealing them straight from your unit?
And can you upload a free sample? lol

Sorry to disagree with the replies above, but yes. This is simple. Any USB B port locker will prevent unauthorized access. For example:

https://smartkeeper.us/product/smart-keeper-usb-b-port-locks-with-key/
Awesome GlennO, I appreciate it. One other response suggested a physical USB port blocker. So the conclusion so far is: that it can be done with a USB blocker, but not through software. I am hoping to find, or request in future updates, that Fractal Bot asks for a handshake with a Fractal Audio unit before files can be transferred. Thanks for your help.

Cliff has not yet responded to my requests for an AI-driven electromagnetic stun array (with upgrade options for projectiles)..so I think a lock would be the best route
I was thinking any unauthorized downloading of patches would wipe the host laptop's hard drive and drain their paypal account, just sayin.

I support a certain world class pro who also wishes for a front panel password, so if someone steals his Axe-Fx, they won't be able to steal his presets.
Yes. That's what I'm talking about. If you want to share, share... but have the option to have your shields up. It's a deadly game out there.

Maybe you should just migrate back to an analog rig if your presets are so valuable that people are conspiring to steal them from you?
You can cover up the knobs on your analog amp with duct tape so that people can't see what your settings are.
not good answer. You can go to his gig with binoculars and copy all his amps and effects settings. You can also follow him to guitar center, get in line behind him and see what kind of picks he's buying.

If not implemented properly it could be just as easy for someone to lock you out of your own device.

This would be my main worry with a feature implemented.. Not for the technical reason, but there are many people who could get locked out of their axe fx on accident.

I do understand the concept though.. while it may not be everyone, there are some players whos sound design is their true trademark. or, their sound design in the context of their band etc. Theoretically any major artists presets do have a value, lets say one is in a tribute act for zappa and suddenly they've been able to pirate all of dweezil's presets, or a u2 tribute band with the edges, or metallica etc because an axe fx was stolen in transit or accessed.

magicians don't like their tricks getting revealed!

This would be my main worry with a feature implemented.. Not for the technical reason, but there are many people who could get locked out of their axe fx on accident.

I do understand the concept though.. while it may not be everyone, there are some players whos sound design is their true trademark. or, their sound design in the context of their band etc. Theoretically any major artists presets do have a value, lets say one is in a tribute act for zappa and suddenly they've been able to pirate all of dweezil's presets, or a u2 tribute band with the edges, or metallica etc because an axe fx was stolen in transit or accessed.

magicians don't like their tricks getting revealed!
That is a good concern. Its is a bit different than an iPhone-- or might involve a more involved tech support layer. But it seems reasonable, and I'm sure Fractal Audio could pull it off, with colors. Perhaps users could choose, like an iPhone, not to passcode protect. Others could opt in, with the risks that come with it. It seems just about every digital device that has any power has password protection, but not the Axe, which I definitely see as a serious tool that creates IP through investment of your time and effort.

The biggest hits in recorded history are the best songs, period. No guitar tone in the world would have stopped those songs or made those songs any bigger. You think these guys were splitting fly farts when they were taking over the world with a guitar and an amp? Getting your sound/technique/look/music or anything else ripped off is inevitable if you're relevant. So many artists are more than happy to talk shop, share settings and approaches etc as well. Les Paul virtually created everything we are talking about on a daily basis and his setup was right on the floor for anyone walking up to it to see, he couldn't have possibly cared less. He had a couple boss pedals and a very simple board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom