Considering an Axe, have a few questions.

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Hi guys

I've been considering an Axe FX3 for the past few weeks and I have a few questions but first......

I have been a long time digital amp/multi effects user, back from the Pod Bean days through all Line 6 (minus the Helix but had a few guitars), boss, Guitar Pro, and various others. I'm no stranger to the digital world.

Around 3 years ago I purchased a Kemper and sold my JVM 410h. I stuck with the Kemper as it did have a phenomenal amp like sound and worked great live. After 3 years I became disenfranchised with a few aspects of the Kemper.
  1. First of all the constant scrolling through profiles to only find I needed to purchase more was tedious.
  2. The lack of amp control beyond the profile was frustrating at times.
  3. I found I only ever played the JCM800ZW and the AFD100 profiles from Choptones and Deadlight.
  4. The Kemper was an extremely stable device in the first few year, but during the development phase of the computer editor Rig Manager become extremely unstable. The constant fixes and updates whilst pandering to the wants of a slew of new customers led to my Kemper becoming unstable.
  5. And lastly, as a gigging musicianPerformance Mode when editing started to lose setting and Rig Manager started to corrupt my profiles.
Please don't take this as moaning. I was not only gigging as a guitars/vocalist in a hard rock band, but I was the main writer so having these issues really cut into my creative time and meant it was time for a change.

Anyway, I purchased a JCM800, a Two Notes Reload and have been happy ever since.

So why am I hear....

Well I have been eyeing up a Revv G20, an SC20h and a few pedals. I would also like to replace my ageing Gen2 Focusrite 18i20.

Due to becoming obsessed with amps again, something the Kemper quelled, I am considering the Axe FX. This would replace my Focusrite and the Axe FX would work alongside my JCM800 for all the tones I feel I am missing or would like for layering.

I don't think I need to ask if the Axe FX sounds good, I have heard some clips, even next too the Kemper, and I prefer the sound (plus noone here is going to say it's crap lol). My main questions are around the Axe FX as an interface, the editor, and how easy is it when used as a basic unit (so overdrive, amp, cab with delay) so nothing fancy.

I use Windows 10, I do not track any more than 1 person at a time, that person being me, and I need to record guitar, bass and vocals.

My soundcard questions are:
  1. How is the latency with Windows 10 in Cubase 10.5?
  2. Is anyone experiencing any issues with the Axe FX as a soundcard?
  3. Is the system only rated for projects at 44.1 @24bit?
  4. How is it for vocals using a dynamic Microphone?
  5. I use an SM7b which requires a lot of gain, does the Axe FX require a seperate preamp for microphones? No issue as I own a good vocal preamp?
  6. How does the Axe FX handle Reamping for guitars?
  7. Can you reamp in stereo via USB?
One thing that really interests me and stands out as a key feature is the ability to have a vocal chain, a guitar ampnand bass amp within the same patch due to the routing options...that's impressive.

In regard to the types of sound:
  1. I have heard the clean and more metal sounds, but how well does it recreate the tones of the JCM800 or the mid gain amps?

Regarding the editor:
  1. Is the editor stable? I am assuming so since the Axe has been out with an editor for many years.

It's quite an expense at £2500 but if it provides a stable interface too, and saves me buying an RME, then it's not much more than the Kemper.

Thank you for any information you can provide. They are in stock at G66 so I may try one but be good to know if any limitations beforehand.

Anyway take care

Mike

Hi guys

I've been considering an Axe FX3 for the past few weeks and I have a few questions but first......

I have been a long time digital amp/multi effects user, back from the Pod Bean days through all Line 6 (minus the Helix but had a few guitars), boss, Guitar Pro, and various others. I'm no stranger to the digital world.

Around 3 years ago I purchased a Kemper and sold my JVM 410h. I stuck with the Kemper as it did have a phenomenal amp like sound and worked great live. After 3 years I became disenfranchised with a few aspects of the Kemper.
  1. First of all the constant scrolling through profiles to only find I needed to purchase more was tedious.
  2. The lack of amp control beyond the profile was frustrating at times.
  3. I found I only ever played the JCM800ZW and the AFD100 profiles from Choptones and Deadlight.
  4. The Kemper was an extremely stable device in the first few year, but during the development phase of the computer editor Rig Manager become extremely unstable. The constant fixes and updates whilst pandering to the wants of a slew of new customers led to my Kemper becoming unstable.
  5. And lastly, as a gigging musicianPerformance Mode when editing started to lose setting and Rig Manager started to corrupt my profiles.
Please don't take this as moaning. I was not only gigging as a guitars/vocalist in a hard rock band, but I was the main writer so having these issues really cut into my creative time and meant it was time for a change.

Anyway, I purchased a JCM800, a Two Notes Reload and have been happy ever since.

So why am I hear....

Well I have been eyeing up a Revv G20, an SC20h and a few pedals. I would also like to replace my ageing Gen2 Focusrite 18i20.

Due to becoming obsessed with amps again, something the Kemper quelled, I am considering the Axe FX. This would replace my Focusrite and the Axe FX would work alongside my JCM800 for all the tones I feel I am missing or would like for layering.

I don't think I need to ask if the Axe FX sounds good, I have heard some clips, even next too the Kemper, and I prefer the sound (plus noone here is going to say it's crap lol). My main questions are around the Axe FX as an interface, the editor, and how easy is it when used as a basic unit (so overdrive, amp, cab with delay) so nothing fancy.

I use Windows 10, I do not track any more than 1 person at a time, that person being me, and I need to record guitar, bass and vocals.

My soundcard questions are:
  1. How is the latency with Windows 10 in Cubase 10.5?
  2. Is anyone experiencing any issues with the Axe FX as a soundcard?
  3. Is the system only rated for projects at 44.1 @24bit?
  4. How is it for vocals using a dynamic Microphone?
  5. I use an SM7b which requires a lot of gain, does the Axe FX require a seperate preamp for microphones? No issue as I own a good vocal preamp?
  6. How does the Axe FX handle Reamping for guitars?
  7. Can you reamp in stereo via USB?
One thing that really interests me and stands out as a key feature is the ability to have a vocal chain, a guitar ampnand bass amp within the same patch due to the routing options...that's impressive.

In regard to the types of sound:
  1. I have heard the clean and more metal sounds, but how well does it recreate the tones of the JCM800 or the mid gain amps?

Regarding the editor:
  1. Is the editor stable? I am assuming so since the Axe has been out with an editor for many years.

It's quite an expense at £2500 but if it provides a stable interface too, and saves me buying an RME, then it's not much more than the Kemper.

Thank you for any information you can provide. They are in stock at G66 so I may try one but be good to know if any limitations beforehand.

Anyway take care

Mike
1 once you own the AxeFX, you own every amp model. To date, there are no additional effects or amps (or anything) available for additional purchase (outside of IRs and a robust 3rd party market for them). There are many factory IRs to choose from.
2 many issues pop up on here using the fractal as an interface. I personally do not use it this way and many users do use it without issue as an interface. I think like anything else, configuration and knowing the limitations of the unit are key.
3 The Fractal is 48k
4 There is no built in mic pre for a mic
5 yes you will need a separate mic pre
6 Excellent for reamping. I don't do it much but I do it entirely spdif when I have done it in the past. No issues.
7. Not sure.

Further points:
Does a fair JCM 800 no problem. Not my personal favorite so naturally I breeze past the model.
The Editor and the hardware itself is extremely stable. I haven't had a single crash in 2+ years

Edit: as far as using for a vocal chain, I do have a desktop pre set up for my slate mic and go thru the Fractal this way. Ive never had an issue doing this. Works as it should. The Fractal saved my ass because I was out of I/O on my Apollo X8 so I go mic pre into the Fractal and spdif over to my interface.

Edited edit of my edit: There is a HUGE advantage to owning a modeler over a profiler. With the model, you essentially own a digital recreation of that amp circuit. A profile is a minuscule slice of that sound with those mics set on that cabinet in that room etc etc etc. You'd need a million profiles to scroll thru equal to owning the model.

Final edit I promise: So in short, 2500 bucks is a cost, sure. In my case, I'd have paid for a Mesa JP2C around the same money. When I compared the amp to the model, I now no longer want to own a JP2C because Im confident I have that sound here. Many of us own and still love amps, pedals etc but with the Fractal, there is seldom reason to purchase another anymore.

Last edited:
@Bruce Sokolovic

Thank you for the replies bud.

One of the reasons I never asked about the effects on the Axe is it's well documented that they are right up there with the best on the market.

IRs, like amps, is a rabbit hole but I have a good collection of Ownhammer ones if needed. I only ever opt for V30s in various cabs plus some GT75s (I know some people hate them but I am a fan)

I am happy with my Neve clone so no issues with using a preamp, just good to know so thank you.

Editor not crashed in 2 years, damn that's good, the Kemper Performance Editor crashed every few minutes.

You lose some points for not being a JCM800 fan :angry: j/k

Thank you for the information, really helpful.

Mike

@Bruce Sokolovic

Thank you for the replies bud.

One of the reasons I never asked about the effects on the Axe is it's well documented that they are right up there with the best on the market.

IRs, like amps, is a rabbit hole but I have a good collection of Ownhammer ones if needed. I only ever opt for V30s in various cabs plus some GT75s (I know some people hate them but I am a fan)

I am happy with my Neve clone so no issues with using a preamp, just good to know so thank you.

Editor not crashed in 2 years, damn that's good, the Kemper Performance Editor crashed every few minutes.

You lose some points for not being a JCM800 fan :angry: j/k

Thank you for the information, really helpful.

Mike
My pleasure. As far as the editor, I think its definitely one of the AxeFXIII strong points. I really haven't seen many "god the editor is awful" posts at all and if it is crashing on folks its most definitely a host CPU issue, not the editor design for sure. Even on my 9 year old MacBook Pro which is bogged down with all sorts of garbage it runs fine.

JCM800 is kind of like an old 80s chevy.

Old 80s Chevy: terribly underpowered but if you do Cam, lifters and a nice open carb and throw away that archaic pollution pump you have yourself a nice motor.

JCM800: Decent platform for pedals, but that just means the amp itself doesn't sound very good lol. I do realize I'll be drawn and quartered for this hahahaha.

Leon Todd did a very eye opening shootout of the 800 vs a common DSL on youtube. Check it out if you haven't already and DEFINITELY check out his AXEFXIII videos, the man is quite a wealth of knowledge and has a great channel. He goes in pretty deep on the merits of the Fractal ecosystem.

Note: The axefxIII is ONLY 48k. If you are using another sample rate, make sure there are no issues with your DAW doing real time conversion.

I can respond only for the JCM 800 bit. The only amp that I've really stuck to has been the 2204. All the others come and go, and I got the Fractal to scratch that itch for when I'm sick of the 2204 for a bit.

The Brit 800 sim sounds really good, and responds right to the SD1 and RAT and PEQ boosting that I'm used to. In fact I'm really frustrated trying to dial in other amps (everything else seems so boomy/woofy), but I'm still using the thing because the Brit 800 and all the FXs sound so great.

once you own the AxeFX, you own every amp model. To date, there are no additional effects or amps (or anything) available for additional purchase
This is what finally tipped me over the line to Fractal when I was choosing between the AxeFX and the Kemper. Initially I wanted the Kemper because I didn't want to get stuck in "tweaking hell", but I realized two things:

1. I didn't want to be nickel and dimed to death if I couldn't find a profile that was what wanted
  2. I wanted to be able to fix a tone if it was "almost" there but just not quite.
With the AxeFX, I have both of those. I build my own presets from scratch, and I can tailor the tone to be exactly what I want. And it's nice knowing that every other AxeFX user has the exact same tools available as I do (barring custom IRs of course).

This is what finally tipped me over the line to Fractal when I was choosing between the AxeFX and the Kemper. Initially I wanted the Kemper because I didn't want to get stuck in "tweaking hell", but I realized two things:

1. I didn't want to be nickel and dimed to death if I couldn't find a profile that was what wanted
  2. I wanted to be able to fix a tone if it was "almost" there but just not quite.
With the AxeFX, I have both of those. I build my own presets from scratch, and I can tailor the tone to be exactly what I want. And it's nice knowing that every other AxeFX user has the exact same tools available as I do (barring custom IRs of course).
I think the authentic tab was sorely needed and fixed a lot of frustration for those of us who just want to plug in, dial in a quick tone and play. The original amp tab (now labeled ideal) was a tweakers paradise.

I used the Kemper for exactly two weeks in performance, right before Covid struck. The amp sounds were great, but I found Performance Mode to be way too limiting, and the FX were marginal. The PC editor was just being released at the time, so I got very little time with it....but I had a number of lock-ups and crashes. So, I went back to my Bogner.

I bought the Axe-FX III about 6 weeks ago. The PC editor is GREAT. I have had exactly one very minor issue, and Fractal tech support solved the problem with a remote login in a matter of minutes.

I am having some trouble duplicating my Torpedo IRs, but otherwise all I can say is that this things sounds great and the PC editor is extremely intuitive. It's complex, because the AFX does a lot, but it's about as easy to use as it could possibly be.

I'm going to be honest, being someone who has always used amps all his playing days, this is the first modeller that has made me give up wanting to have an amp anymore. I've had my III for several years now and it has been reliable, amazing sounding and easy to use. I sold off my last 2 amps and cabs last year in the fall and I really have not budged on getting a new amp. There is no void to fill. I love using the thing so much I bought an FM3 as well.

I also like carrying a lot less weight around with me and a lot easier setup to manage both at rehearsals and live. The fact that they are always trying to improve it regularly is something that is also very important. I consider this one of the wisest gear purchases I have ever made.

I used the Kemper for exactly two weeks in performance, right before Covid struck. The amp sounds were great, but I found Performance Mode to be way too limiting, and the FX were marginal. The PC editor was just being released at the time, so I got very little time with it....but I had a number of lock-ups and crashes. So, I went back to my Bogner.

I bought the Axe-FX III about 6 weeks ago. The PC editor is GREAT. I have had exactly one very minor issue, and Fractal tech support solved the problem with a remote login in a matter of minutes.

I am having some trouble duplicating my Torpedo IRs, but otherwise all I can say is that this things sounds great and the PC editor is extremely intuitive. It's complex, because the AFX does a lot, but it's about as easy to use as it could possibly be.
I use WOS sometimes. Nothing wrong with that. Just a different workflow.

Welcome, Mike —
Fractal gear, in general, is rock-solid and as a former touring pro I don’t say that lightly. Most pro-grade tour rigs have two AFX’s (some still II’s, some now III’s) so they have a “switchover spare”, but the RigMeisters In Charge always claim they’ve not once needed the spare. Ditto for the editor. In short: these FractalFolk are dead-serious about their products in every way — and it shows. “Ne plus ultra.”

I’ve heard their service/support is top-notch but personally I wouldn’t know — never ever needed them. You will also not find a more friendly, dedicated and talented User Group anywhere — as long as you don’t post about improving the front-panel ergonomics 😁

Cheers,
Bruce

Afternoon Gents

Thank you all for your responses, I am extremely tempted to try one out for size and I think @cardinal hit it on the head in the way I am looking at the device, its for times the JCM800 is not quite doing it. I personally don't use any effects outside of a boost, but again with the Axe it would cover that territory without me having to go on Amazon and order a new pedal. It kind of replaces my soundcard, effects spend, and amp GASSING in one device.

Funny enough I just trialled the Helix Native product, mainly to try the REVV patches that are being raved about, they sounded good, the rest no so much.

@Bruce Sokolovic

The editor does seem to be stable, I found nothing at all in regard to issues when Googling the Axe FX 3, not even sure I seen anything historic to be honest.

Bah, you heathen, how can you knock the JCM800 with a straight face :) Each to there own, I think on its own it sounds too flimsy, but a DS in front and this thing roars.

In regard to Leon's videos, I watched a host of them, especially his one with a year then 2 yearly update, I also like his style of playing. I have not seen the DSL one you refer too, but I have seen his JCM800 with everything on 10 video....bloody lunatic. I will check more of his AxeFX ones out.

@markyd Thank you for confirming. To be honest I only record alone so I work on my own projects only so I don't have a need for anything higher as I am not even daisy chaining devices, its just good to know if I bought any other digital gear or I wanted to use the SPDIF out with my soundcard, I would have a limitation.

@cardinal Same here, I turned it on, played a chord and then sold my Kemper an JVM410h. Everything I have owned after has paled in comparison to the grit and bite this amp produces. I get your 'boomy\woofy' statement, I had the same issue recreating the JCM800 sound on the Kemper.

@grandinq Superb, glad to know its compatible. Out of interest, what Buffer settings are you using and what is your overall latency?

@rossipedia Man I hear you load and clear. I moved from Line6 for that reason, too much tweaking. Then went back to digital and opted for the Kemper over the Axe due to the Axe having too many options to distract me (I don't need anymore distractions). The Kemper sounds great but I felt the same as you. beyond a minor tweak of a very good patch, I was at the hands of the profiler for the sound or at the mercy of my wallet hunting good profiles. At that point I started to miss the tweaking.

The other thing that made the process difficult is there is no defined way to take a profile, this meant the quality, tonality and overall volumes where extremely random due to profilers having different gear and rooms to profile in. I will say, Choptones and Deadlight make some fantastic profiles though; I am sure Choptones does Axe models too.......don't quote me on that.

@Bruce Sokolovic Time to Google "Authentic Tab"

@FullThrottle64 Man it only got worse for me. I didn't find Performance mode limited as I was about to have 5 patches across the board for each song. The issue was Rig Manager was so bad it would crash, or not save the preset, or even worse just lose connection to the Kemper yet not notify you so you spend an hour tailoring your sound to find nothing has changed on the Kemper! I don't want to come across as hating the Kemper, it does sound great but it was developed into the ground for me due to rushing features.

@PBGas How do you find the sound in regard to its upfrontness (not even sure that's a word) when recorded. For example I just tried the Helix Native app, when playing any of the presets the sound almost feels distant, like some form of reverb has been introduced. I switched to my tube amp and it was right at the front of the song, in your face but not when flipping patches on the Helix.

I am asking but I did not check the IR used so unsure if it was close miced or had a lot of room ambience.

@touch33 Thank you for some comfort as shelling out two grand on a device, the support best be top notch. I hope I can say this without annoying anyone, but I have heard this forum is "protective" let's just say, about its investment in the Axe products........now about that front panel :)

Thank you all, a little more research to go and I may be joining this side for good :) I feel at this point I probably just need to try one.

Mike

To me it sounds like the FM3 would be more than enough for your needs. The Axe-Fx 3 to me is for folks who want to run very complicated fx chain setups or just want the rack format. Quite overkill for most.

Also nothing wrong with your 2nd gen Focusrite. I use the 2nd gen Scarlett 6i6 and it's fine. I prefer having a separate audio interface because it has the mic pres, better control over input and output levels (physical knobs) and can be just left running all day and is not expensive to replace if it happens to fail. You can hook up an Axe-Fx 3 or FM3 to it via SPDIF or just swap audio interfaces and use them over USB.

A really grat thing G66 provides is, u can test ur unit for 30 days. If u don't like it, send it back and get ur money! So there is no big risk I think! Try it out, but probably u will love the unit! Don't say I didn't warn u 😜!!!

I sold my '83 JCM800 2203 after leaving my touring band. I picked up the iii shortly after and no, I dont miss the 2203. It sounded great and at no point have I plugged into the axe fx and thought "this is a downgrade".

Hi all

@laxu to be honest it is not a bad interface, but the headphone output is dreadful. I think I turn the volume about half way before it wakes up.

I have looked at the FM3 but not closely enough. The SPDIF will only allow reamp in mono if you are playing and listening live so to speak, so...
1 output Di signal - computer
1 input Di singla - Axe
1 output Axe wet - computer

This is why I have always use it the cables way, just thought the 8x8 aspect of the Axe would allow we to reamp into dual amps, even quad I guess, but that's moronic lol.

I know about phasing issues, but my DAW can deal with that. I also imagine without the AD/DA convertion it would have less latency

@Zurichaxe I emailed G66 last week regarding the charges over Brexit. I actually felt sorry for them when they replied and said how the charges are applied.

I think I won't know until I try it. I listened to Leon on YouTube marching a Dual Rec and it was so damn close, or should I say take was impressive in its own way

@Budda I think I will miss it if I sold it but to be honest, in a recording you probably can't tell anyway, it's about the feel with that amp. I played today and it just sounds amazing, but I wanted a certain sound for a lead part and I just couldn't get it, then though "the sound I need is a Mesa" hence my YouTube search mentioned about

It will scratch the it's and possible complete surgery on my Gas wound.....until Axe FX4 comes out haha

The voice in my head says "shut up and order one"....

Mike

Back
Top Bottom