FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

This is probably a dumb question but the "input boost" part of the amp block is not affected by this beta update, right? (My understanding is that these are less like drive pedals and more like an eq shape to hit the front end of the virtual preamp.)

Has anyone compared a new drive in the front (ts 808) vs. a ts 808 input boost in the amp block?

Attack knob is inverted.

On the physical pedal, it tightens up the more you turn it clockwise - on the FM3 it operates in reverse. Higher values = less attack/more gain.
I felt something different when trying it, I don't remember exactly how was my PD but I knew something was off. Thanks for throwing some light 🤓

Af3 would become an expensive head crusher (my head).

She hates everything guitar related, including me. :tearsofjoy:
Does FAS supply lawyer updates...Yek done that list yet?? Not to rub salt in the wound but my non-gearhead wife said, "If you can get the B-stock FC-6 then you could do that OMG9 thingy Cooper and Leon are always talking about, couldn't you?" A tear ran down my cheek....

Does FAS supply lawyer updates...Yek done that list yet?? Not to rub salt in the wound but my non-gearhead wife said, "If you can get the B-stock FC-6 then you could do that OMG9 thingy Cooper and Leon are always talking about, couldn't you?" A tear ran down my cheek....
Wow, congratulations!

Best wife in the world... love and respect her, she deserves this and a Fractal T-Shirt too. :)

Never, ever, reboot her.

Mine says crazy things like... "Well, if you like it, get it! Life's too short." knowing that I'll agonize over it trying to decide if whatever it is will actually be a worthwhile investment.

For those of you who have downloaded this, does Ultrares make a real difference? I’m asking because I watched Pete Thorn’s video about IRs and it basically concluded that anything over about 20ms is a waste because you’re really just hearing room reflections that you could get with a reverb. What do you think?

Holding off til we get the official update, but hot damn I cannot wait to try the new drives!
It's usually a good idea to wait for a couple beta revisions to pass, unless you're really familiar with digging your way out of a hole. After all, beta versions are all about getting additional eyes out there finding bugs and sometimes there are mean bugs lurking around a particular corner that you've been playing in.

Last edited:
For those of you who have downloaded this, does Ultrares make a real difference? I’m asking because I watched Pete Thorn’s video about IRs and it basically concluded that anything over about 20ms is a waste because you’re really just hearing room reflections that you could get with a reverb. What do you think?
It makes a big difference in sound quality in my opinion.

In my experience, it makes a difference when the preset allows you to hear the reflections. I notice them when I'm on a clean preset or scene, and then the guitar sounds more open and there's an airiness.

Will reverb simulate it? Well, not from what I hear. The reverb sounds good but UltraRes adds its own character that reverb doesn't. It's kind of like adding umami to flavor, it's just more delicious.

It's usually a good idea to wait for a couple beta revisions to pass, unless you're really familiar with digging your way out of a hole. After all, beta versions are all about getting additional eyes out there finding bugs and sometimes there are mean bugs lurking around a particular corner that you've been playing in.
Indeed

It sounds a bit more full and detailed but it’s fairly subtle. Having said that I don’t want to go back to standard now!

I agree with other replies, for me on 90% of the sounds/IRs - it makes a considerable difference, the top end opens out and sounds much less harsh. Previously I was running the pre-amp shelf in the cap block around 6-7k (normally near the lower end). I've now opened that up completely to 20k and set the low cut to a 6db slope.

On one or two I haven't noticed a drastic difference but the vast majority - amazing, including JCM 800 type sounds

Previously I was running the pre-amp shelf in the cap block around 6-7k (normally near the lower end). I've now opened that up completely to 20k and set the low cut to a 6db slope.
I suspect that's why some people can't hear any difference; They might automatically set a high-cut filter of some sort, and that really high range is where I'm hearing UltraRes make a difference.

I was just playing around with some of the factory ambient-type presets, and when you switch the cab to UltraRes the "room" suddenly opens up.

to me it was the missing link as to why AXE3 videos and FM3 videos sounded slightly different
it is about as noticeable as the selectable impedance curves IMO
YMMV

I suspect that's why some people can't hear any difference; They might automatically set a high-cut filter of some sort, and that really high range is where I'm hearing UltraRes make a difference.

I was just playing around with some of the factory ambient-type presets, and when you switch the cab to UltraRes the "room" suddenly opens up.
Interesting -- Yes, I hi-cut down from 20,000 to c. 8,000. I'll try it at 20,000

I hit a chord and turned it on and off while the chord was ringing. The answer is: "Yes"

Back
Top Bottom