FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

On the AF3 white and pink noise use more CPU than the simpler waveforms. Sine seems to use the least CPU while pink noise uses the most (about 5% more). My guess is to generate a bunch of random frequencies/phases present in noise takes a bit of CPU.

Turning off tracking doesn't seem to change the CPU much (if any) though on any of the synth types.
I see. Thank you for checking. It’s possible that the change to Pink noise raised the CPU off limits and made the unit unresponsible. Had no clue it’s such a CPU hog. Maybe my unit was already locked up when I tried to mess with the Track parameter because there was no sound coming out no matter which Type I chose. I’ll try to recreate the lockup tomorrow and see if there is anything suspicious.

Aside from the precision drive attack knob working the opposite way compared to the real deal (on the fm3 lower value means more attack) and my scribblestrips permanently all being stuck on saying Bassguy 59 - lovely beta!!!

No issues my end. Combo of ultra res and drive block algorythm sound fantastic. Great work FAS team. Ultrares does eat cpu though which i personally compensate by going lower to economy status in the reverb block and/or decrease order number in The Phaser block.

The color represents the format they were saved into the fm3/axe the moment you loaded them via manage-cabs. You can choose the format there.
Anyway if it's a 1024 samples IR the format won't matter for the sonic result, the extra samples will be just silence and you'd just be wasting CPU using ultrares

Ahhhh but the strange thing here is that all three IR's were created and the .wavs loaded all at the same time during the same session a couple of months back.

I ensured that there was no additional processing and didn't use CabLab (which I'm pretty sure you need to create an UltraRes IR from a suitable .wav file; you cannot create an UltraRes IR in FM3-Edit AFAIK). One IR showed normal/purple text and the other two showed italic/green text in FM3-Edit after loading 3.03 beta which I thought odd even after a refresh....I just thought I'd report it.

Changing the mode from "Standard" to "UltraRes" doesn't affect any of them tonally as expected; I do see a 5% -> 6% rise in CPU selecting "UltraRes" which is also expected.

A bit of weirdness. I upgraded FM3, then applied the update. The middle switch on the FM3 got the ole "--". So I re-did the update, and it sorted itself out. But now when I go to manage cabs I only see the User bank. The stock cabs are still there and in their presets, but just not showing up for me to be able to view.

A bit of weirdness. I upgraded FM3, then applied the update. The middle switch on the FM3 got the ole "--". So I re-did the update, and it sorted itself out. But now when I go to manage cabs I only see the User bank. The stock cabs are still there and in their presets, but just not showing up for me to be able to view.
Did you update FM3 edit too?

Sorry if it has been said already, but can someone list the new drive models? Also is the update of drives just for new models or do all of them get an update in tone/accuracy or modelling?

Just downloaded and my FM3 is locked up on the Fractal circles and no scribbles or or leds lit. Won't do anything.

How do you like it ?
can you hear the Ur difference now in the York Audio cabs
its most apparent to me in the mix files
Hey Randall, I have only tested using cans......no chance to rail up the ASM12 yet......but my Friedman patch with York it’s sounds great ! In U Res. Can’t wait for Cyg now ;)

Bricked ? Did power flicker or anything weird on the load ?
Not that I noticed, I hope I didn't pull a bonehead move and forget to look at the FM3 screen for the download complete message. I've never made that mistake before but to be honest, I don't remember looking at the unit because I've done it so much I don't even think about it anymore.

The Ultra-Res difference is noticeable through my DT1990 Pro headphones, but it's completely badass going through my Friedman ASM12!! I've only tried it on 3 clean and 3 dirty patches from the AustinBuddy LiveGold pack so far, but I'm really loving it!!

Last edited:
@REDD

Sorry you're stuck but I think I can help! The FM3 has a built-in recovery system known as the “Emergency Boot Loader” to protect against mishaps during firmware update. To boot from the emergency boot loader:

1. Power down the unit and wait five seconds.
2. Power on holding both PAGE LEFT and PAGE RIGHT buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears.
3. Update as normal using Fractal-Bot.

If that DOESN'T work, email me at support@fractalaudio.com

Back
Top Bottom