NEW Strat Weirdness?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So, I have been playing Fender Strats for about 4 decades. I have ALWAYS decked the bridge. I have a new Ultra Strat, mainly because i wanted one :) Well
and a rosewood fingerboard, which I didn't have on any.
All my strats (except the new one) have 5 springs. Just the way I did things.
The Ultra, of course, came with 3 springs. So I added 2. Here is the issue:
UNPLUGGED when playing over the pickups their is a terrible metallic like sound-really s**ks. None of my other strats do this. So I took the 2 springs I added OFF and the metallic sound went away? I know leave them off, I get it. But then to deck the Strat I have to really tighten the claw screws. Much more than all my other strats. Hence, why I like 5 springs. I have zillions of sets of springs. Tried many different ones. The only thing I have NOT done is to change all 5 of the springs? Any ideas what the issue would be? It is an Ultraburst purchased at Sweetwater. Alder body, same as my other strats.
Main point is, this most definitely MUST be affecting the plugged in sound also. Hard to tell right now because I am not use to noiseless pickups.
Hope this is making sense.
Thanks

Buy some foam window screen spline. Cut it to the length of the spring and put it inside the spring. It will keep them from vibrating and dampen any sound they make.

Like this.

That is a nice idea. But that is NOT the metallic sound I am hearing. I will try to record the sound and upload it tomorrow. As stated it is NOT there with only 3 original springs. Maybe they do need to be the same or similar tension. I have no idea what springs Fender threw on here. I would have to believe they are just generic springs. Guess I also need to change all 5 springs and test it. I will tomorrow. I have sets that came from Fender still sealed in their fender packaging.
Thanks very much for the video. That is defitely a cool idea. Just not my issue.

I put a small piece of clear tubing inside my springs. I only have 3 springs on all my strats.
I totally agree when playing some strats acoustically, it sounds like a spring factory!
Not musical, not pleasing to the ear.

So I put 5 new springs on. Supposedly a matched set from fender. Seems better......Thanks for all the ideas'! :)

Holy crap, my Schecter has always had a weird high pitched echo ringing out when I mute the strings and I never knew what it was. (To be fair I didn't try very hard.) Gonna try this and report back, thanks folks

Back
Top Bottom