Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if it's related to the latest beta, or the latest Axe Edit, but my saved library of blocks has been murdered. It's recalling all sorts of different parameter values.

Yeah, I've been seeing that for a while, maybe even in 15. Usually in the lower left. Probably innocuous but could be a sign of something off in the graphics code.
Based on the fact that this never occurred for me until Beta 11, and still occurs when I go back to Beta 10 - I'd say it's a bug - most likely a minor one but one nonetheless.

I just did a real simple preset from the Axe itself - did it twice to just confirm that it wasn't related to any certain rows. Here's a couple vids for more info. The 2nd block on each row goes on when the cables are connected.

While resetting amp blocks and getting back to a baseline for some of my favourites, I got to the JC120 model. I know it's not a tube amp, but I love the model, and do use it occasionally. Whether in "authentic" or "ideal", although there is no Master Volume in "authentic", resetting the channel sets the Master Volume to 5 instead of 10. I had a slightly confused few minutes while I worked through each amp page in Axe Edit, reverting to my original preset, and then soft resetting to try and figure out where all the volume had gone. That was where it had gone. I know what to do to get back, but it might save some head scratching for a few others. I think the model might need checking too, it doesn't seem quite as clean as it used to, but it may just be me.
Yeah, it's not new... It is confusing, but it's been that way a long time ;)

I'm constantly fiddling with the envelope controller settings. What feels good seems to vary with the wind. But roughly they stay in this range:

View attachment 81095

I recommend mapping the four left most controllers to peformance controllers on the III so you can fiddle with the envelope settings quickly, while playing. Like this:

View attachment 81096

With my PRS it sounds like this:

Thanks for the settings, and keeping them on the Performance panel makes a lot of sense. Jerry would twiddle a lot with the Mu-Tron looking for what was exactly right in the moment.

I download it form the first post but then takes me to screen asking me which application to use, it is a MAC.
You need to assign an application for that extension. Neither Windows, Mac OS or Linux will automatically know which application is supposed to open it.

After owning ax8 for years, a week ago, I received my axe3 mk2.
I have been checking fw 15.01 quite extensively.
I was totally amazed by how this fw sounds compared to ax8 10.01.

Yesterday, I had finally a bit of time for myself, so I wanted to check at least a dozen of my favourite amp models in ax3 running on cygnus beta fw.

In the end, I tried only 2 models for straight 3 hours :D - cameron ccv and herbie - two of my absolutely favourites for higher gain stuff.

I must say I am beyond impressed - these 2 amp models punches so hard, that I was double checking, if output of ax3 goes into my tiny "Marley frfr" speaker as seen on a pic.

The note bloom, feel and low end is just amazing.
Side effect of that is that I had to add more treble/presence than before - no complains though.

Then I plugged ax3 into Fryette PS-2 and orange 2x12.
What the F... ????????? :eek:
This Cygnus goodness is much, much more noticable when using tube power amp !
It´s the best sound I ever had (I used to own tons of friedman amps, diezels, fortin, mesa boogies, etc.).

Then of course, I wanted to compare cygnus friedman models to my real Friedman JJ 100 with deluxe mod (as seen on a pic).

Here I feel like the friedman models has some mistake in this beta, as they sounded much closer and better in fw 15.01. to the real amp.
Needed to say, I know how friedman amp works and how to dial them in.
No amount of tweaking in cygnus could help me, no preamp low cut, no negative feedback settings.

I was not able to try more models, so Camerons and Diezels are outstanding, but friedmans I am not impressed at the moment.

ALL things considered, this Cygnus fw is like buying again new ax3 after owning it for a week. :relieved:

Edit : pic added

Edit : I also found that the amp level now vary a lot.
for example : CCV models 1B loud, 2A normal level, 2C very quiet, 2D very quiet... they used to be equal volume wise.

Attachments

• 4F64C22D-B140-4D11-9245-C6CE9A959E33.jpeg
    4F64C22D-B140-4D11-9245-C6CE9A959E33.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I watched a nice video on the Fender Bassman on youtube and was like "Well that actually crunches super nicely with more volume"

So I switched on the axe, loaded up a chain with the 59er Bassman, the original speakers but even after cranking all the dials to 11 it wasn't as growly.

Is there something I am not grasping correctly?

I watched a nice video on the Fender Bassman on youtube and was like "Well that actually crunches super nicely with more volume"

So I switched on the axe, loaded up a chain with the 59er Bassman, the original speakers but even after cranking all the dials to 11 it wasn't as growly.

We can’t tell what you did based on your description. Post the preset. What type of guitar pickups?

Look at the factory presets that use the bassman amps.

Got the link to the video ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom