Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

Btw, my Elis.8 didn’t arrive with a manual. Are you guys using +4dbv or -10dbv output setting on the fxiii?

Last edited:
Some people asking, what the differnce between the Elis 8 and Mf 10 are.
Since I have both I did a comparission between them yesterday.
I also contacted Mirko from Red Sound because he want to know what I do think about them.

(I have to say that Mirko is absoloutely kind and he always want to improve his products, so he is happy for every review and/or cristism that he get's)

Ok, I did a chat with Mirko and he agreed with my comparision between these two speakers.
Let's go!

The First thing that I have noticed and which is absolutely great, is that I dont have to tweak my presets when I use the Elis8 or MF10.
They sound so identical that it's not nesessary to do adjustments.
Of course the MF10 has a 10 inch speaker and that make them a bit wider sounding than the Elis8.
The Elis8 are slightly more upper mids pronounced which comes from the smaller 8 inch speaker.
These are (for me) the main differencies in sound between these two.
Mirko told me, that it was his take on two portable and lightweight FRFR Speakers that sounding almost identical but can used for smaller or bigger venues etc.
I also noticed, that both of them start to bloom up on higher volumes but without beeing fizzy etc.

Cheers
Sash

I also contacted Mirko from Red Sound because he want to know what I do think about them.

(I have to say that Mirko is absoloutely kind and he always want to improve his products, so he is happy for every review and/or cristism that he get's)

Ok, I did a chat with Mirko and he agreed with my comparision between these two speakers.
Let's go!

The First thing that I have noticed and which is absolutely great, is that I dont have to tweak my presets when I use the Elis8 or MF10.
Of course the MF10 has a 10 inch speaker and that make them a bit wider sounding than the Elis8.
The Elis8 are slightly more upper mids pronounced which comes from the smaller 8 inch speaker.
Mirko told me, that it was his take on two portable and lightweight FRFR Speakers that sounding almost identical but can used for smaller or bigger venues etc.
I also noticed, that both of them start to bloom up on higher volumes but without beeing fizzy etc.

Cheers
Sash
I second that too, no fizziness at all when turning up the volume. In fact they both sound way better cranked up at 8 on the volume control at the back. Which is the recommend setting anyway. No tweaking needed between presets on both the FM3 and the Axe III for me as well.

Could anyone of you guys who has them both be able to make a sound clip recording with the 8” and the 10” - clean / Vox or Blackface etc
Or maybe I should contact redsound in Italy
I assume they must have the axe3?
Or has it been done already by someone
- please link.

Let's go!

Cheers
Sash
Thanks for the review Sashman!
I'm still deciding on which one to choose. I think the Elis8 stereo bundle suits me better for compactness.

How do you set this up live?
I have a FM3, both XLR's (left and right) go into the active speaker of the Elis8 or MF10 and from there to the passive speaker. How do you connect it to FOH? Do you have an extra XLR splitter box for that?

I'm still deciding on which one to choose. I think the Elis8 stereo bundle suits me better for compactness.

I have a FM3, both XLR's (left and right) go into the active speaker of the Elis8 or MF10 and from there to the passive speaker. How do you connect it to FOH? Do you have an extra XLR splitter box for that?
I use Out 1 to FOH and then Out 2 to the Red Sounds. You’d need 1/4” to XLR cables from the FM3 Out 2 L & R but on my Temple board I had a couple of XLR to 1/4” tails made so they mount into the side of the board. I can then use XLR to XLR cables from the board to the Red Sounds.

Last edited:

like Paulg2uk already wrote.
I use out 1 or 2 for FOH and the other one for FRFR.
I have used both in Band rehearsal (which is equal to live because we are playing really loud) and bothb Elis8 and MF10 are do a flawless job.
It's just what I wrote in y review both are sounding very similar. Yes the MF 10 have more power but it's up to you if you need that much power.
In rehearsals I usualy have the volume on the Speaker on 8 (like you should) and on the Axe on maybe 12 o'clock which is really loud and it's already just on half. The Elis 8 and Mf 10 have a serious amount of punch.
Cheers
Sash

The Elis 8 and Mf 10 have a serious amount of punch.
I like that at volume the ELIS.8 doesn’t get boomy or have too much treble. It was only what I wanted to hear, the guitar frequency range, and was nice and clear.

I can’t imagine needing more volume, but if I did I’d get a pair of the MF10 without looking at anything else.

Last edited:
Yes the MF 10 have more power but it's up to you if you need that much power.
In rehearsals I usualy have the volume on the Speaker on 8 (like you should) and on the Axe on maybe 12 o'clock which is really loud and it's already just on half.
So - without changing anything in the output volume settings (12 o'clock) on the AxeFX and having the Elis.8 and MF10 amps input vols at the recommended 8 - theoretically the MF10s should have been perceived as the 'louder' of the 2 .... was that not the case? Or did you maybe use less output volume on the AxeFX for the MF10s?

Can I ask what is the makeup of instruments and monitoring in your band?

I like that you say it was a 'really loud' rehearsal room session because some gigs require a bit more backline volume than others. A rehearsal room is usually sound deadened in some way or with a drumkit in there the overall sound is all confined and concentrated as I would explain it, so it is somrtimes a good testing place. Once out in a bigger and more reflective space like a venue room less volume usually does it ... but nice to know there's something on tap if needed.

Would you say there's a sweet spot in the speakers/volume combination? From my experience with any type of speaker and cab there's a volume point where they start to sound best (or 'even out') and even a fairly hefty volume increase over that does not change the overall tone much.

I know it's hard to explain a speaker sound and I'm like a 5 year old tugging your leg asking questions - everyone's different in what they like to hear (or not hear).

I have to say in the few FRFR cabs I've tried out (all have had passive crossovers) I've never had a particularly ice-pick experience as volume increased as the HF drivers haven't been perhaps overly efficient - I however got less than pleasing mushiness from the extended range woofers ... like turning them up wasn't really doing anything to the frequencies I wanted to hear more if that makes sense?

So - without changing anything in the output volume settings (12 o'clock) on the AxeFX and having the Elis.8 and MF10 amps input vols at the recommended 8 - theoretically the MF10s should have been perceived as the 'louder' of the 2 .... was that not the case? Or did you maybe use less output volume on the AxeFX for the MF10s?#
Sorry I can't remember exactly if I had both speakers on the same level, i always dial them in per ear.
Can I ask what is the makeup of instruments and monitoring in your band?
The other Guitarist plays a Orange Rockverb 100 with a matching 4x12 cab.
There is of course drums and bass too (can't say what our bassman is using)
I like that you say it was a 'really loud' rehearsal room session because some gigs require a bit more backline volume than others. A rehearsal room is usually sound deadened in some way or with a drumkit in there the overall sound is all confined and concentrated as I would explain it, so it is somrtimes a good testing place. Once out in a bigger and more reflective space like a venue room less volume usually does it ... but nice to know there's something on tap if needed.
Exactly! If it comes to size I would compare our room with a small club etc.
Would you say there's a sweet spot in the speakers/volume combination? From my experience with any type of speaker and cab there's a volume point where they start to sound best (or 'even out') and even a fairly hefty volume increase over that does not change the overall tone much.
I would say that they start to bloom up at quarter volume (Axe Fx out)
I know it's hard to explain a speaker sound and I'm like a 5 year old tugging your leg asking questions - everyone's different in what they like to hear (or not hear).

I have to say in the few FRFR cabs I've tried out (all have had passive crossovers) I've never had a particularly ice-pick experience as volume increased as the HF drivers haven't been perhaps overly efficient - I however got less than pleasing mushiness from the extended range woofers ... like turning them up wasn't really doing anything to the frequencies I wanted to hear more if that makes sense?
The are extremly clear and crisp sounding without any ice picky or spiky highs. Tight bass without getting mushy etc.
What I described above, I always ent back to amp and cab since the Axe I. The Red Sound are the first FRFR that really convinced me.
I'm doing studio work for more than 25 years (but that does not mean that I'm good🤣)

Please excuse I'm trying to describe it at my best but english is not my native language (but I try to improve myself regulary)

Cheers
Sash

Curious about the quality level of cables you all are using. Trying to decide how much to spend on xlr to xlr type to connect fx3 to the Elis.8. Somewhere in the 10 to 15 ft. length.

btw, sash, your English ist sehr gut.

Curious about the quality level of cables you all are using. Trying to decide how much to spend on xlr to xlr type to connect fx3 to the Elis.8. Somewhere in the 10 to 15 ft. length.

btw, sash, your English ist sehr gut.
I’m using Van Damme cable with Neutrix ends at the moment.They are only 3m cables but I do need some longer ones which I’m looking into getting.

Only because my Axe is on one side of the room hooked up to my studio monitors, mixer and the Elis 8’s and my FM3 is on the other side of my room hooked up to the MF10’s.

Sometimes I wanna use the Axe with the MF10’s and vice versa. I was gonna get some 10m cables made up but I’m open to suggestions on what you guys are using?

I am using 2 powered Matrix Q12a since about 10 years now.
Has anyone of you experiance with the Q12a and the Elis 8/MF10? Are there huge differences?

I sent an ELIS.8 Stereo Bundle request on Feb 21. I sent Sussi an email today just checking how things are going. I mentioned I'm in the states. She forwarded my email to Mirko, so I'm likely starting from the end of the line. :( My fault for not sending the request to the right place to begin with I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom