Using Axe fx 3 presets for fm3

My name is mud

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi !
i have the axe 3.
but I want more infos about the preset compatibility if one day I want a traveling rig.

what is the best way to do presets that works exactly the same for both units?

Did we have a comparative board for each units showing the missing features of fm3?

what happen if someone load a dual amp preset, a 4 Ir preset, or a precision drive preset for example in his fm3? No sound at all?

did the fm3 automatically convert axe 3 presets ?

if you own both don’t hesitate to share your experience . Thank you

I use the Axe Fx III at a home studio, and the FM3 for rehearsals, live etc. Since I keep my FM3 at a rehearsal space the whole time, often times I find myself tweaking my FM3 presets on the III. Works great and seamlessly as long as you keep a couple of things in mind.

Some blocks aren’t available on the FM3, so they simply won’t show when you import a preset. Stuff like ToneMatch, IR Player, Amp 2. If an effect like a drive model isn’t available, the block will reset to default setting I believe.

Since the grid is smaller, it’s best to stay within 12x4 area starting from top left when creating a preset for the FM3 in the Axe.

CPU limit - I try to stay below 40% on the III to make I sure FM3 won’t overload. There are some tricks to lower the usage i.e. using one IR, turning off the room in the Cab block, various economy modes etc.

A cool way is to create a preset in the FM3, and then transfer it to the III for further tweaking to see how it translates to grid, CPU etc.

Also, if you’re using user cabs, I suggest importing them to the same slots in both units, cause otherwise the device will obviously load a wrong one.

Overall, it’s handy and super easy.

I own both and I find it quite easy to save and load presets between the two units. I create most of my presets on my Axe III and then just export them to my mac and the just import them into FM3 Edit or vice versa.

I usually try and keep my presets quite simple if I can so they transfer over pretty easily but I think if you have say a dual amp setup or any blocks that are not in the FM3 they just won’t show on the grid, you just need to tidy up the preset, delete shunts etc and save it again. And the same if your CPU is to the limit you’ll need to take out what you don’t need etc and save again. I don’t get any issues but as I mentioned I keep my presets pretty simple. I don’t find they need tweaking at all.

One thing I have noticed and I’m not sure if it‘s a bug or just my presets. I keep meaning to post this on here but I keep forgetting Lol It may have even been reported already And isn’t really a problem.

I like to use the vintage digital setting in the delay block with a delay time of 420ms. When I export from axe edit and import into FM3 edit the delay time doesn’t save its set at 210ms. If I create a preset on the FM3 and export from FM3 edit and then import into Axe Edit then it saves the delay time no problem. It isn’t just one preset it’s pretty much any of them I import into FM3 Edit that has been exported from Axe Edit. I should really try another delay type and see if it happens with those too. None of the other settings are affect just the delay time. My MacBook Pro is being repaired at the moment, it’s having a new battery installed so I can’t try anything at the moment unfortunately.

If anyone could try that and see if it is an actual bug that would be great!

I should probably mention I’m on 15.01 still on the Axe and 3.02 on the FM3 but it has happened before in previous firmware versions on both units.

I hope that helps!

I use the Axe Fx III at a home studio, and the FM3 for rehearsals, live etc. Since I keep my FM3 at a rehearsal space the whole time, often times I find myself tweaking my FM3 presets on the III. Works great and seamlessly as long as you keep a couple of things in mind.

Some blocks aren’t available on the FM3, so they simply won’t show when you import a preset. Stuff like ToneMatch, IR Player, Amp 2. If an effect like a drive model isn’t available, the block will reset to default setting I believe.

Since the grid is smaller, it’s best to stay within 12x4 area starting from top left when creating a preset for the FM3 in the Axe.

CPU limit - I try to stay below 40% on the III to make I sure FM3 won’t overload. There are some tricks to lower the usage i.e. using one IR, turning off the room in the Cab block, various economy modes etc.

A cool way is to create a preset in the FM3, and then transfer it to the III for further tweaking to see how it translates to grid, CPU etc.

Also, if you’re using user cabs, I suggest importing them to the same slots in both units, cause otherwise the device will obviously load a wrong one.

Overall, it’s handy and super easy.
Great info and work flow.

Back
Top Bottom