Observations Between Ownhammer and ML Sound Lab IRs

monkeymanx

Inspired
I've been using mainly Ownhammer for IRs over the years and have a bunch of different packs. I started trying out some of the ML Sound Lab IRs that came built into the Axe FX III. I was really digging the Citrus and Zilla offerings in there. From what I can tell though, ML Sound Lab seems like you hear the sound of the cab more than the Ownhammer IRs. As in, with Ownhammer you are hearing more of the sound of the speaker than the different cabs.

After having that observation it led me to the cab rear mic in the Ownhammer packs. I found adding that to the front mics brings more of the sound of the cab into the IR blend. This has really opened up the blends I do in Cab Lab now. Also discovered the mid mic that is in the Ownhammer packs provides a nice defined mid boost if needed.

One thing I did do though is pick up the ML Greatest Hits pack because it's simple and quick which I like. I have mixed feelings though after actually playing through the pack. One thing I noticed out of all the cabs in the pack, none of them have that mid presence that Ownhammer has. It's as if the mid frequency is being captured differently probably based on mic placement. It isn't good or bad, just different.

I guess folks have a preference between these different offerings out there. We are at no shortage of IRs now and there are tons of choices. I think for me though I prefer the Ownhammer captures. Also, I generally don't use the MD421 on any of my blends because it's really nasally. I'm thinking ML uses that mic which may turn me off to some of the Greatest Hits captures. There are some good ones though in that pack and they tend to blend well with my blends from my Ownhammer packs which is good.

Overall though, I feel like the Greatest Hits isn't a versatile as I thought it would end up being. And maybe that's the thing with these pre done blends is they end up being hit or miss for your application. This is what keeps me away from a bunch of the "mix ready" ones that pop up. EQing a cab after getting a good capture with the mics isn't that difficult especially considering the Axe has some good ability to EQ in your patches. Of of course you can EQ after recording which works too.

Again these are just my observations and opinions after sitting down and playing my guitar for about 4 hours last night going down the ever so popular IR rabbit hole yet again.

I find York Audio fits my needs better than either of them. Ownhammer are a bit heavy in the low end and low mids, and ML are like you said, lacking bite. Too subdued in the high mids and high end.
York does have great sounding IRs.

I wish he had the Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog 12" in a good cab (AC30? 5E3?), and their fantastic AlNiCo 10V....

I blended some of the greatest hits IRs together and found some really good combinations in the end. Blending the Zilla 2x12 with the Mesa Djent and Mesa Trad works well. I do a blend with the Orange 4x12 also which sounds cool. The Mesas are just used to raise some of the mids up. So, I feel like you can do quite a bit with the small amount of IRs provided. Ownhammer still has it's own thing going on though in that mid section that differs from ML.

I haven't tried the York Audio ones. I think I'm all IR'ed out for now though.

Have you guys tried the ML mikko sim plug-in to make IR’s? I’ve found the best results so far with that although literally every tool is usable — ie the prefab’ed ir’s as well as stock kits. The thing the mikko provided for me was a little extra bite and presence and maybe more mid forward tones that I like — obviously due to the way I was dialing it in

I track my guitars wet now since the sound and effects change the way I play. I don't capture the DI so I don't use plugins for amp or cab sims. I guess you could blend and IR and then send it to the Axe to play. Not sure if that cab sim allows that or now.

After a couple weeks now though of playing after having picked up the Greatest Hits collection I can say that I prefer the Ownhammer offerings I already had. Again though, I think I'm all IR'ed out. I have so many collections at this point.

I really like Ownhammer stuff in general, but I've become a recent convert to the York Audio IRs as well. Their 421s in particular sound miles better than any other IRs I've heard with that mic.

My opinion on this matter is this: I have a HUGE collection of IRs cabs..almost everything that I could afford to buy..By far the ones I really do prefer and use are the ones that ML Sound put on the market.Then comes Vallhalir.at and York Audio and Ownhammer...I still use some from Redwirez too.Jens Borgen are very good too but I still go with the ML Sound cabs ..its a rabbit hole I know and thats why I have stick with the ones I do enjoy and like.

I still haven't found a ML to my taste. I have all the packs, but I abandoned them a while ago. I find them too buzzy on the highs, and a Hi-Cut filter makes them sterile. I am currently using Ownhammer, York and ValhalIR

Last edited:
I absolutely love the ownhammer Iris, but I sometimes find their packs too extensive. Many different speakers etc. Sometimes you just want a certain cab with its standard speaker.

I absolutely love the ownhammer Iris, but I sometimes find their packs too extensive. Many different speakers etc. Sometimes you just want a certain cab with its standard speaker.
Most if their stuff is available as an individual speaker/cab I think, at least they used to be. Their bigger packs are just a better deal.

Most if their stuff is available as an individual speaker/cab I think, at least they used to be. Their bigger packs are just a better deal.

True you can get saparate speaker, but then it says nothing about cab if I recall correctly. And if you choose cab you get more speakers. That is great, but sometimes I just prefer the york way: cab and stock speaker. Cheaper too.

Back
Top Bottom