Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 8 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The JCM 800 Sounds much less tamed to me. The Gain staging is there, and from second listening, EQ isn't the problem here at all because it's pretty spot on. bBut the compressed sound and that upper harmonics that open the sound. It sort of like 15.01 artifact in the upper range that makes it sound like under a blanket and polished.
Aside from the normal variance between amps, you can get just about any sound from a real JCM800. If you take that approach and get to know how it reacts on the master, you can do jazz blues improv like Wayne Krantz to Slayer. The trick with the Axe is to mess with the bright cap value and IRs have a huge impact with the bright cap.
For instance a bright IR with a strat either disable the bright or use 47pF maybe a little more. Stock is 1000pF which is kinda nuts and makes lower master volumes less useful.

Aside from the normal variance between amps, you can get just about any sound from a real JCM800. If you take that approach and get to know how it reacts on the master, you can do jazz blues improv like Wayne Krantz to Slayer. The trick with the Axe is to mess with the bright cap value and IRs have a huge impact with the bright cap.
For instance a bright IR with a strat either disable the bright or use 47pF maybe a little more. Stock is 1000pF which is kinda nuts and makes lower master volumes less useful.

Look at the clean tones Jamie West-Oram used to get when he used them in The Fixx in the 80's

I can't put my finger on it but I decided to go back to 5 from 8 and 5 feels and sounds better.......... 8 feels like the midrange is scooped out. 8 seems to make things sound the same again.

I already posted this in the af3 recording subforum, but I'm reposting here if you don't mind, because everyone has to know that Cygnus finally fills the gap between a real amp and a digital model! Definitely a game changer - and its till a beta!

Both sounds great - The biggest difference I hear is that A is louder than B

Is there like an advanced guide on stuff like bright cap pF interaction behaviour and all the various parameters within the amp block?
The wiki is great but for this particular tweak it really depends on your guitar and any pedals you might use. Like the Pi can be really horrid with bright caps, but the Rat gets extra itchy inverse high frequency chunky with lower bright cap values. It's unusable with a low master volume 800 with the stock bright cap, like mostly everything else.
I would absolutely disable the bright switch with a tele.

the Kemper is a mystery I will never understand. You can use a triple rectifier profile or a fender Princeton profile, they will always sound like a Kemper, with that annoying ooomph in the low mids that FAS sorted out about 75 fw's ago!
Correct. Some years ago we entered a concert hall. I said "I hear a Kemper". My body replied: "I just wanted to say that.“
On stage we saw 2 Kempers. One for each of us.

There was some of that papery, fizzey stuff going on, with it being very audible as the chords decay on my AC20 patch after this last Beta update...
I traced it to the Tone of Kings drive I was using in front of the amp and the only cure other than turning off the drive ...was to increase the BIAS on the advanced page of the Drive....at .010 were it was originally the drive was unusable due to the Fizzy stuff but increasing it too .100 turned the trick.

In Beta8, all presets generally sound slightly louder and the saturation begins to take effect earlier than in Beta5. Because of this or independently of it, the impression of the room is somewhat more reserved.
I compared the presets Band Com, 59 Bassm, 65Bassm, Top Boost, Plex50, Plex100,
USA Mark IV.
This impression is reinforced with the AC20 and AC-15 presets and I have to reduce the input volume a little
The AC-15 sounds a bit more defined in Beta5 when playing the low strings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom