Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. We have the luxury of dialing in the Master Volume for the best tone. People who use real amps don't have that luxury.
Weeellll, kinda. I bought my ToneKing Sky King and Imperial Mk II amps because they came with a great attenuator, which acts like a stepped master volume that sits inside the output transformer. I could turn the input gain up full knowing it'd cause the power section to overdrive, adjust the attenuator for the volume I wanted, and be happy controlling the amp's sound from the guitar.

The FM3 and AF3 give me the same sort of control but weigh a lot less and don't require tubes that keep increasing in price or get microphonic or.... The only downside of the modelers is I have to keep feeding them electrons.

The Master Volume control taper now matches the real amp. In all prior firmwares the MV taper was Log15 for every model regardless of what the real amp used. I will have to check those two models you are using to see if the taper is different from Log15.

I may return the taper back to Log15 for the final release. Haven't decided yet.
Reminds me of the MV taper on the real Boogie Mark IV I used to have. 0.5 - barely audible......1.0 - killing small animals
FWIW, I would prefer the Log15 for all amps. It would be a helluva lot of work to have to learn a different specific MV taper for every single amp. Many actual amps have a MV which is truly an impediment to accurately setting a desired level, rather than the far more useful prospect of having a consistent range from min to max for all.

I, like many Axe FX III owners (I imagine), have owned rather few of the actual amps in the Axe FX III, so the convenience of providing legacy knob position reference accuracy for those few hardware owners that get some vicarious satisfaction from that correspondence is lost on me.
It doesn't outweigh having a greater range of repeatably nuanced accuracy, and which is consistent between amp models.

FWIW, I would prefer the Log15 for all amps. It would be a helluva lot of work to have to learn a different specific MV taper for every single amp. Many actual amps have a MV which is truly an impediment to accurately setting a desired level, rather than the far more useful prospect of having a consistent range from min to max for all.

I, like many Axe FX III owners (I imagine), have owned rather few of the actual amps in the Axe FX III, so the convenience of providing legacy knob position reference accuracy for those few hardware owners that get some vicarious satisfaction from that correspondence is lost on me.
It doesn't outweigh having a greater range of repeatably nuanced accuracy, and which is consistent between amp models.
Truly curious: do you feel the same about all of the other settings?

If you want a stupid KNOB don’t touch the mv and turn the level volume 🤦. 10 pages about this KNOB . Cliff don’t sleep for this update and they are talking about a volume KNOB .

truly curious : Would you have noticed if cliff hadn't said anything about it?

Last edited:
Now I want 10 pages about a button or buttknob etc. jk.

Hint for newer forum users: when the FW release thread conversation diverges into long debates about functional preferences, you know the FW itself is killing it.

If you want a stupid KNOB don’t touch the mv and turn the level volume 🤦. 10 pages about this KNOB . Cliff don’t sleep for this update and they are talking about a volume KNOB .

But the master volume works differently than the level knob. For most MV amps the MV setting can completely change the character of the amp. It basically controls how much power amp compression and distortion you get. For tight metal tones you want none of that, but for most classic sounds you really want it. Also depends on the amp. I like my JCM800 with power amp distortion, but I prefer other hi-gain amps without it.

But the master volume works differently than the level knob. For most MV amps the MV setting can completely change the character of the amp. It basically controls how much power amp compression and distortion you get. For tight metal tones you want none of that, but for most classic sounds you really want it. Also depends on the amp. I like my JCM800 with power amp distortion, but I prefer other hi-gain amps without it.
Yes I think the one who use this button does it with fender or “clean amps” . I personally never touch this button . I have tried it already but doesn’t help me to have a “better sound” in high gain yes . But ... if this button is accurate now, the sound change like the real amp no ?

anyway, I am dialing the triple recto and found a rammstein type of sound . Which year is the triple recto in the axe ?

I have a nice JP2c sound too , I have compared it with my jp and my preset is close

You spent about 27 pages vaguely complaining about not wanting to upgrade to a beta in the last beta thread, so I'm not sure exactly where you think you're coming from right now.

Yes I think the one who use this button does it with fender or “clean amps” . I personally never touch this button . I have tried it already but doesn’t help me to have a “better sound” in high gain yes . But ... if this button is accurate now, the sound change like the real amp no ?

anyway, I am dialing the triple recto and found a rammstein type of sound . Which year is the triple recto in the axe ?

I have a nice JP2c sound too , I have compared it with my jp and my preset is close
Most Fender and clean amps are non-MV amps. Seriously, getting the balance between input drive and master volume just right is where I spend most of the time, when I dial an amp

You spent about 27 pages vaguely complaining about not wanting to upgrade to a beta in the last beta thread, so I'm not sure exactly where you think you're coming from right now.

That’s why I learned to open a dedicated topic when I was off topic, and now try to give demos and info in the appropriate one. So don't do what you complain about 😉.

so Ben? Happy with the beta ? Videos ?

That’s why I learned to open a dedicated topic when I m out , and now try to give demos and infos in the appropriate one . So don’t do what you was complaining about 😉.
so Ben? Happy with the beta ? Videos ?
I'm actually discussing an aspect of the beta. I've also posted discussing other aspects of the beta and a couple issues I'm having with it to try and figure out if they're bugs. So... shrug

Just got done comparing some real amps to Cygnus and all I can say is WOW! I got nearly perfect matches for my 5150 and Dual Rec by just copying amp settings. Cygnus even matches the “ugly” parts of the real amp, which was actually the most impressive part of the comparison. FWIW, I really like the authentic MV taper. It actually made it easier for me to match the amps.

For the Recto 1 fans, Recto 2 is surprisingly close to my ‘96 Rev G, so don’t be afraid to dig into that model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom