What is the meaning of "staging from sex"?

Piing

Axe-Master
English is not my first language. Can someone explain to me what is the meaning of "staging from sex"?

I came to that phrase during a voyage inside the dark web; the dark web of audiophile madness, sub-section of power cords with magic properties. 🤪

This is an excerpt of a review of the Furutech Power Flux NCF 18E cable ($6,000) at 6Moons.com:

"I believe that soundstage width is predominantly due to speaker placement and dispersion. It has precious little to do with the electronics. They wouldn't know staging from sex. General stage depth does want proper breathing room from the front wall to avoid the in-wall speaker presentation. It's in how specific depth cues get that things like phase consistency, minimal energy storage and a very low system noise floor make a difference. It's precisely in the suchness of the depth domain, its layer sorting, its through-the-wall continuity and clarity where the PowerFlux made its biggest contributions. It did this more significantly on the DAC than amp

In my follow-on review for the GTO-D2 with Booster Braces, I'd isolated the NCF effect as higher contrast ratio in general, as more lights on deck for the soundstage back in particular. Replacing the very slinky Dutch power cord on the DAC with the fatter Japanese borrowed from that review's particular half. In photographic terms, depth of field improved. The faraway had more focus equality with the front. That greater focus evenness didn't move background sounds like faint percussion behind soloists forward. Nothing received relocation papers. My attention simply saw them more distinctly and discretely. In that sense, they became more important. The whole of the presentation filled out more. This was like prescription glasses on aged eyes, simple yet effective. In hifi terms, separation imposed itself stronger on the farther layers. When you know your system well, then change one thing and notice how the red carpet rolls out deeper, it's an uncanny thing. From experience, I lay such depth effects at the feet of lower system noise even though this isn't about primitive ear-on-tweeter hiss. There shouldn't be any to begin with. This is about far out-of-band noise whose presence has 'step-down' effects that become audible as resolution losses. Digital in particular seems very sensitive to this. A key factor of extremist audiophile streamers/servers is how they avoid such UHF noise in the first place; and how successfully they attenuate any remnants. The PowerFlux cord effect had many similarities to how a premium reclocker can improve an already very good D/A converter."

What is the meaning of "They wouldn't know staging from sex" in that context? I am curious to know

And just for fun , here is another epic review:

"To state the obvious, a power cord feeding a system of five electronics multiplies the cable's sonic influence by five. What might be more-far more?-subtle when isolated as a power cord on a single component will become far more obvious with the cord carrying current to the whole system. That's if said cord operates in a higher league than what it replaces. That's common sense. Cheapskates always hope for giant killers. Occasionally one such does rise to the occasion. Usually though, more money will buy superior parts/materials and more advanced engineering so better performance. In my first A/B, the Furutech was costlier and one look at its connectors and greater girth certainly showed differences. But as love is supposed to be blind, so are our ears. If one didn't know which cord was which, could one still identify the Furutech as being a next-level product? If so, what gave it away?

Resolution. Audible space. Dynamics. Those were the three-leafed clover aspects in the Furutech's lapel. Unexpectedly, much of these cord swaps played out on the archetypal copper/silver axis. The Irish cable was warmer, softer, its texturization matte, its space less lit up so typical copper signatures. The Japanese cord was more energetic, focused and glossy; like typical silver even though it was pure copper. I'm only using metalurgy to make a point. With the DPS-4.1, image halos which on good recordings light up space around a voice or instrument were far more apparent. With my volume displayed in super-large digits to assure perfect repeatability from the seat, it was clear also that with the Furutech fronting the system, dynamic range expanded. Peaks rose higher. Even more relevant, the little flutters of emphatic accents that fill out a melodic arc traversed more distance for greater dynamic expression. That together with clearer space coordinates-think higher focus inside the space plus a keener venue sense due to more obvious reflections aka reverb-added up to higher resolution and more musical energy.

Where the copper/silver connection fell apart as it should have since the Furutech wasn't actually silver was weight. Perceived mass nearly always favors copper. For all its more 'silvery' attributes, on weight the Furutech played it copper all the way, even eclipsed the Irish mono-crystal version. In short, even a blind listener like Stevie Wonder would have readily latched onto these differences and without fail identified the dearer cord. Once our LessLoss cord replaced the Titan, that clear and neatly tiered offset was gone. On resolution from lowest-most noise floor to fully reveal trailing edges and spatial decays, these were equals. But differences remained. Furutech's textures were glossier. They seemed to contain just a bit more upper harmonics to get us back at the silver effect. That same difference meant that furious hammer falls in a piano's upper registers acquired more of a Fazioli sharpness than Bösendorfer sonority. The strong vertical spiccato of forcefully bowed strings was wirier. To overwrite, the LessLoss focused on more wood, the Furutech more on metal. This was a slightly different voicing"

No wonder how even the most intelligent people (writing these reviews and earning the money to buy these expensive cables may require some skills) can be trapped into the most weird religions, cults and conspiracy theories :p

• Haha
Reactions: yek
the topic seems to be "soundstage." the word "staging" is a shortened reference to the word "soundstage."

there is a slang/insult "he wouldn't know X from Y." it is basically short for "he is so dumb, that he wouldn't know the difference between X and Y." it's usually used to compare two completely different things making the subject of the insult seem very dumb. to understand the statement, the listener needs to know that the 2 items are different first of all.

the power of a statement like this is to make X and Y two completely different things, and the more different, the more dumb the subject of the insult seems. it's based on exaggeration.

he wouldn't know basketball from baseball - this isn't very effective as an insult, because they are both sports, and it's logical that someone could confuse the two. so the statement works, but isn't much of an insult or as effective.

he wouldn't know basketball from a box of cookies - this one is more effective, as cookies are clearly not baseball. but for the "humor" part of the statement, it's not that smart because there isn't really any relationship or similarity between X and Y. however, it is a worse insult.

he wouldn't know basketball from a swarm of bees - this one is effective, as they are both known and clearly aren't the same. it makes a little more sense/humor because bees actually move in groups, similar to a basketball team moving around in a group. (not the best example, but all i could come up with right now haha.)

so "wouldn't know staging from sex" means that person is so dumb or inexperienced, that they don't know the difference between soundstaging and sex, that they think those are the same thing. sex is a pretty common activity that most people know, so the insult is that the subject of the statement thinks soundstaging is something common that everyone knows.

This is a variation of common colloquialism which compares two completely different things and implies that a person is so ignorant as to not being able to tell the two apart.

Alternatively, you could also say-
"You wouldn't know soundstaging if it was sitting on your face".

I've traveled deeper into the Audiophilists Dark Web, and I've found this piece of BS trying to justify why the cable that runs from the power outlet to your DAC is the most important piece of the audio system :eek:

Like if it is magically going to restore all the shit accumulated from the power plant to the substations and to your house 😂

That review is awesome. The modern carnival barker is an audiophile reviewer.

Reminds me of a dude I’ve done a few gear deals with locally that has stupid amounts of money. I was over at his place looking at a guitar and he showed me his $100k+ stereo. It did look cool. He said the final thing he bought to make the system come alive was a few thousand bucks worth of power cables. Naturally he demos it for me. He put on Motley Crue’s first album on vinyl. Now don’t get me wrong, there’s some fun tunes on that album but the recording is pretty awful. I was expecting Aja, Dark side of the moon, Rush, or anything else.

I have an idea for a new and expensive product: Audiophile Power Generators!!

Since they are so concerned about the mains supply, we could sell them small diesel power generators with very expensive "Audiophile-grade features"

People that pays $6,000 for a power cable, $20,000 for a speaker cable or $30,000 for brass spikes with pure gold core (I can't imagine what is the value of the rest of their equipment) must be very rich and have big houses. They surely have a place to locate the "audiophile" power generator (placed over very special and expensive high-end spikes, of course)

Who wants to become billionaire with a relatively small investment? 🤠🤠🤠

Last edited:
The second phase of that business empire would be to sell them "audiophile diesel" for the generator, since that is the real core of the power that moves the speaker's membranes.

I've traveled deeper into the Audiophilists Dark Web, and I've found this piece of BS trying to justify why the cable that runs from the power outlet to your DAC is the most important piece of the audio system :eek:

Like if it is magically going to restore all the shit accumulated from the power plant to the substations and to your house 😂

Wow. That's glorious. Somewhere there's a forum like TGP where they've had hundreds of pages of debates about that video.

Audiophile power cords are total snake-oil.
The only cable advise that made sense was what I learned from my old friend Kevin Lewis who started Performance Audio in Salt Lake City.
This was when I had racks of power amps for my P.A. He taught me to buy oversized oxygen free pure copper speaker cables. Something like 0 gauge. It was like 3 or 4 bucks a foot in the 80's.

With very low resistance I could buy (and haul) about half the power amps than I would have with standard speaker cables. It was a shock to spend a few hundred bucks on a cable, but with big Crown amps going for $6k a pop, it made a huge difference buying 3 instead of 6. Didn't overload the power grid either. Let us add more power saving 1000w par cans!

Now all my amps are in the cabinets so its just another piece of antiquated knowledge I no longer use.

I am still shocked at how loud and bright I can put on a show now on so few watts AC. AV Technology has come so far!

All you have to do is challenge one of these chuckleheads to a blind comparison between 10k cable and lamp cord. They will never take the bait. Pseudo-Audiophiles are the apex of douchebaggery.

All you have to do is challenge one of these chuckleheads to a blind comparison between 10k cable and lamp cord. They will never take the bait. Pseudo-Audiophiles are the apex of douchebaggery.
Well the cable needs time to break in before it can be compared. When you first get them they are stiff and do allow the electrons to imbue their mystic qualities. Also, the phase of the moon and alignment of the planets can effect the results of the blind test. I'll get back to you when the conditions are truly right for a "fair" comparison. Looking at the astronomical calendar, it looks like June 28, 2096 will be good. Until then, I will just bask in the glory of my vibrainium infused power cord. BTW, don't get unicorn enhanced cables unless they are vintage. Due to inbreeding, unicorn parts have gone down hill and are not worth the extra cost. I mean really, be smart.

Back
Top Bottom