Active Speakers LD Systems ICOA12A

Tom Morris

Power User
Just wondering if anyone has tried these speakers with any of the fractal products? It's a coaxial design with a horn driver mounted in front of low driver. They have a DSP with display with 5 EQ curve setting as well as High, Low, Mid controls and delay which is kind of cool. You can also rotate the horn bell for floor monitor or pole mount configurations. Don't often see speakers you have an adjustment over mid's so that's pretty cool. Super budget priced at $299.00. Some shops sell a package with stands, cables and covers for $599. Most of the reviews comment on how much bass they can produce

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 2.39.22 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-29 at 2.44.32 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-29 at 2.44.09 PM.jpg

Interesting. LD makes a column array I heard once and was impressed by. No experience with this one.

I ordered a set should be in Friday, will let y'all know my thoughts when I get a chance to try them out. For me CLR wasn't the one, however I only had one and it was the first heavy version bought used. Lacked the low punch I crave was really the only thing I didn't like about it. CLR cuts like a hatchet through the mix for sure.

Midrange EQ seems like the weak spot in most FRFR solutions in my opinion. Ideally If a cabinet had a quality Low, Mid and high driver with a way yo control output of each frequency would be ideal. Keeping in mind I'm more interested in having an FRFR system that sounds like a real guitar cabinet but with extended highs for synth stuff.

The CLR wasn't right for me, either, but it wasn't because of a lack of low punch! I'll be really curious what you think of these. I like my PXM-12MP's, but there is one tiny, minor flaw in their DSP that they can't seem to fix.

Speakers came in today but I won't have a chance to mess with them till Sunday. Was surprised at their size, a little larger than I had imagined. Was hoping they were more compact but oh well.

63424612542__7B982A4D-B4A7-4B72-ABE3-3FF1ACB92555.jpeg

Overall for the price $300 each they would work fine for anyone. I like having control of midrange frequency which you don't get on most speakers. Again cabinet construction plastic Vrs birch plywood always makes a difference. That said the tuning of a cabinet plays a big part as well as the components. I feel these are a viable solution. Compared one to my Friedman ASM-12. The ASM-12 is a very warm cabinet, 1-2k mids seem a bit scooped in the tuning of that cabinet, A plus for the LD ICOA12A is you can dial that in to taste.

My live rig is a Blackstar HT100 MKII I'm using as my gain tone generator coming out of its XLR speaker simulated line out into the AFX. Bigger and outdoor venue's I run a Mesa Boogie 212 upright cabinet right out of the amp. Running 2x ASM-12's on stage, one on top of the MB212 cab and one in front as a monitor, those have my FX chain in them with same mix going to FOH. Been putting 2x EV ZLX-12P out front next to the PA (Bass play owns and runs the PA) done with my guitar being gone from the mix. Nothing more frustrating for me than to see fan video's where my guitar is missing from the mix. Bandmate runs the same amp dry no FX with a 4x12 aimed at his knees.

Well hell, order came in today minus the speakers. Thought I had been porch pirated. Called IDJNOW and was told that model had been discontinued, I guess the order was coming direct from manufacturer on the speakers. Luckily they had the upgraded version that have bluetooth in stock and upgraded me free. Would have been nice to know this Monday when I ordered them but $100 upgrade for the win.

Feeling sad these are discontinued as they really sound great running Fractal stuff through them. May be that they just weren't selling many of the non bluetooth version and decided to discontinue that model.

Received the two bluetooth version of these speakers Friday same as the non bluetooth version. Cant say enough good things about these speakers, they just flat out kick ass. So much so I'm putting my Friedman ASM-12's up fo salel ASAP. First gig out with the them 2/27/2021 Just Freakin awesome. I'm running a wet dry wet system and these speakers get closest to the real cab of any I have tried. Xitone, CLR, Friedman, EV. These speakers have Low, Mid, high, adjustments which most FRFR speakers don't have. Super easy to dial these in to get what you want. I highly recommend these to anyone looking for a cabinet or cabinets, at $300 a piece they are a steal. $349 for the bluetooth model. I bought them from IDJNOW.com a few weeks ago and placed another order for two more being I was so impressed.

Glad they're working out well.

How are you running the tone controls on them, in general? More or less flat?

How does mixed music sound through them? I assume that's what the bluetooth is for.

I had them set on the full range setting with High +6 Mid +5 Bass -+0. On the AFXIII I have a Para EQ cutting low below 125 and peaking at a couple points I'm not sure of at the moment as I'm not set up yet. I don't have a CLR in my possession at the moment but from memory these seem to be warmer.

I had them set on the full range setting with High +6 Mid +5 Bass -+0. On the AFXIII I have a Para EQ cutting low below 125 and peaking at a couple points I'm not sure of at the moment as I'm not set up yet. I don't have a CLR in my possession at the moment but from memory these seem to be warmer.
Thanks for the response.

Received the two bluetooth version of these speakers Friday same as the non bluetooth version. Cant say enough good things about these speakers, they just flat out kick ass. So much so I'm putting my Friedman ASM-12's up fo salel ASAP. First gig out with the them 2/27/2021 Just Freakin awesome. I'm running a wet dry wet system and these speakers get closest to the real cab of any I have tried. Xitone, CLR, Friedman, EV. These speakers have Low, Mid, high, adjustments which most FRFR speakers don't have. Super easy to dial these in to get what you want. I highly recommend these to anyone looking for a cabinet or cabinets, at $300 a piece they are a steal. $349 for the bluetooth model. I bought them from IDJNOW.com a few weeks ago and placed another order for two more being I was so impressed.
What style do you play? I play in a wedding band. So, I have to cover a lot of styles (Jazz, FDunk, Disco, Rock...) I purchased(still waiting) on a new ISPtech power wedge.. A. Few months ago, our sound company had a Meyersound MFC-210...Oh my (F’ing) God!!!! My AX8 sounded like I’ve ever heard it..Heck, Even my old Digitech RP1000 (sound test) sounded like an Ax Fx :) The punch and power..That. In your face sound. CAn’t explain it :) ... But, one day I hope to own a powered Meyer MF-210..

I would say these speakers are closest to a CLR with the added benefit of being able to tweak an EQ within the speaker it's self. 70's through 2000's. Should be fine with any audio.

Back
Top Bottom