Talk me out of getting a 5153 lol

Recently started playing guitar (mostly melodic metal type stuff) regularly again after taking a break for a few years when my last band broke up. My awesome GF wanted to buy me a nice piece of gear, and since I don't have a good amp (just a POS practice amp at the moment), she ordered me one of the amps I've always wanted - a 100w 5150 III Stealth head that is currently on backorder. Thing is, I don't plan on playing in a legit band again, aside from jamming with some friends on the weekends. I'm thinking this rig will be overkill for playing at home, and a PITA to lug back and forth to friends' houses. But, it is the amp I've always wanted! Then the other day, I remembered the Axe Fx exists lol. I have been doing lots of reading about the FX3, and now I'm torn between getting the FX3, or the 5153. I feel like the FX3 will be better suited for playing at home and will be easier to travel with, as well as having almost limitless options to the sounds I can make. Am I going to miss out on anything the 5153 offers, or am I just being dumb and should grab the FX3 instead, because it really sounds like the better choice for my uses at this point in my life. Did any of you go through something similar? What persuaded you to go one way or the other? Thanks for reading my dumb post lol.

I have the axe 3 and sold every amp and pedal I had after a year of having the axe. That said: they really are different products. A modeler like the axe fx will really take some getting used to. If you are used to a normal amp that is. And that is just soundwise. Also: buying the axe will mean investing time in getting to know it and learning how to tweak it. Yes the axe is very intuitive, but still isn’t simple to get the sounds that you have in your head. If you really just want to plug and play and you can be totally happy with just the one amp and you are willing to hail it around (is it really that often?) then the 5150 will be awesome. If you like to have all the wonderful sounds and options available that a guitar can produce and you are willing to put an effort in, go for the axe.
Keep in mind that buying the axe means buying a midi footcontroller and speakers as well. Good speakers are a must. You will have to transport those to your friends too if you want to play there.

Harm

I love good tube amps, and I’ve got 10 stellar ones in my music space right now. And I will tell you... don’t get the amp, get the Axe Fx III. Or, if you want an all-in-one option, the FM3... or even a used AX8. The options are nearly endless with these units, and all the various EVH-sourced amps are in there.

You‘ll also need a good monitor if you’re planning on jamming with friends, and be aware those can add a grand to the package.

Like I said, I love amps and have no intent to stop using them. But if I could have only one option, it would be the Axe Fx III (and a CLR Neo or RCF NX12SMA monitor).

I'd look at the FM3 as I think it would be ideal for what you're describing. Works perfectly as a standalone device with headphones or monitors or into a power amp and cab. I'd get that and a decent set of studio monitors and call it a day.

I love my 5153 and I got it because I love the model in AxeFx3. The EVH greenbacks are freaking awesome to stand in front of.
IRs are cool and all but really nothing like reality (don't shoot me). Also get a good reactive load box! 5153s are loud as all hell.

I love my 5153 and I got it because I love the model in AxeFx3. The EVH greenbacks are freaking awesome to stand in front of.
IRs are cool and all but really nothing like reality (don't shoot me). Also get a good reactive load box! 5153s are loud as all hell.

Turn up the IR to "real amp" levels and it should be about the same ;)

We're all somewhat biased here. That said, get the AF3.

I'm done with buying amps.
I haven't touched any of mine, nor even thought of getting a new one since the AF3 arrived.

Why buy a planet when you can have an entire universe at your fingertips for about the same price?
Plus, it's unbeatable in the whisper-quiet/headphone department.

One aside is that, should you grab the AF3/FM3, think about factoring foot control in at some point, and what you want to do for speakers.
These are associated costs that have come into play for me. There are multiple solutions for all kinds of budgets. I spent the first few months using headphones entirely, while deciding on an FRFR setup.

If I get a tube power amp for the FX3, will it give me that chest thumping feel you get from a loud tube amp?
Yes.
I have a Fryette Power Station powering a 212.
It sounds as good as or better than all tube amps I've played through. Takes a little bit of tweaking depending on the speakers you have.
I run a Multiband comp block in front of my amp block and it gives it more 'pop'.

For whatever its worth, this week i borrowed an Axe FX III and played it through my 5150 III 50w with Genz Benz g-flex 4x12 cab. I was plugging the Axe FX to the fx return of the 5150 (i.e. bypassing the 5150's preamp).

Pretty quickly i was able to get a sound that was almost identical to the real amp's tone on the red channel. i switched back and forth dozens of times and could only tell a slight difference (not a bad difference) which im sure i could have fixed if i had spent a few more minutes with it.

i really like the amp-in-the-room feel, so if i end up buying an axe fx, i plan on playing it through a poweramp of some type and my 4x12 cab, while running a different output to the front of house mixing board.

For whatever its worth, this week i borrowed an Axe FX III and played it through my 5150 III 50w with Genz Benz g-flex 4x12 cab. I was plugging the Axe FX to the fx return of the 5150 (i.e. bypassing the 5150's preamp).

Pretty quickly i was able to get a sound that was almost identical to the real amp's tone on the red channel. i switched back and forth dozens of times and could only tell a slight difference (not a bad difference) which im sure i could have fixed if i had spent a few more minutes with it.

i really like the amp-in-the-room feel, so if i end up buying an axe fx, i plan on playing it through a poweramp of some type and my 4x12 cab, while running a different output to the front of house mixing board.

Exactly my thoughts. My "dream setup" in the room would be the Axe 3 with stereo guitar cabs and a power amp. The only way I could see a tube amp being useful for me would be a small tube combo like a Tweed Deluxe or Princeton Reverb, and only specifically for NOT having a lot of options but forcing me to play.

Back
Top Bottom