Let's see those FM3 rigs!

So first of all, i bought the FM3 for it’s portability (obviously?) but wanted to add some functions to the already amazing unit.

1. AirStep from Xsonic, all beacuse of Leon Todd. It controls the patches up and down, i then switch scenes on the FM3.
It also controls our multitrack system live, and my ipad... and syncs the digital backdrop to the multitrack system. And it also turns on my coffee machine (no joke).

2. Boss expression, big footprint, awesome!

3. Everything on a heavily moded pedaltrain Jr Classic. With some additional midi in and out jacks, and relay jacks.
it also has a input jack that switches automatically between wireless or wired, so if the wireless dies i just plug the cable in with no need to re-route the cables.

All this in a small peli-style case.
a real workhorse

cheeers!

View attachment 74208View attachment 74209View attachment 74210View attachment 74211View attachment 74212View attachment 74213
How easy is the Airstep to program??

Or do what I did and install a compact power bar under the board. Mine has two outlets and 4 USB charging ports. Then use short power cables from your IEC devices to connect to the power bar. Voila, one power cable to plug in.

I think I go with PP2+ anyway, it’s a bit overkill but will most definitely do the job 🤷🏻‍♂️ I still have plenty time before my rig needs to be ready for gigs so I might as well wait ’till Temple Audio makes own mod for FM3 folks 😂

Face.JPG
Side.JPG
Full.JPG
I am still getting my rig set up but found these inexpensive and reasonable screen protectors I wanted to share. 3.5" x5" clear magnetic photo frames. (please excuse the messy room, lol) You can see that 3.5 x 5.5 would be ideal to cover from the left rail to the right buttons; and or for better magnet placement. As far as the magnets effecting the screen, we'll have to see, no issues so far after a couple of days. Both sides have magnets so you get two protectors for $9. I was worried they were too thick but there is plenty of room to turn the knobs even with my fat fingers.

You can see that the magnets all have cracking around them, I reported this to the seller and they took them down and are investigating them. Here is another one; there are at least a dozen sellers of these from $9 to $50.

I am content with this for now; better than nothing and isn't too janky ;)

Here's an Amazon link to a similar item:
Amazon product ASIN B07CWQD62C

I am still getting my rig set up but found these inexpensive and reasonable screen protectors I wanted to share. 3.5" x5" clear magnetic photo frames. (please excuse the messy room, lol) You can see that 3.5 x 5.5 would be ideal to cover from the left rail to the right buttons; and or for better magnet placement. As far as the magnets effecting the screen, we'll have to see, no issues so far after a couple of days. Both sides have magnets so you get two protectors for $9. I was worried they were too thick but there is plenty of room to turn the knobs even with my fat fingers.

You can see that the magnets all have cracking around them, I reported this to the seller and they took them down and are investigating them. Here is another one; there are at least a dozen sellers of these from $9 to $50.

I am content with this for now; better than nothing and isn't too janky ;)

Here's an Amazon link to a similar item:
Amazon product ASIN B07CWQD62C
That screen protector is thick! Looks like you could drop a brick on it from 6 feet and it would not crack the screen.

That screen protector is thick! Looks like you could drop a brick on it from 6 feet and it would not crack the screen.

IKR! lol. They are 10mm thick I tried my damnedest to find thinner ones. All I could find was custom manufactured 3 or 5 mm ones from alibaba or whatever but you had to buy 1000 of them lol :)

I like the Ceba ones but they also cover the buttons on the right and I don;t want them covered so probably going to get a ZenRigs set with the red and white stripes bar because it looks cool.

Not the prettiest, but functional. I made a pedalboard with Lowe’s 2x4’s and put it in a hardshell carry on case (had to unzip the 2” expansion zipper)
There’s an EV2 for volume and Moog EP3 for wah/whammy. Under the board is a splitter box that takes the stereo cable from my Parker Fly into an a/b box. The acoustic signal goes through the Bodyrez and Ditto, then out the DI box. The electric through the FM 3 (and my other guitar as well, which is what the a/b box is for).
trying to save space as I may add a Morningstar MC3.
Had an AX8 which was incredible and this is all that and then some. (And of course I’m beginning to gas for an all out Axe III)
C44A5C60-6206-457C-B914-DC36ABC6B35F.jpeg

How easy is the Airstep to program??

Depends on the pre-knowledge about midi, but the user interface is nice and clear, the manual that comes with it, not so much. if you need help with anything tho, search for the big PDF-manual or hit me up! I'm currently working on an review/explanation video for YouTube, but it won't be up in while!

Cheers!

This board consists of a 3/4" Ply base (ACX) measuring 28"x14" and 3/16" laminate for the cover. IEC power plug, 2 - XLR for OP-1 and 2 - 1/4" jacks for OP-2, 1 - 1/4" for OP - 2, 1 - 1/4" TRS for CC. The pedal board case is some light duty no name from eBay. Not sure on the weight just yet but I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 Lbs when compleet! I also left a solid 3/8" of clearance between the FM and the FC for ventilation!

Edited for completion!

2nd EDIT for updates!

I have added an H9 Max dark! to free up CPU and got rid of the screws to hold down the top cover an added Neo mags as keeps! Also moved the Sure wireless underneath the cover. And for those that are curious to see how I packed 10lbs of crap into a 5 Lb bag see the pic's.

I have plans to build a second board as a minimal that will have a 2 button and a single cc pedal for just the FM!
She lives!View attachment 68221View attachment 68222View attachment 68223View attachment 68224

I think we have a winner!!!

View attachment 77358

One FM3, One morningstar MC6 (powered from FASLink voltage), two EV2 pedals and a home made two button stand in switch.
Monitored through in-ears signal from the mixing desk. I mainly gig in a mono setting so I only send the LEFT out to the sound desk.
Nice rig, love that setup! Did you buy the midi cable somewhere or did you make it yourself?

Nice rig, love that setup! Did you buy the midi cable somewhere or did you make it yourself?
Thanks.

I made the MIDI cable myself. I had a couple of MIDI connectors (5 Pin and 7 Pin) and just used CAT5 cable and a short piece of snake channel cable (the yellow cable).
I modded my cable to incorporate a standard male XLR connector (no housing - just heat shrink aroung the solder lugs) to plug into the FASlink port and tap into the 12V power present in the FASlink port. From the FASlink port, on a standard XLR connector, pin 2 is positive 12V and pin 1 is the negative.

1610646899473.png1610646928765.png

Thanks.

I made the MIDI cable myself. I had a couple of MIDI connectors (5 Pin and 7 Pin) and just used CAT5 cable and a short piece of snake channel cable (the yellow cable).
I modded my cable to incorporate a standard male XLR connector (no housing - just heat shrink aroung the solder lugs) to plug into the FASlink port and tap into the 12V power present in the FASlink port. From the FASlink port, on a standard XLR connector, pin 2 is positive 12V and pin 1 is the negative.

View attachment 77359View attachment 77360
Nice, thanks for the details!

Thanks.

View attachment 77359View attachment 77360
I just realized I have an old cable from Best-tronics that is 5 to 7 pin midi with the power end (from my AxeII/MFC days). I can simply change the power end to an xlr and shorten. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom