Highly compressed sound on high gain amps

Hi, it's been 11 days since my Fractal Axe Fx III mark II arrived.
I have used all my free time since the day it came, maybe more than I should, my wife is a little pissed off,
but I've been very worried because I can not get a sound that doesn't sounds compressed,
after each session I think about throwing in the towel and giving it back, but I'm so excited to make it sound great and finally enjoy it, that I really need your help.

I've been working creating about 5 presets, 3 clean and 2 high gain (trying to match actual recordings)
... so I think the clean ones sound good, maybe not wow, but ok, but the high gain sound is compressed as hell very digitally, I have been working with the levels and auditioning around 2000 ultrares cab ir's, some third party, but I can not get rid of the compressed sound.

The only good thing is that "in the mix" with a track with uncompressed drums and bass, it sounds really good and the compressed sound is not audible.

Do you guys have any tip for me?

Rule of thumb is to post a preset so people see what your settings are. Otherwise it’s pretty difficult to say what the problem is! You can export the preset using AxeEdit.

One tip though: how loud is it? Everything sounds bad at low volumes.

Most common cause is using too much gain and/or running the master volume in the amp block too high. The more distorted your tone, the more compressed it will be. Clipping is a crude form of compression. Also, IRs are linear and have nothing to do with compression.

I can sympathize a little (though you'll get a lot of help once you post a preset), with your intro to the Axe; when I went from pedals into a clean amp to an Ax8, I really struggled at first with the dynamics and sonic footprint when I put the two right next to each other. In regards to compression: depending on your previous setup you might be better served by the amp models that feature lots of preamp gain and a low master volume rather than cranked amps like Plexis and such. Non-MV amps replicate the fact that the power sections are pushed to their limits and way into compression on their own (which we may not perceive as much with the real thing because they are stupid loud). I discovered that during my first few months with the Ax8, I was running the master volume way higher on the models of amps I already owned. Once I brought the MV down, they responded closer to my expectations.

Since you're playing through IRs, you might be also experiencing the difference between having a cab next to you, blasting out all sorts of low end that gets cut by micing, and the "smaller" sounding IRs. Both of these things together make for useful recorded and FOH sounds, but lack the impact we expect from a live amp.

just some ideas...

hi, thank you guys, Here is an example of a preset, I have taken one as simple as possible.
Hi also attach the cab ir.

Attachments

• Master v2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Marshall1960A-G12Ms-421-CapEdgeOffAxis-5in.syx
    8 KB · Views: 25
So if I lower my master volume to 4 and then turn up my output knob to compensate the low volume, I hear it even more compressed, and the noise of my fingers slinding on the string, when I use Headphones is much more high than my amp sound.

Does it sound compressed to you guys? or is just me?

So if I lower my master volume to 4 and then turn up my output knob to compensate the low volume, I hear it even more compressed, and the noise of my fingers slinding on the string, when I use Headphones is much more high than my amp sound.

Does it sound compressed to you guys? or is just me?
Hi Les Paul Rider, welcome to the forum.
When you use headphones, your tone, especially high gain sounds can sound really compressed. If you have another way of amplifying your Axe, then I would suggest trying that if you haven't already.

That amp block is a mess. I'd start with a block reset. Start with all default settings. Gain to 6, Overdrive to 8, Bass to 0.5, Middle to 4, Treble to 6, Presence to 4, Master to 4. Graphic EQ with the typical Boogie V setup.

Your overall output level was very high too, so the output was close to clipping. Set your amp block output level so the meter in the Output block stays roughly around the 0 dB line.

Hi Les Paul Rider, welcome to the forum.
When you use headphones, your tone, especially high gain sounds can sound really compressed. If you have another way of amplifying your Axe, then I would suggest trying that if you haven't already.
Hi Andrew Jay, thanks for your reply.
that's what I was hoping to hear, that the sound coming out of the headphone output sounds more compressed,
when I'm not using my headphones I plug from the humbuster out to a Marshall Woburn (it's a full range home speaker) and it sounds a little better. Before I buy my set of monitors, I need to decide whether to keep the fractal or not.
I should also point out that I'm used to hearing digital sound, before fractal I used Guitar Rig 5 and in my opinion, the sound by itself is more "HD" than the one you get on the fractal, but in the mix, the sound is much worse in the GR5.

That amp block is a mess. I'd start with a block reset. Start with all default settings. Gain to 6, Overdrive to 8, Bass to 0.5, Middle to 4, Treble to 6, Presence to 4, Master to 4. Graphic EQ with the typical Boogie V setup.

Your overall output level was very high too, so the output was close to clipping. Set your amp block output level so the meter in the Output block stays roughly around the 0 dB line.
Thank you mr_fender for your reply,
I have tried doing the reset of the amp block, and then I used the setting you said, and to me still sounding compressed.
I have checked also the amp block meter in my original preset and with master at 4 I reach -10db max and with master at 10 I reach -0.2db, for this preset I'm using a Ltd with EMG 81-85. and my A/D Input Level is set to 11.4%

Maybe is just me, and the sound is just like this.

Hi Andrew Jay, thanks for your reply.
that's what I was hoping to hear, that the sound coming out of the headphone output sounds more compressed,
when I'm not using my headphones I plug from the humbuster out to a Marshall Woburn (it's a full range home speaker) and it sounds a little better. Before I buy my set of monitors, I need to decide whether to keep the fractal or not.
I should also point out that I'm used to hearing digital sound, before fractal I used Guitar Rig 5 and in my opinion, the sound by itself is more "HD" than the one you get on the fractal, but in the mix, the sound is much worse in the GR5.
The difficult thing is, you won't be able to really tell if you would like the Axe Fx or not without trying it through some proper monitors or through a power amp and guitar cab. If that is possible I highly suggest that before deciding to sell it.
I also see you are using EMGs, I like them and have two 707s that came stock in my 7 string. They are a lot more compressed than my guitars with passive humbuckers, even though those are high output as well. When you use headphones, you definitely want a lot less gain than you may ordinarily like. For your guitar, you may need the master volume even lower, like at 2. You also have the luxury in the Axe to try a different amp model like others have suggested. You could also try the Axe Change and try to find a preset that you like.
The Axe has a learning curve, but in my opinion, it is worth the investment in every sense of the word. I hope that it works out for you.

Thank you mr_fender for your reply,
I have tried doing the reset of the amp block, and then I used the setting you said, and to me still sounding compressed.
I have checked also the amp block meter in my original preset and with master at 4 I reach -10db max and with master at 10 I reach -0.2db, for this preset I'm using a Ltd with EMG 81-85. and my A/D Input Level is set to 11.4%

Maybe is just me, and the sound is just like this.
All my presets sound compressed through headphones but great through FRFRs or even a good guitar cabinet. A good place to start to see if everything sounds compressed through your headphones is to use the stock 001 - 65 BASSGUY — Fender '65 blackface Bassman guitar/bass amplifier (AB165). That would not sound compressed on the cleaner scenes.

The difficult thing is, you won't be able to really tell if you would like the Axe Fx or not without trying it through some proper monitors or through a power amp and guitar cab. If that is possible I highly suggest that before deciding to sell it.
I also see you are using EMGs, I like them and have two 707s that came stock in my 7 string. They are a lot more compressed than my guitars with passive humbuckers, even though those are high output as well. When you use headphones, you definitely want a lot less gain than you may ordinarily like. For your guitar, you may need the master volume even lower, like at 2. You also have the luxury in the Axe to try a different amp model like others have suggested. You could also try the Axe Change and try to find a preset that you like.
The Axe has a learning curve, but in my opinion, it is worth the investment in every sense of the word. I hope that it works out for you.
I have also tried the same preset with my Les Paul with burstbuckers pro and still sounding compressed to me,
I have two real amps, and a 2x12 with v30, I will try it tomorrow through the power amps, because my wife is sleeping right now, thank you for your help.

I wonder if anyone has tried plugging the headphones into a normal output, using a headphone amp as some have done in the first FM3 model that did not have a headphone output.

Back
Top Bottom