PLEXI 50W 6CA7 Sooooo good!

This thing (FM3) is amazing. I recently received mine as well. So many options and much tweak-ability within just the AMP and CAB blocks! The ability to tailor the amp input EQ is wonderful (and now does not require an EQ or perhaps DRIVE block to do so). My entire time devoted to guitar yesterday was spent with one Fender amp model I chose at random (Deluxe Normal or something)... I couldn't stop playing it, just kept playing and playing, different factory cab, then play and play). Great feel! I also really enjoy how well it responds to external boosts (so far I tried a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe and a SoloDallas Storm). Also, a really pleasant surprise for me was the general snappiness of the FM3 Editor compared to the somewhat sluggish (in my experience) AX8 Editor I have gotten used to, but perhaps that was just something with my computer.

Anyone find a happy place with this amp and single coils, for instance a stock EJ strat? So bright, like upper mid-range bright, haven't gotten that settled out yet. It's a lively beast alright, I just can't use it, so far.

Anyone find a happy place with this amp and single coils, for instance a stock EJ strat? So bright, like upper mid-range bright, haven't gotten that settled out yet. It's a lively beast alright, I just can't use it, so far.
Yes. Turn the input gain up a bit more, and it softens the bright cap's effect. My Strat likes the gain around 7.5 or so. Volume knob goes clean-->dirty very nicely for leads. I have it running through York Audio's Marshall G12M20 4x12 - 57-4 and 160-1 (a bit lower in the mix)....

Might have to give it a spin with the FZ JBL cabs and see how it sounds....

Playing all day purely with the Plexiglas 6CA7 + CABs Pre-Rola GB....all tone controls at Max...and a Gibson Les Paul...pure bliss!! Check it out!
This amp is awesome!!!! One of my favorite amps. FM3 unit rules!

My favorite Marshall model on the FM3/Axe-FX III.

Does this work for you? On my Strat (with a Seymour Duncan SSL-5 pickup in the bridge) and my Tele, it sounds great.

Attachments

• Plexi-50W-6CA7-SC.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 42
Thanks, I'll give it a shot when I can, but my EJ is stock like I said, no overwound bridge pickup, and that's where my big pain is.

Is the SSL-5 a lot louder than the others? That was a problem for me on every SSH strat I've tried, even Suhr. Some folks like that I guess, I'm not one of them though.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when I can, but my EJ is stock like I said, no overwound bridge pickup, and that's where my big pain is.

Is the SSL-5 a lot louder than the others? That was a problem for me on every SSH strat I've tried, even Suhr. Some folks like that I guess, I'm not one of them though.

I tried many pickups in the bridge position of my Strat (DiMarzio The Cruiser, Injector, Area 61, some handwound pickup from a guy in Portugal, etc...) and none sounded good. They either denaturalize the Strat sound or they sound too thin and bright.

Eventually I decided to try out the SSL-5, and found the holy grail. It sounds great alone (not too fat, not too thin) and retains the classic Strat tone in position 2.

It is a little louder than the other two, as it’s a hotter output pickup, but it’s somewhat balanced with the middle and neck pickups (which are stock Fender Fat 50s in my case).

Thanks @Denny99, might give that a try that at some point.

Did you ever try the Dimarzio HS-2?
That's supposedly what EJ uses (only one coil of it), and not very high output at all.
Been thinking about trying one too.

Thanks @Denny99, might give that a try that at some point.

Did you ever try the Dimarzio HS-2?
That's supposedly what EJ uses (only one coil of it), and not very high output at all.
Been thinking about trying one too.

Nope, I never tried the HS-2, it might be a good option though. I would probably install it with a push pull pot to get both the HB and the SC sounds.

Back
Top Bottom