What happened to Artists Presets?

They were quick to post a few...then nothing. Kind of a let down, honestly. The concept was a cool way to connect the bedroom warrior with a real rock star. Hopefully they have more in the works.

I'd love to see a Larry Mitchell preset! His original presets for the Axe II were the basis of my sound for years.

On his Facebook feed on Tuesdays he’s explained a few times he no longer shares presets because people complained about them being too dark sounding after he provided them for free.
Larry and I have had this conversation as we both gravitate to darker/warmer tones. Artist presets work for THEM. Go hear Larry play or check out his videos, his sound is very round and not very edgy or cutting. He definitely makes that work for him. This won’t work for everyone. How someone can complain about a free preset is mind boggling.

On his Facebook feed on Tuesdays he’s explained a few times he no longer shares presets because people complained about them being too dark sounding after he provided them for free.

I have often been playing a preset that I previously made and thought to myself that it sounded dark and uninspiring. What on earth was I thinking when I dialed in this tone? Then I'll turn up the volume on my monitors and realize that it actually sounds great. The Fletcher Munson effect is real my friends. I suspect that most pro players have their presets dialed in for live stage volumes and thus the presets may sound dark at practice volumes.

They were quick to post a few...then nothing. Kind of a let down, honestly. The concept was a cool way to connect the bedroom warrior with a real rock star. Hopefully they have more in the works.

I'd love to see a Larry Mitchell preset! His original presets for the Axe II were the basis of my sound for years.

yeah I can’t imagine the pandemic being too much of a hurdle to share/work on a preset file but that may be me being insensitive..

also it’s not that we’re obliged to get one, just wished they didn’t hype it so much and I was at least expecting the very popular fractal artist to share their presets

I don't know which is worse these days. The attitude of entitlement or the ability to easily share one's stupid opinions with the world.

On the other side of the coin, a professional musician, who's been playing decades upon decades must already know that they aren't going to please every single person out there. What about all the one's that heaped praise for his presets? They just got thrown out with the wash? That's entitlement there.

People need to realize that no matter what preset you get from anyone/anywhere, you will have to tweak it to make it sounds good on your rig. No matter what. Also complaining that an artist preset sounds "dark" is very immature after they took the time to export it and share it with everyone. Be grateful they even shared it.

It's also just bedroom players not fully understanding that the artist dials in a tone to work with the band, not by itself.
Not just for bedroom players. I have been playing in cover bands since 2000. Gigging an average of 2-3 shows a month prior to Covid. I havent purchased many presets, but sometimes it is nice to se what others are doing. There is always something to learn by looking how others create.

On the other side of the coin, a professional musician, who's been playing decades upon decades must already know that they aren't going to please every single person out there. What about all the one's that heaped praise for his presets? They just got thrown out with the wash? That's entitlement there.
You realize an artist can share 49 presets over 5 years time and there under exactly zero obligation to ever share one again, right? Yes it’s entitlement but not how you think. THEY’RE entitled to THEIR OWN work in writing presets and using those presets. Larry has been one of the most informative and approachable artists in the fractal roster when someone wants product info or advice.

Presets depend completely on the gear that the person made them on and the gear the end user have. If is not the same, they won't sound the same, or as intended - without some sort of tweaking

To anyone in these threads who has an expectation of an artist having to post a preset: that's nothing more than some misguided sense of entitlement. It was never promised when you bought your Axe FX, nor are you in any way shape or form entitled, just because you want it or you think it would be nice to have it...

I'm glad people feel the same way as me here, we're not entitled to a preset (or on an unrelated note : near weekly firmware updates) and have to adjust presets to your liking/use case always

but I'd like an update from fractal themselves tbh , they even dedicated a whole page on their website

https://www.fractalaudio.com/artist-preset-series/ , IMO should have at least their more famous artists presets ,it would entice potential buyers more I'd bet

Back
Top Bottom