Gibson buying Mesa?

I love my Gibsons, and I love my Mesa. But I like that I have a Gibson, and a Mesa, not a Mesa by Gibson. Not sure how I feel about this.....
Can't wait for the Mesa Custom Shop amps. 20,000 because they reliced it.

Mesa Boogie by Gibson Dual Rectifier Custom Shop 1996 Heavy Relic Aged Historic Reissue

I absolutely can't see how this will not negatively influence the brand, by all means. Gibson is Gibson, not really known for their expertise on modern amps

This sucks. My heart truly sank when I read that. My first high gain amp was a 50 Caliber. Really fond memories.

Well since Gibson needs cash and preferably lots of it they will suck mesa dry if they can. I expect all the standard issues when mesa gets budget cuts: quality control and innovation will suffer. Quantity over quality. Maybe some cheap mesa series and a price increase for the “good” series. The better and committed employees will leave... sigh. I’d better buy a nice mesa now as an investment.

Fact is, there’s nothing in Mesa amps that requires that they are made in the US. It’s 50+ years old tech the Chinese are perfectly capable of manufacturing. It’s certainly not iPhone where components are so small you can’t see some of them them with the naked eye anymore, and the Chinese manage fine with that. I’d love if they continued to make their amps here, but the US is pretty unfriendly to businesses that do anything real nowadays, and those amps are already made mostly with Chinese and Taiwanese components.

I bought my first Boogie back in the days when it could only be ordered from Randall and Rayven, and I put a down payment on it, and waited several months for the notification it was ready. There was no such thing as buying a Boogie new from a store.

Now it’s gone from that to this.... a long road. Not the ending I’d have envisioned, but Randy has been at it 50 years and contributed a lot to guitarists over that span. He‘s an icon, an innovator. I wish him the best.

I still have three of my soon-to-be-called Pre-Gibson Boogies, but wish I’d have grabbed one of those early 70s MK I amps in the days before the prices got ridiculous.

I bought my first Boogie back in the days when it could only be ordered from Randall and Rayven, and I put a down payment on it, and waited several months for the notification it was ready. There was no such thing as buying a Boogie new from a store.

Now it’s gone from that to this.... a long road. Not the ending I’d have envisioned, but Randy has been at it 50 years and contributed a lot to guitarists over that span. He‘s an icon, an innovator. I wish him the best.

I still have three of my soon-to-be-called Pre-Gibson Boogies, but wish I’d have grabbed one of those early 70s MK I amps in the days before the prices got ridiculous.

Same thoughts here! I drooled over a Mark I in 1979! Being a teenager was out of my price range!

Finally ordered a fully loaded Simul-Class Mark III IN 86’ ...took 4 months!

The sound and tone is crazy huge!!

They didn’t kill it, they just sold it to someone for whom its dev cost is a rounding error: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk, so it’s now free. I do agree with your second point. They don’t know how to run this business, and are too stupid to learn from Fender, which is absolutely crushing it and building up its already legendary brand to god status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steinberger would be making so much money nowadays. They were decades ahead of their time.

tru dat

i saw a white GM with black binding in a guitar store when i was about 18 and it looked like it had come from the future. from space, in the future actually. amazing, gorgeous instrument. who wouldn't want one of these now...

kufli6ghbvrqoh1fj5ur.jpg

with a koa body? oh no you didn't

fbec00555587a0174004f218b06f95d0.jpg

Last edited:
That's not to mention their carbon fiber stuff. Costs a fortune now. Sounds and plays great. Shape won't be to everyone's liking, but that's easily fixable.

tru dat

i saw a white GM with black binding in a guitar store when i was about 18 and it looked like it had come from the future. from space, in the future actually. amazing, gorgeous instrument. who wouldn't want one of these now...

View attachment 77109

with a koa body? oh no you didn't

View attachment 77110
Same for me, I saw a black GM1T with white binding when I was 19 like the one Mike Rutherford was playing in the ad and a little over a decade later managed to get a GM7TA. The sad part is I hadn't played it much for a number of years until EVH passed and I had to break it out for Summer Nights. Feels like I will be keeping my Mesa's for posterity now as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3427.jpg
    IMG_3427.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Are you folks referring to Gibson before the new CEO who took over a couple of years ago? I thought the new guy was turning things around and correcting a lot of the missteps and bad decisions from prior management? Also, for all we know, maybe Boogie wasn't doing as well as we thought and they needed someone like Gibson just like Line6 needed someone like Yamaha. In the end everything will be fine, Boogie will be Boogie and Gibson will be Gibson. Boogie is not going to turn to poop, love my RectoVerb!

Anyone who has been paying attention to Gibson the last 40 years or so has had the same reaction to this news. Assuming that “everything will be fine” with Gibsons track record of brand acquisitions is being awfully faithful.

The new management at Gibson hasn’t been there long enough to turn perception of the brand around yet. The colossal “play authentic” misstep with Agnesi killed most enthusiasm people had that Henry Juszkiewicz was out. It also didn’t build confidence that James Curleigh was going to restore the brands image.

Enjoy your RectoVerb. Great amp :).

I did the exact same thing as a starving college student in 1984 - but I was gigging in a band to pay for it!

Back
Top Bottom