Lower output pickups + heavier music? Samples?

The SSH+ is a pickup that responds well to volume knob adjustments. I find it to be on the brighter side (which I like).

It’s a nice pickup for sure, but hotter than I want for this guitar. I just placed an order for a PG after listening to a few demos on YouTube. Well see how it works out when it shows up, if not I’ll return to SD and try the AII or 59.

I’ll keep the SSH+ for another guitar. I really like the sound on heavier stuff, but it’s not doing it for me on more dynamic stuff.

It’s a nice pickup for sure, but hotter than I want for this guitar. I just placed an order for a PG after listening to a few demos on YouTube. Well see how it works out when it shows up, if not I’ll return to SD and try the AII or 59.

I’ll keep the SSH+ for another guitar. I really like the sound on heavier stuff, but it’s not doing it for me on more dynamic stuff.
I would suggest the Thornbucker plus from Suhr. It's a killer PAF-style pickup, probably my favourite ever in that category.

So I got the Pearly Gates in while I was at work. I got home, threw her in really quick and I just gotta say wow. I was really hesitant to order this pickup because a lot of people use them in LPs, I figured the longer scale and trem would make it too bright... but I can see why so many people love this pickup. It is AWESOME. Split, it sounds wonderful. It sounds more like single coil split than the stock pickups do for sure.

It’s safe to say I like it. I should already be done my shower and in bed right now but I just kept playing. Whoops!

Watching this thread. I have a PRS CE-24 with the HFS/VB pickups, which are way too compressed sounding for my taste, and am looking for something a little lower output and more dynamic.
I have "Tuner" series CE-24 (DuPont paint colors) and swapped the HFS/VB pickups for a Dimarzio Mo' Joe bridge, PAF Pro neck combination and couldn't be happier. The Mo' Joe still has some of the 'vocal' characteristic I liked about the HFS but has more clarity and midrange bite. The PAF Pro is simply a great neck pickup, not muddy at all IME.

I still can’t put this guitar down.

Any recommendations for a neck pickup? From sound samples the PG neck seems really boomy. I was thinking a 59 maybe?

I have "Tuner" series CE-24 (DuPont paint colors) and swapped the HFS/VB pickups for a Dimarzio Mo' Joe bridge, PAF Pro neck combination and couldn't be happier. The Mo' Joe still has some of the 'vocal' characteristic I liked about the HFS but has more clarity and midrange bite. The PAF Pro is simply a great neck pickup, not muddy at all IME.
The Mo Joe is based on the PAF Pro, correct? I had a Fred back in the early 90s that I liked a lot.

The Mo Joe is based on the PAF Pro, correct? I had a Fred back in the early 90s that I liked a lot.
My understanding is the PAF Pro was kind of a baseline for Satriani's pickups, they at least use the PAF Pro as a comparison. The PAF Joe was intended to be an attempt to morph the PAF Pro with a Gibson PAF. The FRED has more mids than the PAF Pro and the Mo' Joe has a bit more power and less highs than the FRED which is why I chose the Mo' Joe. Wanted a thicker sound.

My understanding is the PAF Pro was kind of a baseline for Satriani's pickups, they at least use the PAF Pro as a comparison. The PAF Joe was intended to be an attempt to morph the PAF Pro with a Gibson PAF. The FRED has more mids than the PAF Pro and the Mo' Joe has a bit more power and less highs than the FRED which is why I chose the Mo' Joe. Wanted a thicker sound.
Awesome, thank you. I definitely have some thinking to do.

I think you’ll love some lower output pickups for heavy stuff. I’ve had the same $80 Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro in my Les Paul for 20 years and can’t see myself ever changing it. It’s a clear but not harsh, and isn’t muddy. I like that you can use your bass knob without things getting too flubby.

Here’s the Alnico II Pro through a 5150 (not boosted). It sounds big and still has nice clarity with palm mutes and complex chords. Definitely worth checking out for an all-rounder pickup.

Really love the tone! what exact IR did you use, if I may ask?

Resurrecting this thread…

So I installed a set of PRS 57/08’s into my CE-24 and I am totally in love with this guitar now. I now see why I hated the stock HFS/VB pickups. They were way too hot and way to compressed. The guitar actually sounds like a guitar now. I am now a firm believer in lower output pickups. The dynamics, clarity, and note separation are unbelievable.

I’ve been playing through the Super Lead models with Greenbacks and a boost and it’s absolute tits!

Here is my beauty I just picked up. 2014 model in like new shape has the 57/08 pups

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 6
I have a Wilde/Lawrence L90 set in my HLK original-shape Lady Luck. 2H at the neck and 4H at the bridge. Great clarity and bite, and can play most any style with them....

Back
Top Bottom