My thoughts so far as a FM3 rookie

cableguy

Inspired
So I've had my FM3 at most 2 months. I have a job, wife & kids, so I do not get to play it as much as a lot of you. I'm a bass player, but also a hack guitarist. (That's my story & I'm sticking to it.) I sold my AX8 a few years back because it was just a bit much for me at the time. This time I'm diving in slowly, in small doses. The stock presets are really all I need for writing/recording and my meager guitar ability. I bought Austin Buddy's bass pack which was a great investment. (Highly recommend) I will at some point take Cooper Carters course as well. I'm an old analog dog trying to learn new tricks. :cool:
First off I will say the FM3 is fantastic. I can get some really good bass sounds. I'm just getting into using controllers via expression pedal & scenes. So cool. I also just tried using a mixer so I can really get some cool and different sounds within the same preset. (Also using controllers to control the mixer) I would say I highly recommend getting the FM3 if you're on the fence. From my dive into the FM3, there are really only a few things I think it could use. Nothing that's a total gamechanger, but as a bassist would put me over the top. ( I know as bassist we are not Fractals target audience & I get the scale of economics trying to do bass specific design)
What would put this totally over the top for me personally you ask? 1) a X-over block. 2) A GK amp. Other than that, the FM3 has everything I need. I'm at the start of my journey and already I have some very good bass sounds going. By the end of the year I hope to have some great ones! (I have a week off soon) If there were gigs, I could easily gig the FM3 tonight. So, Cheers Fractal Audio!
Thank you for an awesome product!🤘🤘🤘

Check out Leon Todd on Youtube. Cool cat, hella player and really dives simple and also deep with all Fractal products. Cooper Carter's class in amazing and well worth the money. Leon!!! You need to do something like Cooper! Dollar bills yo!

So I've had my FM3 at most 2 months. I have a job, wife & kids, so I do not get to play it as much as a lot of you. I'm a bass player, but also a hack guitarist. (That's my story & I'm sticking to it.) I sold my AX8 a few years back because it was just a bit much for me at the time. This time I'm diving in slowly, in small doses. The stock presets are really all I need for writing/recording and my meager guitar ability. I bought Austin Buddy's bass pack which was a great investment. (Highly recommend) I will at some point take Cooper Carters course as well. I'm an old analog dog trying to learn new tricks. :cool:
First off I will say the FM3 is fantastic. I can get some really good bass sounds. I'm just getting into using controllers via expression pedal & scenes. So cool. I also just tried using a mixer so I can really get some cool and different sounds within the same preset. (Also using controllers to control the mixer) I would say I highly recommend getting the FM3 if you're on the fence. From my dive into the FM3, there are really only a few things I think it could use. Nothing that's a total gamechanger, but as a bassist would put me over the top. ( I know as bassist we are not Fractals target audience & I get the scale of economics trying to do bass specific design)
What would put this totally over the top for me personally you ask? 1) a X-over block. 2) A GK amp. Other than that, the FM3 has everything I need. I'm at the start of my journey and already I have some very good bass sounds going. By the end of the year I hope to have some great ones! (I have a week off soon) If there were gigs, I could easily gig the FM3 tonight. So, Cheers Fractal Audio!
Thank you for an awesome product!🤘🤘🤘
Great post. I've had mine for 5 days. Blown away already. Never been a Fractal user before. Jumped in when the Quad Cortex kept getting delayed again and again. There's so much to learn but it's totally worth it as an investment in time.

What is an X-over block?

(x-over = Crossover) It divides the signal by frequency. I believe the AF3 has one. As a bassist I like to let my dirt/grind & sometimes even modulation ride on the high frequency signal, while the low frequency is un-effected. Back in the 80's I even bi-amped. :D It avoids the dreaded tone suck some pedals/effects would cause on the low frequency's. I can use HPF & LPF in blocks as a work around, it just makes it a little more difficult.

Leon's bookmarked on my browser. Great stuff!
Leon and Cooper are top notch. The Carter Master Class for the FM3 is worth every penny and always a good reference! Both can play, both can explain stuff without getting overblown and most of all neither are cheesy! As an older person it's nice concise information without someone trying to be soooo cooool. Sorry, I just became my dad!

(x-over = Crossover) It divides the signal by frequency. I believe the AF3 has one. As a bassist I like to let my dirt/grind & sometimes even modulation ride on the high frequency signal, while the low frequency is un-effected. Back in the 80's I even bi-amped. :D It avoids the dreaded tone suck some pedals/effects would cause on the low frequency's. I can use HPF & LPF in blocks as a work around, it just makes it a little more difficult.
Kind of a Billy Sheehan thing? I dabble in Bass and if I had his Mr. Big sound and Geddy's Moving Pictures sound I'd be set.

Kind of a Billy Sheehan thing? I dabble in Bass and if I had his Mr. Big sound and Geddy's Moving Pictures sound I'd be set.

Billy does it, although I lean more toward a Dug Pinnick sound.(With a little AIC/Queensryche) At least in my original 3-piece rock band. I go for a cleaner, fat tube amp sound for worship and/or blues.

I am a 35 year guitar and bass player and ever since 2014 I have been eyeing the Axe FX in its various versions. I also have graduated from various things and I know what I like and I like what I want now. I have read the forums here for a few days making a decision I think I already made when I registered. I will purchase the FM3. I waited until they had something that wasnt a rack unit. Really wish you could offload CPU functions onto a computer with it for extra speed over the USB cable. But I will purchase one sometime in the next 2 weeks. Thanks for your review.

Back
Top Bottom