ONE Expression for different uses with scenes?

Gasp100

Power User
I'm attempting to keep my FM3 footprint very small. I have a dual Mosky footswitch (which I dig), but I am thinking of reverting back to: Dunlop mini expression + Fm3. The main reason is this means I would not need a board at all. I have gigged that configuration in the past without issues and I feel more comfortable getting around layouts and such now with my current FM3.
I'm utilizing scenes more then presets (will still build multiple presets, but for the most part I feel like scenes + channels are the path forward).
Here is my scenario:
Footswitch #1, Scene 1 - Dry Clean. Long press = Scene 4 - Wet Clean. I rarely if ever use WAH on clean, so I would like to consider using ROTARY assigned to the expression pedal and I think this could be really nice, slowly ramping up the effect and other params? Anyone have any hints using an expression with ROTARY block? I would need it OFF heal down and traverse all the way up to nice, chewy, leslie-like tones and warble.

Footswitch #2, Scene 2 - Dirty rock rhythm. Long press = Master Layout. Here is where I miss the Mosky because I could have long press = another scene with say Trem applied. But I absolutely need a "Home" buttonand Master Layout is it. I would still want the same ROTARY action on expression for this scene.

Footswitch #3, Scene 3 - Big Lead. Long press = Scene 6 - Big Lead with huge delay. Now for this I would drop the Rotary and want WAH autoengaged for leads. The reason I want WAH autoengaged is because I will still rarely use it, but every once in a while gotta hit Dat Wah, ya know?!

Is it possible to drop the rotary function and autoengage the WAH using THE SAME expression pedal?
Will autoengage be the issue?

I actually don't know if this is possible. Are controller assignments per preset? or per channel?

Per-channel controllers would be hella useful, tbh.

You can use one exp pedal with different blocks by running parallel paths. Where the wah and rotary are not on the same grid line. Just add a filter block before the block that needs to be muted for each scene and it will work as you described... as the wah will actually be engaged for scene 1-2, but you wont have it in the signal chain until it is unmuted for scene #3

You can use one exp pedal with different blocks by running parallel paths. Where the wah and rotary are not on the same grid line. Just add a filter block before the block that needs to be muted for each scene and it will work as you described... as the wah will actually be engaged for scene 1-2, but you wont have it in the signal chain until it is unmuted for scene #3
The Multiplexer block is purposely built for this... No need for a Filter.

Is it possible to drop the rotary function and autoengage the WAH using THE SAME expression pedal?
Will autoengage be the issue?
Since you are using different scenes, yes.

You can assign the expression pedal controller (or any modifier) to either ALL channels or a SINGLE channel of any block.

Just use the single channel option for both the Wah and Rotary and make sure to have each block on the controlled (or not controlled) channel as appropriate for each scene.

I use one expression pedal as a volume controller is some scenes and as a wah controller in others. I just disable the block I am not using and set the active blocks parameter I want to control as the target.

Same Here I use one EXP Pedal and Channels and Scenes and it works perfect. I have one Preset where Scene 1 its an Volume. Scene 3 4 5 its a wah Scene 6 its a whammy

I have lots of Presets where its a volume pedal on all scenes except Scene 3 and 6 where it switches to being a WAH

I have a dual Mosky footswitch (which I dig), but I am thinking of reverting back to: Dunlop mini expression + Fm3. The main reason is this means I would not need a board at all.
Slightly off-topic but I also run without a pedalboard at present. Dunlop mini and Rowin dual footswitch. The reason I got the Rowin is because it’s a lower height, bigger area. It’s sufficiently heavy that it doesn’t move around and has a rubber backing which helps.

I have considered mounting it on a light piece of wood with 2 strips glued to it that would run through the space under the FM3 and use the attached strips to anchor it - I don’t know if I am clear enough in describing this but will try and draw a picture it
would help. However to date I haven’t needed to try doing that.

.9CD3AE22-1383-4F34-BF7B-E0BC2BE5016D.jpeg1608764021152.jpeg

Last edited:
I use one expression pedal as a volume controller is some scenes and as a wah controller in others. I just disable the block I am not using and set the active blocks parameter I want to control as the target.

But wouldn't autoengage engage the WAH even though it was disabled?

There are several options for programming a preset to use a single expression pedal for different purposes. Here's one with the MUX (= Multiplexer = M-Plex), which allows you to keep using Auto-Engage.

The MUX dictates which preceding row is passed through. Because the MUX has (6) channels, you can set it per Scene.

In the picture below, MUX channel A passes row 1, which is the Wah. It's bypassed but it engages through Auto-Engage.
MUX channel B passes row 2, which is a Whammy. Channel C is another Wah, and D is a pedal-controlled ring modulator.
While the single pedal controls all 4 blocks, only one will be heard because of the selected MUX-channel.

You can change the MUX channels on the fly with a foot switch, but you can also set the channel per scene.

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-24 om 09.10.29.png

I don't have it configured to engage on toe down or heel down. Since I am using a scene to enable the wah, it doesn't make sense to do that.

I see, so if I normally keep my expression in the heel down position, DON'T use auto-engage. Just ALWAYS have the wah engaged on the scenes I want, the always have the rotary on the scenes I want and wah DISABLED?

There are several options for programming a preset to use a single expression pedal for different purposes. Here's one with the MUX (= Multiplexer = M-Plex), which allows you to keep using Auto-Engage.

The MUX dictates which preceding row is passed through. Because the MUX has (6) channels, you can set it per Scene.

In the picture below, MUX channel A passes row 1, which is the Wah. It's bypassed but it engages through Auto-Engage.
MUX channel B passes row 2, which is a Whammy. Channel C is another Wah, and D is a pedal-controlled ring modulator.
While the single pedal controls all 4 blocks, only one will be heard because of the selected MUX-channel.

You can change the MUX channels on the fly with a foot switch, but you can also set the channel per scene.

View attachment 76691

HOLY CRAP!!!
It will take a little while to soak this in but this is crazy cool.

Not if you turn off Autoengage. ;)

But then I have to "burn" a scene (actually two). One dedicated to an engaged wah. If I have the wah engaged on any scene it's in the path if that makes sense? I have my gig preset setup to toggle: Scene 1/4, 2/5, 3/6 and none of those use wah or rotary. I want to control wah or rotary separately using a single expression pedal, not a dedicated scene.

Back
Top Bottom