FM3 Firmware Version 3.01

Why are you thinking that they are not correct after resetting, which sets everything to model default?

The thing that caught me eye was that I use Amp 90 - Class A 30W HOT and Amp 91 - Class A 30W TB. The reset Amp settings for the Amp 91 - Class A 30W TB:-

Compression %77.8
Harmonics 0.450
Hardness 0.00
Grid Clipping %30

Yet Amp 90 - Class A 30W HOT is the same Amp as Amp 91 - Class A 30W TB - but with the HOT Switch engaged which simply lifts most of the EQ circuit out of the path - hence its tougher / grindier sounding but its values are:-

Compression %0.00
Harmonics 0.510
Hardness 0.00
Grid Clipping %30

I'm not saying there are definitely wrong, but the values are hugely different for simply engaging the HOT switch (?)

I could of course be totally wrong.

Thanks,
Ben

The thing that caught me eye was that I use Amp 90 - Class A 30W HOT and Amp 91 - Class A 30W TB. The reset Amp settings for the Amp 91 - Class A 30W TB:-

Compression %77.8
Harmonics 0.450
Hardness 0.00
Grid Clipping %30

Yet Amp 90 - Class A 30W HOT is the same Amp as Amp 91 - Class A 30W TB - but with the HOT Switch engaged which simply lifts most of the EQ circuit out of the path - hence its tougher / grindier sounding but its values are:-

Compression %0.00
Harmonics 0.510
Hardness 0.00
Grid Clipping %30

I'm not saying there are definitely wrong, but the values are hugely different for simply engaging the HOT switch (?)

I could of course be totally wrong.

Thanks,
Ben
The values are correct. Cathode followers don't compress if the tone stack is lifted.

I got the 59 Bassman Jumped with 3.0 the other day. Does that mean I actually got 3.01? My FM3 says 3.0.

The compression fix has caused me to revisit quite a few presets...including stock ones.
I am getting "zippering" on some for sure as I roll from 0 -100%

EDIT at 3.01, latest Fm3 Edit. This was through my ASM, OUT 2 XLR at Stage volume....

The compression fix has caused me to revisit quite a few presets...including stock ones.

As you roll the Cathode follower compression knob from 0 to 100? I think that's expected, changing the amount of compression while audio is playing back can cause weird jumps in volume as the amount it's compressed by suddenly changes.

EDIT at 3.01, latest Fm3 Edit. This was through my ASM, OUT 2 XLR at Stage volume....
As @IronSean said. You can't attach a modifier to that parameter for exactly that reason. A lot has to happen in the background when you change that value.

Roll what?

Roll the dial, in FM3 edit.....amp/dynamics page, Cathode follower compression, from 0-100%

I was auditioning lots of stock presets amps......to understand how this control works and what it does. for the Amps that utilize it,
IMO, this control should be on the ideal page our somewhere not buried ...it has a profound effect on the directness of some amps. I like !!!
I was able to get a much better AITR feel here on some by reducing this to almost Zero.

Roll the dial, in FM3 edit.....amp/dynamics page, Cathode follower compression, from 0-100%
zippering with certain parameters is expected, as many calculations are made with every change. that's why these don't allow modifiers, as you wouldn't/shouldn't be incrementally changing these parameters during a performance.

IMO, this control should be on the ideal page our somewhere not buried .
to someone just starting with the Axe or FM3, if this was on a "basic" page along with the Bass, Middle, Treble, etc., he might say "the unit is too difficult to use because there's something called Cathode Follower Compression and that's too advanced for me."

it's tough to arrange the parameters in a way that works for everyone.

to someone just starting with the Axe or FM3, if this was on a "basic" page along with the Bass, Middle, Treble, etc., he might say "the unit is too difficult to use because there's something called Cathode Follower Compression and that's too advanced for me."

it's tough to arrange the parameters in a way that works for everyone.

Just a thought and more like a feature request for fm edit: What do you think about a custom page, where a user could arrange all the parameter that he/she uses most frequently in a way he wants? Maybe add a grouping of parameters in there, some scrolling. This way, you could give more advanced users the ability to customize their experience, but would not overload new one users.

Just a thought and more like a feature request for fm edit: What do you think about a custom page, where a user could arrange all the parameter that he/she uses most frequently in a way he wants? Maybe add a grouping of parameters in there, some scrolling. This way, you could give more advanced users the ability to customize their experience, but would not overload new one users.
You just described the Performance page. It’s a feature of the Axe-Fx III, and it’s plannrd for the FM3.

You just described the Performance page. It’s a feature of the Axe-Fx III, and it’s plannrd for the FM3.

Oh good to know! However, I always thought that performance page would be an FM3 feature. My variant would be FM Edit only. Is it also planned for FM Edit?

Well, I must say, that FW3.00 brought an insane improvement in power amp modelling. It's really a jump forward! I compared the FM3 to the AMP and must say, that changing the impedance curve and playing with it makes a huuuge difference. But I'm still missing some nasty top end people. I think, that most people are just thinking about low end, but not top end. A tube amp IS nasty in top end, has ton of frequencies around 2k and overall if you measure the dB's of palm mutes and compare to let's say and open A or D chord, there's just a minor volume difference of 4-5dB. But on the FM3, the low end is massive, while the top end is lacking behind around 10-15dB! Just go to OUT1 block and have a look what happens when playing an open D or A chord and then some palm mutes on Em. This actually forces me to use some EQ boost around 2-4kHz to make it cut in a band where the other guy is using a real amp. So please don't forget about the top end resonance and how the amp responds there as well!

Otherwise just thank you that the FM3 now has such a great support! Happy Christmass as well :D

Well, I must say, that FW3.00 brought an insane improvement in power amp modelling. It's really a jump forward! I compared the FM3 to the AMP and must say, that changing the impedance curve and playing with it makes a huuuge difference. But I'm still missing some nasty top end people. I think, that most people are just thinking about low end, but not top end. A tube amp IS nasty in top end, has ton of frequencies around 2k and overall if you measure the dB's of palm mutes and compare to let's say and open A or D chord, there's just a minor volume difference of 4-5dB. But on the FM3, the low end is massive, while the top end is lacking behind around 10-15dB! Just go to OUT1 block and have a look what happens when playing an open D or A chord and then some palm mutes on Em. This actually forces me to use some EQ boost around 2-4kHz to make it cut in a band where the other guy is using a real amp. So please don't forget about the top end resonance and how the amp responds there as well!

Otherwise just thank you that the FM3 now has such a great support! Happy Christmass as well :D

Ya know...
I was just dialing in a tone for a a particular tune Earlier today and got frustrated that I couldn’t get it quite right with just the amp block. Added an eq block and only boosted 2-4k (I think It was) and it really brought it to life...
I feel like I should have been able to do it with just the amp but I’m guessing it’s just me. At any rate it got me there...

Ya know...
I was just dialing in a tone for a a particular tune Earlier today and got frustrated that I couldn’t get it quite right with just the amp block. Added an eq block and only boosted 2-4k (I think It was) and it really brought it to life...
I feel like I should have been able to do it with just the amp but I’m guessing it’s just me. At any rate it got me there...
Did you try the Graphic EQ in the Amp block?

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom